Dust behind the screen!

Guest fliegergott

Guest Uss_Defiant
Just curious what'd Bell tell you? I was hesiting to go to the store as well knowing them careless as they're. Btw thnx for the pdf

I'm curious as well as it seems like doing this void's the warranty. Any luck with Samsung canada?

Guest Hammanu666
Just curious what'd Bell tell you? I was hesiting to go to the store as well knowing them careless as they're. Btw thnx for the pdf

I went to the main location in the Edmonton downtown area, as well as the stand alone store on the west end. Both locations gave me the exact same reply, Its not covered by the "insurance" policy they sell, nor by samsung warranty.

On a side not here. I have opened my phone repaired the problem and reassembled the phone, looks mint. While this may void your warranty by technicality. I would like to say that throughout the entire tear down I found no Tamper labels whatsoever. Only 2 marked screws. Make sure the screws all go back into the same holes and Don't break anything and you should be in the clear for your warranty.

Edited by Hammanu666

Guest msiumng

I have disassemble the phone and reassemble the phone about 10 times now since I got it in october last year because of the dust problem. It always gets in from the bottom left corner like everyone else's. After reading this forum I have check the bottom of the screen again in detail and after I took the bottom buttons out, I found out that on the lower left corner of the screen (above the call button), about 3mm of space does not have any adhesive there to hold the screen plastic to the housing. Is not visible though unless u try to lift the screen plastic away from the housing (just lightly or else you will snap it) then you will see the gap about 3mm wide (I can lift it about 1mm high away from the housing before all the other adhesive holding it back) and anything can go inside from there. Everywhere else around the screen has adhesive so no dust gets in at other places. I honestly do not know what can correct the problem. The next thing I will try is maybe I will try a very small piece of the thin double sided tape and try to slide in the 3mm gap there to seal the gap. I have not tried it yet but it seems is the only way to correct the problem.

Another thing I find that is the screen protector. I had a screen protector on the phone and I mean a lot of times those screen protectors at the corners it will always peel when you pull it out of the pocket or even just holding the phone. It usually just stick it back onto the screen without problem so the screen protector itself was fine. However I found that the "peeling" action actually might lift the lower left corner of the screen up a very little bit and especially in the pocket a lot of dust will get in. I dont know if you guys have screen protectors I took mine of just now and trying to use for a few days and see what happens

Guest mikeluv

pufff... it's been merely 2 months... and my screen is pretty much stuffed as well. dang!

aint got love for sam-sun-g no more, they can suck my b f d.

post-655521-1269851079_thumb.jpg

post-655521-1269851089_thumb.jpg

post-655521-1269851096_thumb.jpg

post-655521-1269851107_thumb.jpg

Guest kawgirlval69
Unfortunately for me, i bought my i8000 in the US and dont have a warranty. i wonder if it would be possible to simply fill in the crack where the dust is getting in (possibly with some Elmers white glue)?

omgggg are you serious...elmers white glue......dude you do sooo not deserve a phone this nice......rofl

Guest kawgirlval69
hmm if we try to use static electricity method to move the dust, is it possible? anyone? haha just a suggestion LOL.

i might be able to dig up my old flux capacitor and make that work...lol

Guest Pawel81

Maybe someone could make pictured DIY, how to dismantle I8000, remove dust and put all together again. Many people have no courage to do this, even if it is simple job.

Guest Hammanu666
Maybe someone could make pictured DIY, how to dismantle I8000, remove dust and put all together again. Many people have no courage to do this, even if it is simple job.

Look at the pdf I posted, Its got pics aplenty.

Guest HAL_9000

Does anyone know how dust exactly gets under screen?

Through a front frame or through any hole under back cover?

I have tree small dust particles in left corner yet.

So if I a seal it immediately then I haven´t dismantle phone or send it to the service.

Anyone knows ??

Guest Hammanu666
Does anyone know how dust exactly gets under screen?

Through a front frame or through any hole under back cover?

I have tree small dust particles in left corner yet.

So if I a seal it immediately then I haven´t dismantle phone or send it to the service.

Anyone knows ??

