Photo

[REF] Cooking info, kitchen, tools, etc ....

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
675 replies to this topic

DocSnyder

DocSnyder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:Omnia II
Yeah, my first cooked German ROM is ready! 177MB free!

EDIT: Free RAM on first boot 77,74MB!

2 questions:
Why my changes on the registry away? I'm sure that i save my changes!
Where can i find folders like "autostart" etc?

Edited by DocSnyder, 30 December 2009 - 01:32 PM.

MrChiliCheese

MrChiliCheese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Great @DocSnyder.... i'm working on it too...

Thanks to everyone, it seems to be easy. Thanks for your hardwork :-)

gtryf

gtryf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Why my changes on the registry away? I'm sure that i save my changes!

You have to make sure that there are no entries in the *.provxml files that override your changes. Look for them in the OEMApps and in the language folder. In particular, all files called mxipupdate_*.provxml are processed every time you soft reset (if I am not mistaken).

Where can i find folders like "autostart" etc?

I am not sure I understand your question, but if you're asking where you can find the autostart folder to copy files, there are two places: a. in the initflashfiles.dat and b. in the *.provxml files, but there is a catch: these folders are special and language dependant, so they are encoded as CE strings. Check out this link for more information.

HTH

Edited by gtryf, 30 December 2009 - 01:59 PM.

MrChiliCheese

MrChiliCheese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Ok, not as easy as i thought :) i used Sorgs utility to dump and extracted it with pakos executor... Now i have another file "OS.nb" and a "dump"-folder with all the files. So, this looks like i can just delete and add files like i want? But where are the informationen about the path are stored? And how to edit the registry?

DocSnyder

DocSnyder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

You have to make sure that there are no entries in the *.provxml files that override your changes. Look for them in the OEMApps and in the language folder. In particular, all files called mxipupdate_*.provxml are processed every time you soft reset (if I am not mistaken).

I am not sure I understand your question, but if you're asking where you can find the autostart folder to copy files, there are two places: a. in the initflashfiles.dat and b. in the *.provxml files, but there is a catch: these folders are special and language dependant, so they are encoded as CE strings. Check out this link for more information.

HTH

You are my man! Thank you!!!

Is this possible to delete mxipcold_zzzOEM_QIK.provxml? When i delete all QIK files?

Edited by DocSnyder, 30 December 2009 - 02:50 PM.

gtryf

gtryf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Yes, it is. That's basically the idea.

~~ =)

~~ =)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for information, at least now i am success on "making rom" from that software, unpack and pack up ~

Time to find samsung software for delete!!

=)

rodrigofd

rodrigofd

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Devices:Omnia 2 I8000; HTC Fuze
Regarding provxml, not only mxipupdate_*.provxml but also consider mxip_* and mxipcold_* that also get processed.

For the ones asking above, remember all files in a rom get stored in \Windows\*.* by default. YOU CANNOT change destination directory, what you can do is make copy of them to different paths, by using either .provxml files or the single 'initflashfiles.dat' file.

In short you have to edit 3 kinds of files:

- *.RGU are registry settings file. Format is identical to the *.REG format used by Windows Registry Editor. Edit them in notepad, always save as UNICODE, first line must be REGEDIT4, and you have to keep an empty line (enter key) at the end of file.

Samsung original ROMs have a single 'huge' RGU file that contains registry settings for ALL OEM apps, and all samsung customizations to WM.

- INITFLASHFILES.DAT is a single, optional file, that is put in the dump, that indicates file operations directives, in text format. Study the included one by samsung, to learn how to use it, there are just a few commands.
NOTE: this file is in unicode, but you MUST NOT include the byte-order mark. What's that? When you save a textfile in Windows as unicode, two additional bytes are added to beginning of file (invisible while editing). So after modifying, edit it in a hex editor (like WinHEX), and REMOVE FIRST TWO BYTES.

