OK, I have my 920 ... need some roms!!! ;-)

Guest pwmcmaho

Guest pwmcmaho

Not being amazingly technical, but what kind of stuff do we need to start looking at to get cooking? I suspect we don't have a way to jump start a working kitchen ?? or maybe do a rom dump???

Not being amazingly technical, but what kind of stuff do we need to start looking at to get cooking? I suspect we don't have a way to jump start a working kitchen ?? or maybe do a rom dump???

ok.

easiest way to dump ROM is to use utility i've posted there: http://www.modaco.com/content-page/296097/...0/#entry1118037

i don't know if i920 multilanguage or not. If yes, then set language to english before dumping.

Upload it somewhere (mediafire.com should be best one), so cookers will be able to look at it.

Guest pwmcmaho
ok.

easiest way to dump ROM is to use utility i've posted there: http://www.modaco.com/content-page/296097/...0/#entry1118037

i don't know if i920 multilanguage or not. If yes, then set language to english before dumping.

Upload it somewhere (mediafire.com should be best one), so cookers will be able to look at it.

Sorg - thanks - is there an "visual" indication of what is happening while the romdump is running? (in order to know that it has completed)..?

My first run, ended up with a 20 meg file, which I suspect is too small to be a complete dump...

Thanks!

Guest pwmcmaho
Sorg - thanks - is there an "visual" indication of what is happening while the romdump is running? (in order to know that it has completed)..?

My first run, ended up with a 20 meg file, which I suspect is too small to be a complete dump...

Thanks!

Figured it out myself... let it run and it finally gave me the all done,.. 298 mb... will find a place to share.

Guest pwmcmaho
Figured it out myself... let it run and it finally gave me the all done,.. 298 mb... will find a place to share.

Sorg - any pointers to some base tools that I could use to start extracting the files from the .bin file?

Sorg - any pointers to some base tools that I could use to start extracting the files from the .bin file?

i think you need to check I8000 ROM cooking thread - there are mention of some tools to work with.

Would be good if you will upload not modified dump (298mb) to somewhere. (mediafire.com or rapidshare.com would be best for me)

Guest Grassguy

So, it's possible to do a ROM dump on a VZ i920? Well, the only reason that I'm holding out on the O2 is because I thought that we'd have to wait for VZ to drop an update to get custom ROM's on it. This is excellent news!

Guest pwmcmaho
So, it's possible to do a ROM dump on a VZ i920? Well, the only reason that I'm holding out on the O2 is because I thought that we'd have to wait for VZ to drop an update to get custom ROM's on it. This is excellent news!

Well, I got a dump... not sure how to put it back :-) first things first, I guess... I will have to say that after having an O1 for a year (day of launch) and being a bit relucant, I really like to O2... screen is freakin' amazing and the speed improvement is noticeable... in fact I am wanting to get rid of using MS and look at another interface ... the UI tweaks (outside of the silly today screen replacement) are really nice... they did a nice job...

Well, I got a dump... not sure how to put it back :-) first things first, I guess... I will have to say that after having an O1 for a year (day of launch) and being a bit relucant, I really like to O2... screen is freakin' amazing and the speed improvement is noticeable... in fact I am wanting to get rid of using MS and look at another interface ... the UI tweaks (outside of the silly today screen replacement) are really nice... they did a nice job...

Everyone keep us other guys who know nothing of rom modding informed please. I would love to keep up with the progress of this. I had a touch pro before my VZ i920 and the chefs kept me in great working roms. YEAH!!

VZ official update would be much better and safe, actually.

I can make flashable version of dump made by pwmcmaho, but i'm not sure if i920 will accept it and is it possible to use OCTANS Downloader with i920.

I only tested it on my i8000. ROM booted fine, but since there are hardware difference most functions weren't worked, such as: phone, audio, camera etc...

VZ official update would be much better and safe, actually.

I can make flashable version of dump made by pwmcmaho, but i'm not sure if i920 will accept it and is it possible to use OCTANS Downloader with i920.

I only tested it on my i8000. ROM booted fine, but since there are hardware difference most functions weren't worked, such as: phone, audio, camera etc...

That's still quite a bit of progress, thank you! I downloaded all the flash utils from the I8000 section and am reading through. I'd love to either see or create a stripped ROM with just the basics, since I prefer installing everything to "My Storage." Any tips?

Guest Dmordarski
Hey all...I just got my phone last week so if there's anythning I can do to help lemme know..;)

Anybody got a working kitchen yet, I've never creating a rom, but I thinking the O2 might become my first, I have programed in other languages, so let me know if we start getting some action

Check the i8000 ROM thread, they have tools posted there. I've been a bit busy with work, but I've downloaded everything I need. I just need to figure out of the loader will work for the i920 and start tweaking.

Guest pwmcmaho
Check the i8000 ROM thread, they have tools posted there. I've been a bit busy with work, but I've downloaded everything I need. I just need to figure out of the loader will work for the i920 and start tweaking.

:-) I've not had a chance to even think about building a kitchen... I've got the ROM pulled and have been looking through it.... but need smarter folks than I giving some guidance on the kitchen... and especially how to get the ROM back onto the device...

Guest pwmcmaho
Without a known way to flash back to the default ROM, I'm a bit hesitant to try the OCTANS loader on my i920 ;)

+1 ... I actually really like this phone too much to brick it so soon ;-)

Guest jaycarl
+1 ... I actually really like this phone too much to brick it so soon ;-)

If its from Verizon you can always get a replacement. It might be a refurb but since it just came out that shouldn't matter.

Guest amdzero

Is what we are looking for is a brave soul to test the loader? I might try it to spark some i920 rom development.

Problem is that we're not sure if the OCTANS loader will work for the i920