I can upgrade for $80, should I?

Guest geiseric

Guest geiseric

..is flashing possible now or potentially in the future? I've been fooling around with it the last week since I got the i910, but I hate the lack of a 3.5 jack, among other things the omnia II corrects. However, being that it was released for verizon just today, I am curious if people think there will be ROMs available shortly or not.. I hate the factory ROM, it initially pushed me away from the Omnia towards the Storm, but when I learned it was customizable, I returned to the i910. I can deal with it for a while, but it seems like development on these phones is sporadic - is there any driver issues that people that have picked them up today that would kill Roms from being ported?

Should I risk it? I honestly don't even want to care, I want that 3.5 jack so bad.

First post btw, kind of a lurker, I jump from interest to interest too fast to get seriously invested in boards.

Edited by geiseric

Guest awarner (MVP)

It is early days for Omnia i920 ROMs but I am sure like the original Omnia people will start to cook their own ROMs.

There are a lot of reasons to upgrade to the new device, screen and resolution WVGA is only the start.

Also without checking it should have a micro-usb not a mini usb.

Micro-usb is the new standard and in Europe all phone manufacturers have been told to make a universal standard connector so I can see that spreading.

The GT-i8000 Omnia II (GSM) has already been cracked, and there are some ROMs available. I'm not sure how different the internals/system structure of the GT-i8000 is from the SCH-i920, but if they are as similar as the i900 and i910 are, there's hope for the quick release of ROMs.

The stock SCH-i920 runs pretty well, though. I do miss the custom ROMs of the i910, but I'm impressed with the i920. A few simple tweaks will have it running very well.

I just ordered the Omnia 2 from VZ...

I have had the Omnia 1 for a year and 3 months (yes, I used my girlfriends "new every two" discount for the Omnia 2 upgrade LOL) and the only fun I have had with it started when Wozzer kicked off the i910 ROM REVOLUTION!!!

I love my i910, but for $99 I can now actually get some use out of the multimedia options! The headphone jack had a very big influence on my decision to upgrade. How many of you i900/910 owners out there actually use that horrible headphone converter to listen to songs or podcasts??? Furthermore, I am sick of walking around talking on a phone and having the stylus bumping into my phone every step I take. People ask me if its eyeliner or some cosmetics product!

To answer your question, imo if you have the opportunity to upgrade for under $100, do it! Sure the Droid is a faster phone and worthy of checking out, but can you teather it to your notebook PC and use your unlimited data plan for broadband wireless??? No. I have used that feature a lot, it is very useful even if your in a WiFi spot (for example, at my college WiFi is slow and very unreliable. It also disconnects you every 10 min.)

I would not be suprised if we start seeing VZ Omnia 2 ROMs being cooked like crazy within the next 3 weeks. I am already saving up to buy some beers for those cooks, they work so hard and they need our support.

• 1 month later...
Guest Ar3ohdee
I just ordered the Omnia 2 from VZ...

I have had the Omnia 1 for a year and 3 months (yes, I used my girlfriends "new every two" discount for the Omnia 2 upgrade LOL) and the only fun I have had with it started when Wozzer kicked off the i910 ROM REVOLUTION!!!

I love my i910, but for $99 I can now actually get some use out of the multimedia options! The headphone jack had a very big influence on my decision to upgrade. How many of you i900/910 owners out there actually use that horrible headphone converter to listen to songs or podcasts??? Furthermore, I am sick of walking around talking on a phone and having the stylus bumping into my phone every step I take. People ask me if its eyeliner or some cosmetics product!

To answer your question, imo if you have the opportunity to upgrade for under $100, do it! Sure the Droid is a faster phone and worthy of checking out, but can you teather it to your notebook PC and use your unlimited data plan for broadband wireless??? No. I have used that feature a lot, it is very useful even if your in a WiFi spot (for example, at my college WiFi is slow and very unreliable. It also disconnects you every 10 min.)

I would not be suprised if we start seeing VZ Omnia 2 ROMs being cooked like crazy within the next 3 weeks. I am already saving up to buy some beers for those cooks, they work so hard and they need our support.

Just Sold My Droid Eris, and picked up the Omnia I920 (Droid Eris is more in demand, sold for $325 used on ebay, i920 bought for $265)... The Eris was like HDTV and my old i910 was a Black & White (3.5 Jack, ALL the apps I could ever need FOR FREE, very fast AND smooth o.s. with out ANY jitters, AND with FX Camera (a free app) the phones camera BLEW THE i910's out of the water... SOOOOO, why the switch??? Well, I paid almost nothing (literally a few $) for my Eris, and basically ended up getting $50 and the i920 with a new contract... I am VERY excited to watch movies on the AMOLED screen that is 3.7 inches, along with having the 3.5 jack, the radio, the sync with yahoo (Google/Droid does not have this), and many other features... I just wish Samsung/windows would get on the band wagon as far as Mobile O.S. go, if you have spent ANY amount of time using an Iphone, or android 1.5 or higher, YOU WANT TO CRY USING WIN MOBILE INTERFACES... I loved ALL the roms I tried on my i910, BUT SPB is the closest to either of those, AND it is still like a Hyundi Genisis vs. a BMW... Maybe Win Mobile 7 will get it right, or at least in the same ball park... Some body let the Windows Mobile team know it's 2010, NOT 2005... GO i920 GO!!!

Sincerely,

"The windows please do something to let us know you have at least ONE competitive bone in that body that KNOWS how to create something if at least not for the future, then the present" GUY...