- *.PROVXML are what is called 'provisioning files'. They are XML text files, that include various kinds of commands, including file operations, registry modifications, certificates installations, network settings, etc. All files starting with mxip_*, mxipupdate_* and mxipcold_* will get processed at first boot. Syntax is the same as the '_setup.xml' file that usually goes inside CAB installation packages.

File format is extensive so look for it on internet.

NOTE: if any file referenced in a PROVXML DOES NOT EXIST in the dump, then THE WHOLE PROVXML file IS IGNORED.
This is a common mistake: you remove some files from dump, like shortcuts, that are referenced in a PROVXML, then the whole PROVXML isn't processed. Keep in mind that.

Cooking ROMs for I8000 & I8000L

Want to support my work?? :)

Posted Image / EUR: Posted Image

MrChiliCheese

MrChiliCheese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Wow, thanks for the information ~ right when i needed it :-)

- INITFLASHFILES.DAT is a single, optional file, that is put in the dump, that indicates file operations directives, in text format. Study the included one by samsung, to learn how to use it, there are just a few commands.
NOTE: this file is in unicode, but you MUST NOT include the byte-order mark. What's that? When you save a textfile in Windows as unicode, two additional bytes are added to beginning of file (invisible while editing). So after modifying, edit it in a hex editor (like WinHEX), and REMOVE FIRST TWO BYTES.

Is this a general windows think or only on notepad/editor?

edit: So, i changed some values, for testing. Then i used pako executor to assemble (i closed the relocator windows, that was ok?)... Now i have "PDA_091230_165150.nb0" but i don't now what to do... just flash? need to select a csc-File?

Edited by MrChiliCheese, 30 December 2009 - 04:06 PM.

DocSnyder

DocSnyder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Nice tips!
My new version is very fast and small! 78,58MB RAM and 191,73MB free storage. Only some registry tweaks and than is the rom ready!
I'am happy!!!!

kaplex

kaplex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

After playing with CSC to get files for Samsung Today, I thought maybe it will be useful to have something to dump or just check what files are in the CSC. So I just wrote this little application (nothing fancy) and hopefully it works.

It lists the files for selected CSC and can dump all the files in selected CSC or selected CSC itself. There are still some values in the CSC that I don't know what they are but I think the dumped files are OK. Maybe I should put the header for the dumped CSC file but for now I don't need it - it is recognized by Octans when you loaded so maybe it will flash OK as well. The files are dumped in the same folder where the main CSC is.

If you try it and something doesn't work, let me know. Maybe I will have some time to fix it.

Edit:

Made a little change, thought it might be better to save files in different directories. Dumped files from CSC are saved in the directory with the name of the CSC and dumped CSC file is in the same directory as main CSC.

Thanks wes58 for your graphical tool. is it possible we can make changes to the csc file, and repacking it back. so we can flash with .mst files?

kaplex

kaplex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

NOTE: if any file referenced in a PROVXML DOES NOT EXIST in the dump, then THE WHOLE PROVXML file IS IGNORED.
This is a common mistake: you remove some files from dump, like shortcuts, that are referenced in a PROVXML, then the whole PROVXML isn't processed. Keep in mind that.

Thanks for pointed out... appreciated that...

rodrigofd

rodrigofd

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Wow, thanks for the information ~ right when i needed it :-)

Is this a general windows think or only on notepad/editor?

edit: So, i changed some values, for testing. Then i used pako executor to assemble (i closed the relocator windows, that was ok?)... Now i have "PDA_091230_165150.nb0" but i don't now what to do... just flash? need to select a csc-File?

Yes, just flash. You can flash just your PDA ROM in NB0 format, no need to do it at the same time with CSC, EBOOT or PHONE. All four flashable files can be done independently.

MrChiliCheese

MrChiliCheese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
@rodrigofd: man, you're the best :-)
So, how are u working? U write down which files you deleted, so you know how to do again with a new ROM?

rodrigofd

rodrigofd

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

@rodrigofd: man, you're the best :-)
So, how are u working? U write down which files you deleted, so you know how to do again with a new ROM?

