Photo

09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
961 replies to this topic

Kinesin

Kinesin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:T-mobile Pulse

Help me please, ive followed the above instructions, I have got as far as installing the superboot and recovery bat files, i removed the battery, now the phone wont start up!! It resets approx 20 seconds into its boot up and is stuck in this cycle.
Ive also installed the custom recovery image, I can access this but none of the options are having any effect, they go through the motions but when I reboot the phone goes into this loop!

Desperate to get this sorted.

I had the same issue and i think it's the fact that the superboot image version mismatched with the firmware of the phone, the link above is too old.

See the pinned there here for a updated superboot: http://android.modac...t-a-custom-rom/

Version for devices WITH the 'December Update' - http://loadbalancing...mb0k87f9c51eqg9
Version for devices WITHOUT the 'December Update' - http://loadbalancing...65pv39jj2oz6b6e

I installed superboot using but putting the phone in fastboot, and running the install script.

The booted the recovery image directly via 'fastboot boot image.img' wiped the phone and installed the Standard rom to get back to a working phone.

Happy that it was all working I then flashed it again using the image at the start of the thread.

menno2

menno2

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
The reason why I bought an android phone is cause I thought I could
remotely mount my mp3 collection through samba/cifs or NFS.
Now i see some phones have custom roms with the cifs module included.
Are you planning on incorporating this? This way i could finally have my mp3
collection everywhere I go!

pioo

pioo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:T-Mobile Pulse
Hi,

I used the t-mobile mcr, and today morning i installed the vanilla style mcr.
I had the previously mentioned problem with the closing home screen. Some error message with force closing acore process. The problem is the following, i had icons on other screen, which actually doesn't exists on vanilla launcher, only t-mobile launcher. So i deleted data/com.android.launcher/databases/launcher.db and rebooted my phone. I got a default android home screen, and it is working.
My other problem, which isn't solved yet is the contacts. I think t-mobile modified the schema of the db file which contains the google contacts. I will try to remove all the contacts and resync them.

So i have changed from the t-mobile flavour mcr 1.7 to the vanilla 1.7.

I won't wipe my phone, i have a lot of settings, and messages, and some customization. And it is against my principles ;)

--
hth

giryan

giryan

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire

Hi,

I used the t-mobile mcr, and today morning i installed the vanilla style mcr.
I had the previously mentioned problem with the closing home screen. Some error message with force closing acore process. The problem is the following, i had icons on other screen, which actually doesn't exists on vanilla launcher, only t-mobile launcher. So i deleted data/com.android.launcher/databases/launcher.db and rebooted my phone. I got a default android home screen, and it is working.
My other problem, which isn't solved yet is the contacts. I think t-mobile modified the schema of the db file which contains the google contacts. I will try to remove all the contacts and resync them.

So i have changed from the t-mobile flavour mcr 1.7 to the vanilla 1.7.

I won't wipe my phone, i have a lot of settings, and messages, and some customization. And it is against my principles ;)

--
hth

What have you got against backing up and wiping?
It is by far the best way to avoid the issues you're getting.

pioo

pioo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

What have you got against backing up and wiping?
It is by far the best way to avoid the issues you're getting.

I am backin up my data periodically within the recovery image. But now, my contacts (300+) has been screwed up. A backup/wipe/restore wont help. If i get a new sms from a friend, then it starts a new thred. I can see all my contacts, and can call them, but if i start typing a contacts name into the serach field, then it won't show any contact.

I like to understand the essence of the problem. Wipe and restore is a windowis solution to me, i don't like it. I don't say it is wrong. I just don't like it. (I'm working with un*x and linux servers)

--
thanks,
zsolt

giryan

giryan

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

I am backin up my data periodically within the recovery image. But now, my contacts (300+) has been screwed up. A backup/wipe/restore wont help. If i get a new sms from a friend, then it starts a new thred. I can see all my contacts, and can call them, but if i start typing a contacts name into the serach field, then it won't show any contact.

I like to understand the essence of the problem. Wipe and restore is a windowis solution to me, i don't like it. I don't say it is wrong. I just don't like it. (I'm working with un*x and linux servers)

--
thanks,
zsolt

I do see your point, but the ROMs aren't designed to be installed on a non-wiped phone, so IMHO you're just asking for trouble.
I don't see it as a windows style solution, if you were switching linux/*nix distribution you wouldn't leave the entire contents of /bin/lib/etc etc... around would you?

I think that the contacts issue is the t-mob branded one uses a completely different app for contacts storage, so I guess the tables are in a different format.

pioo

pioo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I do see your point, but the ROMs aren't designed to be installed on a non-wiped phone, so IMHO you're just asking for trouble.
I don't see it as a windows style solution, if you were switching linux/*nix distribution you wouldn't leave the entire contents of /bin/lib/etc etc... around would you?

I think that the contacts issue is the t-mob branded one uses a completely different app for contacts storage, so I guess the tables are in a different format.

Well, You are right. I didn't think of it like changing distribution, but like changing desktop environment.

The tables were a little different, only the groups were stored differently. Because of this the vanilla contacts application crashed. I removed the db file, which contained the contacts, and rebooted my phone. Now it is working.

But if I understand well, if i wipe my phone, and restore this data, then my contacts would fail anyway, right?

--
thanks,
pioo

giryan

giryan

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Well, You are right. I didn't think of it like changing distribution, but like changing desktop environment.