There is a foam rubber gasket between the digitizer and the screen, seems that most if not all of the dust problem is on phones where there is a small gap in this foam in the lower left corner. Foam of this type and size can be purchased from the source/ circuit city.

Guest Pawel81

Great, in PDF there was nothing about camera module, simply remove all. But I cannot move camera, it's glued or something =/.

Ed. Yep, it was glued.

Ed. And plastic cover over amoled is glued to metal mesh placed beneath "answer call" button. I pulled it out 1mm, fortunately button is still working.

And thats why it would be nice to have DIY. Simple photos don't show everything.

Edited by Pawel81

Guest Pawel81

In my case taking apart was only solution, even compressed air don't move dust. I had to use a cloth. But after cleaning, you can seal the connection, so nothing get inside anymore. Use polymer glue.

@kawgirlval69 -no, you can buy "universal" polymer glue that is sticky and very soft. Similar to that glue used into i8000.

Edited by Pawel81

Guest kawgirlval69
In my case taking apart was only solution, even compressed air don't move dust. I had to use a cloth. But after cleaning, you can seal the connection, so nothing get inside anymore. Use polymer glue.

thats going to be fun if the lcd or digitizer need replaced......

Guest HAL_9000

I failed to get the touch layer. It's too difficult without special tools.

I do not want to risk anything.

I'll send my Omnia to service rather...

Question for anybody who send Omnia to service already:

After the repair is everything OK? No dust under the screen again?

Guest babyjosef17

I have sent my o2 before to replace the LCD for the dust issue. they replaced the LCD and the digitizer for me.

Now I notice it is starting to happen again, I am getting dust under the screen again exactly the same place.

Ok now for the unusual question,

How can I speed up the process for this one? I want it to have tons of dust behind the screen so I can send it again for repair and they will replace my wasted and badly scratched digitizer for free lol. Well I hope they would.

Guest HAL_9000

Good idea.... :]

If you bought Omnia in shop with officially service, they must repair it.

So, don't use any screen protector and carry phone simply in pocket.

It´s all. Dust will appear in larger amount.

I going to send my Omnia to service this week.

Hope that dust will not appear again... :/

Guest bubi8000

Hi everybody,

I have the same problem as you can see in the pictures. It's a very annoying issue, so if somebody else in Romania has the same problem and he fixed it without voiding the warranty please let me know.

Thanks!

post-633352-1270706877_thumb.jpg

post-633352-1270706891_thumb.jpg

Guest CosminV

mine suffered from the same issue, damn dust.

I went with it to samsung service in Romania and they did it.

Unfortunately that required full breakdown of the phone... and a test at the end... witch wend wrong because i have a custom rom so the test was unsuccessfully.

Guest InstrumentTech

I have the same problem with almost exact same pattern as pictures above. Going to be sending back shortly to see what happens.

Guest xaznxplaya

Hmm, so guys as I'm from Canada and I bought mine from Bell, someone stated that no one from Bell cares about that issue, I'll have to contact Samsung? I have the dust as the exact same place above as well.

Guest Hammanu666
Hmm, so guys as I'm from Canada and I bought mine from Bell, someone stated that no one from Bell cares about that issue, I'll have to contact Samsung? I have the dust as the exact same place above as well.

Ya that was me, I hope you have better luck if you try, but bell basically told me they would send it back and any repair charges would be forwarded on to me. Considering im paying for their "Insurance" plan I wasn't impressed. You would be best off going directly to Samsung or cleaning it out yourself. Its only about a 5.5/10 difficulty for a D.I.Y

As a side note, The lovely people at Bell were nice enough to leave a "Aggressive customer" notation on my account in their computer systems, which has made it especially difficult getting my work phone serviced now. So you would be best off not loosing your temper on them lol.

Guest Goodge

I'm also in Canada, and also went to talk to Bell. I was told by the rep in Vancouver that they'd happily send it off to the service centre, but it would take 3 weeks to get it back. I called Samsung directly who told me I had to go through my carrier (Bell) to get it fixed. After complaining about the 3 week turnaround (when it should take them 1 day), I was given the service centre in my areas direct contact details. He couldn't guarentee that I could get it fixed for free, but I wouldn't imagine it would be very costly to get cleaned out that way. I haven't taken the plunge yet...