Apps don't make devices

Guest l3v5y

Marketplace-Capture3.png

Microsoft’s chief software architect, Ray Ozzie has said: “All the apps that count will be ported to every one of them,” he said. “It’s a completely different situation from the PC market, where software’s built to run on a Windows or a Mac” he said. “Mobile apps require very little development, so it’s much easier to bring them onto every platform”. What that implies is that developers will have to put less effort in to port their applications to other platforms, and "the apps that count" will get ported.

With projects like this for the Amplitude application, it certainly seems feasible, though I'm not sure I agree with "Mobile apps require very little development".

Does anyone out there agree? :)

Guest mysoulisfat

"Mobile apps require very little development"YEAH RIGHT!Either he bumped his head the night before OR This must be a leak of The Corporate Software World's Hypnotic scheme and this is what they brainwash young talented fresh out of college developers with during orientation when they first get hired.An old proverb says if a man is diligent in his business he shall have good success.LONG LIVE INDEPENDENT & 3RD PARTY DEVELOPERS WHO HEAR THE PEOPLE AND WORK WITH THE PEOPLE OF WIN MOB DEVICES!!!!!

Guest Joel Ivory Johnson
With projects like this for the Amplitude application, it certainly seems feasible, though I'm not sure I agree with "Mobile apps require very little development".

Does anyone out there agree? :)

Had the statement been "Mobile devices require significantly less development" then I think that there would be more room to agree with what was said. I suppose it depends on the types of applications that you are developing. I usually develope what most would classify as enterprise solutions.

Typically if I am working on a mobile application it is made with a single user in mind and made to act as a client; it's functionality is usually dependent on server functionality. When I am doing development for a server, service, or what ever your term preference is then I'm going to be working with something that has more moving parts. Typically the server side solution is going to require multiple machines. Some of these machines are running unique applications to provide specific pieces of functionality while others may be there for redundancy to be ready to run when another machine fails. These machines tend to have more sensative data and their functionality is usually more critical to the business. More effort is made on securing the servers from a software perspective and from a physical security perspective. Those servers may also need to interface to third party solutions further increasing the potential complexity of the solution.

So for the scenarios in which I usually work I can see statement as being true. For some other scenarios I am sure that his statement will seem totally unjustifiable. It is hard to nail down whether or not his statement is true without further information on the context in which he meant it.

Guest rav1patel

He's having a Giraffe and really is deluded.

It's all about mindshare and momentum. Much as I dislike the app store I can't deny that the iPhone gets pretty much everything first and they then maybe later get ported to other devices. The Android market isn't half bad but there are a lot of key apps out on iPhone which I'd love to see. Things like Dropbox, Evernote, SkyPlus, an equivalent Facebook app.

The apps are the reason the big selling point. Especially for less technical average consumers.

Guest Sonicr360

Load of nonsense as usual. Complete and utter rubbish, and only die hard WM fans will probably believe it!

Anyhow.....90,000 apps on the iPhone and counting :)

Guest Swampie

Considering that Apple push the "Do one thing and do it well" ethos at their iPhone developer events - I kind of agree with his comments. They say that rather than having one large monolithic application which does everything (but maybe not everything very well) - people can get lots of little apps which do the bits they want - and each can be tailored to do their thing well.

Writing a (mobile) application to do a particular task, or even a few tasks is significantly easier than a much larger, fully integrated (PC) application. That doesn't mean that either are trivial, but that in comparison they're easier.

Take, for example, Photoshop - the full PC app is huge - but the mobile Photoshop apps are much leaner and tailored towards a smaller set of tasks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.