The tables were a little different, only the groups were stored differently. Because of this the vanilla contacts application crashed. I removed the db file, which contained the contacts, and rebooted my phone. Now it is working.

But if I understand well, if i wipe my phone, and restore this data, then my contacts would fail anyway, right?

--
thanks,
pioo

I've never had any issues with the contacts sync from google. I'm not sure what problems would happen doing any how else.

pioo

pioo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I've never had any issues with the contacts sync from google. I'm not sure what problems would happen doing any how else.

Sorry, i didn't make myself clear. I meant issues when change from t-mob to vanilla, and vice versa. So backup and restore contacts wont help when i change the flavor, because i replace the contacts application, which uses different database format.

Right now my phone is working fine. Vanilla is more responsive than t-mob and consumes less memory. I like it. Oh, and Modaco rules. ;)

Thanks for the help.

--
pioo

Daz555

Daz555

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Sorry, i didn't make myself clear. I meant issues when change from t-mob to vanilla, and vice versa. So backup and restore contacts wont help when i change the flavor, because i replace the contacts application, which uses different database format.

Then again, as it is synced to Google you don't need to backup your contacts when flashing - you can just flash and then resync.

Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-I9300 + Sotmax JB Ultimate Stock V24
HTC Desire HD + IceColdSandwich 8.8
HTC Desire + MildWild CM-8.0 Jelly-Gingerbread
T-Mobile Pulse (UK) + FLB-Mod1 v1.7 + 691MHz oc kernel + a2sd + a2sd swap.

Sl4yer

Sl4yer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Devices:LG Optimus 2X, T-Mobile Pulse
Hi.

Installed this ROM a few weeks ago (following constant crashing of the latest official ROM). It's a big improvement for me - much friendlier to look at, and all of the functionality I require. It's a tough learning curve for a beginner to install, but well worth it.

Thanks for all your work!

James

petim

petim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with the vanila rom (exact problem then the original t-mobile rom)

When I want to call someone, there is a terrible lag time (2-4 sec) to open the contact list (I have only 400 contacts),
I tried to find task managers, any of them could reopen my contacts ( I mean I need my contacts to run all the time, I think that would solve my lag problem). Is it's possible somehow?

al_london

al_london

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,
Installed the Vanilla ROM the other day and am very happy with it!
Just a quick question about the Market:
Now that I'm running Android 1.7, should I be able to see apps in the market which run on 1.6+? They're not showing up when I search.
My Pulse is unlocked and has got an O2 pay monthly sim in it.
->Settings ->About phone shows Firmware version =1.5 and Build number=Modaco Custom Rom 1.7
Cheers,
Al

pioo

pioo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi all,
Installed the Vanilla ROM the other day and am very happy with it!
Just a quick question about the Market:
Now that I'm running Android 1.7, should I be able to see apps in the market which run on 1.6+? They're not showing up when I search.
My Pulse is unlocked and has got an O2 pay monthly sim in it.
->Settings ->About phone shows Firmware version =1.5 and Build number=Modaco Custom Rom 1.7
Cheers,
Al

Hi,

It is Modaco Custom Rom 1.7, and not Android 1.7. Basically it is Android 1.5.
So MCR 1.7 is running on Android 1.5.

--
hth

pioo

pioo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Then again, as it is synced to Google you don't need to backup your contacts when flashing - you can just flash and then resync.

Hi,

Thank for the reply. I understand this. Okay, contacts isn't a good example. I just told that it is unavoidable to lose some data when change from t-mob to vanilla, because t-mob replaced some applications (eg. notepad and contacts). If i wipe and resync then i lost the groups from the t-mob contacts application, because those are not syncd (at least it weren't syncd for me). And if i used the Notepad then i lose all my notes in it (because t-mob and vanilla uses different db files).

I just wanted to understand what is the difference between the two flavors, and why do i have to wipe my phone if the mcr install script starts by "formatting" /system.

--
Thanks,
pioo

menno2

menno2

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I try to connect through ssh (putty), i entered right ip address
and connect as root, and use password from about screen, access denied...
what am I misisng?

tido89

tido89

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Someone please provide a link to the rom!
The firstpost links are DEAD :P
I can't use my phone for 2 days now...

giryan

giryan

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Someone please provide a link to the rom!
The firstpost links are DEAD :P
I can't use my phone for 2 days now...

I've just clicked the "Main ROM download:" link and it sucessfully started to download.

havfunky

havfunky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:t-mobile pulse
HI there, since installing this custom rom i've been having some problems with my phone, notably it turns off every now and then when i'm connecting to a call. also, the screen is letting a lot of dust in and so i want to take it back to t-mobile to get the screen fixed or the unit replaced.
so my question is, how to i revert it back to how it was when i bought it? i didn't do a backup of what was on there before when i installed the custom rom.

thanks for any help.

sef.

giryan

giryan

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

HI there, since installing this custom rom i've been having some problems with my phone, notably it turns off every now and then when i'm connecting to a call. also, the screen is letting a lot of dust in and so i want to take it back to t-mobile to get the screen fixed or the unit replaced.
so my question is, how to i revert it back to how it was when i bought it? i didn't do a backup of what was on there before when i installed the custom rom.

thanks for any help.

sef.

Just redo the December update, it will reset it back to stock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users