Google Maps Download

Guest sheppy1

Guest sheppy1

Hi guys, after updating to MoDaCo 2.9 ROM I no longer have Google Maps on my phone, I have tried searching for it in the Market but it isn't there, I just can't find where to download it from, can anyone point me in the right direction? Cheers

Guest sheppy1

Well that's just great, I managed to find a .apk file for Google Maps, I pushed it to my phone but now it won't start, I just get a force close message and now I can't remove it either.

Edit: Managed to remove the version I installed, I still don't have Google Maps on my phone though

Edited by sheppy1

Well that's just great, I managed to find a .apk file for Google Maps, I pushed it to my phone but now it won't start, I just get a force close message and now I can't remove it either.

Edit: Managed to remove the version I installed, I still don't have Google Maps on my phone though

Try this, if using adb push doesnt work then try using the application installer that is in HTC sync. (BTW upzip the attachment to get the apk)

Dan

com.google.android.apps.maps.zip

Guest sheppy1
Try this, if using adb push doesnt work then try using the application installer that is in HTC sync. (BTW upzip the attachment to get the apk)

Dan

Hi, thanks for the download link but when I push it to my phone and go to install it I just receive an error message saying that it cannot be installed on my device, could you please give me the commands which I should use to push the file to my phone as I think I may be doing it incorrectly (I'm new to android), cheers

Guest sheppy1
Never mind, I'm sure I found steps online on how to correctly do this but I receive an error in the command prompt saying that the "Update is incompatible"

hallelujah, after like 10 hours of messing about and Googling all sorts of things I finally managed to get it installed and working, if anyone is having similar problems then enter these commands into ADB on your computer:

adb remount

adb shell rm /system/sd/app/*maps*

adb shell rm /system/sd/dalvik-cache/*Maps*

adb shell rm /system/sd/dalvik-cache/*maps*

adb shell rm /data/app/*Maps*

adb shell rm /data/app/*maps*

adb shell rm /data/dalvik-cache/*Maps*

adb shell rm /data/dalvik-cache/*maps*

adb shell rm /system/app/*Maps*

adb shell rm /system/app/*maps*

adb uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps

adb install com.google.android.apps.maps.apk

Just do them all even if it says "Directory not found" or something like that, then finally just download the file which Dan has supplied (thank you very, very much for this file) and then double click it and install it through HTC Sync. Done.

hallelujah, after like 10 hours of messing about and Googling all sorts of things I finally managed to get it installed and working, if anyone is having similar problems then enter these commands into ADB on your computer:

adb remount

adb install com.google.android.apps.maps.apk

Thanks a lot. For me the app started just fine, but searching or other actions would crash it. After doing this Google Maps work just fine again!

Guest sheppy1
Thanks a lot. For me the app started just fine, but searching or other actions would crash it. After doing this Google Maps work just fine again!

No problemo :D I don't want to take credit for the commands though as I just found them in a thread over at the XDA Developers forum, if I had the link to the thread I would post it and give credit to the person who posted them but I can't find the thread again :(

Guest pigthemaster

accidently deleted google maps when partitioning earlier but this is an easy fix just download and unzip the above, copy the .apk to the root of the sd and open with astro file manager from the market. installs and works just fine!

Guest stevenz

Instead of all those individual commands, you can type;

./adb shell find /system /data -name \*google\*maps.apk\* -o -name Maps.apl "|" xargs rm

and it'll scour the whole /system and /data folders for any google maps files and remove them.

It's a bit more dangerous if you make a typo though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ifsckedmyhero

Muck thanks for this, I went through 4 hours of boot loops before I finally got the ModaCo rom working only to find maps was not there. Worked first time pushing it via ADB as I have removed HTC sync from my Hero.

Awesome site and good info from the members. I am looking forward to hacking, tinkering, breaking and fixing my Hero. Already I am finding it far better than my iPhone (except the crappy copy/paste) but it took Apple ages to sort that one out. I hope Google are on the case or maybe HTC can hack something into Sense.

Guest venturerider

Just a little shell tip:

Instead of using backslash to "escape" the '*', put the whole string in single quotes. Thus:

find /system /data -name \*google\*maps.apk\*

becomes

find /system /data -name '*google*maps.apk*'

I find that a little more legible.

Guest ifsckedmyhero

@Stea1thmode

I assumed that because I could not see Google maps in the market on the phone that I would not be able to get it from anywhere else.

I think the version on the web site is for 1.6 not for 1.5 which I have on this phone.

Guest Stea1thmode
Unless you meant the web based maps app. That was not what I wanted. I wanted the actual app for my phone.

I'm on 2.0 using maps 3.3.1 which i downloaded using the mobile browser after it dissappeared after a ROM update.

• 3 weeks later...

Maps are still mising in MCR 3.0. I hope this thread will help me to get them.

EDIT: It helped, just installed apk linked above and it works!

Edited by Pitel

Guest clarkEEE1

Even easyier you should of just extracted modaco 3 zip file on your desktop and the maps.apk is in there put it on sd card and install.

Guest Dan Mullen

I noticed your post in another thread and think your problem may be that you wiped after flashing the ROM. This would wipe anything in /data, including Google Maps.

I noticed your post in another thread and think your problem may be that you wiped after flashing the ROM. This would wipe anything in /data, including Google Maps.

Good point. It's probably it.

• 1 month later...

Removed google maps (because search function didnt work) from Modaco 3.1 ROM and couldn't find the apk in the market (where I assumed it was)... Installed from the link above with

adb install com.google.android.apps.maps.apk and google maps and search function works again. Nice..

No idea why it didnt work correctly.. Maybe a bug in the ROM?

• 1 month later...
Guest inajiffi
Even easyier you should of just extracted modaco 3 zip file on your desktop and the maps.apk is in there put it on sd card and install.

Fantastic advice, used linda file manager to install everything! Thank you. :)

• 1 year later...
Guest Dror Dahan
Just a little shell tip:

Instead of using backslash to "escape" the '*', put the whole string in single quotes. Thus:

find /system /data -name \*google\*maps.apk\*

becomes

find /system /data -name '*google*maps.apk*'

I find that a little more legible.

Sorry for my ignorance but how do I get into the shell?

is it on my android mobile devise?

Do I need to install a program for that?

i have noticed before mentions to use "ADB". What is it?