Hehe..

No, i don't delete ANY file.. i just move them to accesory folders, building something like a 'repository'... same for removed settings, shortcuts etc... i try not to loose anything...

MrChiliCheese

MrChiliCheese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Ok, i hope i understood it right... But what u do is removing this files from the cooked rom?

I think it just clicked in main brain :)
Anyfile in the rom is stored by default in the Windows dir... the thing that make my storage smaller is the copy of that file?

edit: is it safe to remove the other imei******.pfg files?

edit²: what do you prefer when disambling the rom-dump? Option "dump" or "packet"... does it make a difference, or is it just an other cooking experience? ;)

Edited by MrChiliCheese, 30 December 2009 - 07:07 PM.

wes58

wes58

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Devices:I900

Hehe..

No, i don't delete ANY file.. i just move them to accesory folders, building something like a 'repository'... same for removed settings, shortcuts etc... i try not to loose anything...

What I found to be useful, is an application "FolderMatch". With this you can compare the contents of two folders (for example your original rom dump and custimized one) and see the differences. You can also export it to the text file so you know which files/folders you deleted.

If you find this Application useful, you can buy me a glass of wine

Posted Image

Samsung Omnia II GT-I8000

rodrigofd

rodrigofd

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Ok, i hope i understood it right... But what u do is removing this files from the cooked rom?

I think it just clicked in main brain :)
Anyfile in the rom is stored by default in the Windows dir... the thing that make my storage smaller is the copy of that file?

edit: is it safe to remove the other imei******.pfg files?

edit²: what do you prefer when disambling the rom-dump? Option "dump" or "packet"... does it make a difference, or is it just an other cooking experience? ;)

imei*.pfg files are used in the rom to 'preconfigure' the network operator settings.. Since in my roms i use HTC connection setup wizard, i remove them, if your rom is for personal use, yes, just leave the ones for your carrier.

of course is preferably to use packet option, it is easier to locate a particular thing...

wes58

wes58

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Devices:I900

Thanks wes58 for your graphical tool. is it possible we can make changes to the csc file, and repacking it back. so we can flash with .mst files?

It is possible. I did it. I was thinking about writing something to do it, but wasn't sure if it is worth the effort. How often are you going to change it? Have a look at the picture about some info. If you are not making a lot of changes you can do it manually. This can be flashed with Octans. This information if for the structure of the CSC file extracted from the main (multi-csc) file. 

Edit:
Just one clarification about the languages that are listed starting from offset 0x40. It's not as simple as I originally thought. But it is like this - there is a list of languages in Octans: 0804,0404,0405,0406,0413,0409,040B,040C,0407,0408,0410,0411,0412,0414,0415,0416,
816,0419,0C0A,041D,040E,041A,0424.
The number at offset 0x40 is for the main language. The rest are additional languges. Each value (0804, 0404,... ) is a 4-character string plus terminating 0. So for number 7 the program looks at offset for the first string (0804) + 5*7+5. Which will give language 040C. Easier way is to do like this - offset to language = number + 1, so for number 7, the language is string number 7+1 -> 040C.
Thought I should correct it just in case that someone is interested.

Attached Files

• Attached File  csc.png   69.78KB   78 downloads

Edited by wes58, 31 December 2009 - 11:53 AM.

If you find this Application useful, you can buy me a glass of wine

Posted Image

Samsung Omnia II GT-I8000

MrChiliCheese

MrChiliCheese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

of course is preferably to use packet option, it is easier to locate a particular thing...

yeah, i figured it out, after working with the dump option :)

what i with the dsm files? do i need to edit them too, or will the automatically rebuild during aseble procedure?

i hope u don't mind but i disambled your lite rom (learning from the chief ;-)) is it ok, when i cook your oem_**** packages in?

Edited by MrChiliCheese, 30 December 2009 - 09:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users