HTC Hero Orange - 2.73.61.5

Guest blackcoffee85

Guest blackcoffee85

Hey guys,

I bought a HTC Hero which is sim locked to Orange. I'd like to use the phone on 3, which is my primary goal. I've done a lot of reading on these forums, in particular Paul's stickies, but would really appreciate it if someone could clarify my options.

I'm a software developer who is IT (but not mobile hacking) literate and I have the Android SDK installed. I'm running Windows 7, but I have access to XP, Vista and Ubuntu.

Phone details are as follows:

Firmware version: 1.5

Build number: 2.73.61.5 146733 CL#61267 release-keys

1. What is the easiest way to progress, simply to remove the sim lock?

2. Do I need to downgrade the current firmware version?

3. Modaco custom firmware looks great - of the stages rooting, downgrading, installing the patched recovery image - which are necessary?

4. I'm aware there are risks with this (I've flashed PSP a few times) but which of these processes are safe and what precautions should I take? Steps like nandroid backup can't help me until I've made some changes.

Thank you

Edited by blackcoffee85

Hey guys,

I bought a HTC Hero which is sim locked to Orange. I'd like to use the phone on 3, which is my primary goal. I've done a lot of reading on these forums, in particular Paul's stickies, but would really appreciate it if someone could clarify my options.

I'm a software developer who is IT (but not mobile hacking) literate and I have the Android SDK installed. I'm running Windows 7, but I have access to XP, Vista and Ubuntu.

Phone details are as follows:

Firmware version: 1.5

Build number: 2.73.61.5 146733 CL#61267 release-keys

1. What is the easiest way to progress, simply to remove the sim lock?

2. Do I need to downgrade the current firmware version?

3. Modaco custom firmware looks great - of the stages rooting, downgrading, installing the patched recovery image - which are necessary?

4. I'm aware there are risks with this (I've flashed PSP a few times) but which of these processes are safe and what precautions should I take? Steps like nandroid backup can't help me until I've made some changes.

Thank you

Can anyone answer please.

Guest blackcoffee85
Can anyone answer please.

Hi m112. I am now unlocked and running MoDaCo 3.0.

I used the gold card method to downgrade, then install the flash recovery image with flashrec.

Finally I installed 3.0 from the recovery mode.

Then boot the phone with a new sim and enter an unlock code (purchase online)