Software that can backup/restore all settings of any apps !

Guest Keramidas

Guest Keramidas

Hi fellows,

As a Hero owner and MoDaCo ROM user, I've always found it frustrating that virtually no application can fully backup its own settings/data (let alone other apps' settings/data) to the SD card.
This is the reason why I've developed Titanium Backup :D
It requires root privileges but it can backup (and restore) all data+settings of any application on your Android phone !

This app works for many people. The cool stuff:
- The fastest app listing on the planet. About 1 second if you have 300 apps !
- Can auto-kill apps before saving/restoring their settings
- Batch backup/restore using various scenarios (eg: time since last backup, etc)
- Can sort and filter the app list by app type, status and even by "Apps Organizer labels"
- Zero-click app un-installer & system app un-installer!

Titanium Backup is available on the Android Market.

Please see the Titanium Backup web page for the latest information, FAQ and tips !

More advanced features for donators: :(
- application is branded to your name
- ultra fast HyperShell (much faster for almost everything)
- zero-click multi app installer
- per-app backup history support
- easy verification of all backups
- Market Doctor to correct any broken Market links (only for applications that were backed up with the link in place)
- App freezer can disable an app (and make it invisible) without un-installing it

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">

Select the amount you'd like to donate:
Suggested $5.99Just enough for a license $3.99A bit more $8.00Two bits more $10.00Come get some $15.00Saved my life, twice ! $50.00
pixel.gif

(The FAQ is now on the Titanium Backup web page)

Many thanks for reading... and have fun ! Edited by Keramidas

Guest bbawden

Nice concept. I haven't fully tested it yet, but a couple of things that would improve the UI:

Sort apps by name/date installed/date used

Option to backup all, rather than one at a time (probably automatically exclude system apps that will break if terminated, maybe automatically exclude running apps)

Checkboxes to select multiple apps to backup/restore.

Great work though - I'll feedback more when I've tested it properly - going to backup settings, uninstall an app, reinstall it and restore settings.

Guest Keramidas

Thanks bbawden,

- Sorting: good ideas ! Both ways sound good so I'll do my best. Sorting by "date installed" would be lightning fast, while sorting by "date used" would involve API calls I guess.

- Backup all: option is planned. Indeed, the system apps may need additional care.

- Checkboxes: good idea. I'll look at a clever way to do it, without wasting UI space. Maybe selected items would have a different background color, for example.

One word of caution: if you uninstall + reinstall an app (instead of just upgrading/downgrading it) its UID may change, and I don't apply the new UID on restore yet. The fix is planned for release v1.01 :D

2 questions...

- Does this require root?

- Does this back up the app's config from the market DB, ensuring a reinstall isn't needed to get the market to see the app as 'installed'?

The second item is my most wanted feature.

P

Guest Keramidas

Hi Paul,

- Yes, it requires root. Apart from this, only busybox is needed.

- Not yet, but it sure is on my wish list as well ! I assume you're talking about the "assets10" table inside /data/data/com.android.vending/databases/assets.db. Yes, I could backup/restore an app's Market entry at the same time as I backup/restore the app's data ! I don't know if the market entry depends on the app's version. If it does, then I should either backup the apk file as well, or generate the Market entry dynamically (from scratch) when restoring a backup. Each row in "assets10" seems to contain a signature, so maybe a backup/restore of the row is the only option. So perhaps it would make a lot of sense to backup the Market data along with the app's apk file.

What is your opinion ?

Hi Paul,

- Not yet, but it sure is on my wish list as well ! I assume you're talking about the "assets10" table inside /data/data/com.android.vending/databases/assets.db. Yes, I could backup/restore an app's Market entry at the same time as I backup/restore the app's data ! I don't know if the market entry depends on the app's version. If it does, then I should either backup the apk file as well, or generate the Market entry dynamically (from scratch) when restoring a backup. Each row in "assets10" seems to contain a signature, so maybe a backup/restore of the row is the only option. So perhaps it would make a lot of sense to backup the Market data along with the app's apk file.

What is your opinion ?

Hi,

Nice looking project you have here!

Just a quick question, how does this differ from using BART's backup scripts available in most recovery images (specifically Amon RA's) - apart from the fact that you dont have to boot in to recovery of course!

Also one killer feature that is needed is a scheduled backup, there are lots of backup apps, back up for root etc. but none of the free / lite versions have a schedule from what ive found.

Also you might want to consider making two different apps, make a version that doesnt require root, i know that it will be more restrictive on what you can backup however the good majority of real users dont have root access on their phones, look at all the droid users! That beast is still waiting to be rooted!

just my thoughts :D

cheers,

J

Guest Keramidas

I posted a new release 1.01 (see initial post). Upgrade is highly recommended :D

For joners:

Thanks ! I think this app differs from BART scripts not only because it runs as an android app, but also because you can backup/restore settings for individual apps. I will look at scheduled backup too. About the app running as non-root: for 95% of the things the app currently does, root priviledges are a strict requirement. But if (in the future) I add some features that don't require root, then ordinary users will be able to use them - promised :(

PS: Hoping the Droid gets rooted soon !

Edited by Keramidas

Guest Keramidas

Titanium Backup 1.02 (alpha) is now freely available on the Market ! Please rate it and comment it if you can !! ;)

Btw, if anyone has trouble finding or installing it, please post here and I'll help you.

Edited by Keramidas

Guest intronauta

Error: bad singed file vía market, v 1.03 ;)

SOLVED uninstalling previous version ;)

Good job! Checkboxes please! ;)

Edited by intronauta

Guest Keramidas
Error: bad singed file vía market, v 1.03 :P

SOLVED uninstalling previous version ;)

Good job! Checkboxes please! ;)

Ah, indeed: the previous release was signed with debug keys, and the Market version is signed with the correct key. I added a mention that people should uninstall previous non-market version ;)

Yes don't worry, I'm working on multi-select... in the meantime, please don't forget to rate it, thanks ;)

Guest masterpfa

Hi just installed your app and will give feedback as time goes on.

A facility to back up all apps and to back up only new apps would be appreciated, I know these features are found on apps such as App Manager and MyBackup Pro.

Also the ability to backup apps that are still running

Guest Keramidas
Hi just installed your app and will give feedback as time goes on.

A facility to back up all apps and to back up only new apps would be appreciated, I know these features are found on apps such as App Manager and MyBackup Pro.

Also the ability to backup apps that are still running

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback !

For backing up all apps, have you tried MENU - Batch ?

For recent apps, do you mean adding a menu entry for backing up all recently installed apps ? Please elaborate :-)

I'm planning to add an option for backing up without terminating apps.

How would you like a feature for backing up the apps themselves, including protected apps ?

And what about a paid version on SlideMe.org market, that would have the capability for several backups per app, would someone buy it ? ;-)

Guest masterpfa
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback !

For backing up all apps, have you tried MENU - Batch ?

For recent apps, do you mean adding a menu entry for backing up all recently installed apps ? Please elaborate :-)

I'm planning to add an option for backing up without terminating apps.

How would you like a feature for backing up the apps themselves, including protected apps ?

And what about a paid version on SlideMe.org market, that would have the capability for several backups per app, would someone buy it ? ;-)

Hi sorry I should not have tried to abbreviate my post.

I will try Menu> Batch to see if thie fulfils my request to back up more than one app at a time.

Yes I was looking for a facility that would add to an existing backup only the recently purchased apps!

I would consider a paid app 'if' it had the ability to backup my Contacts, Call log, SMS and MMS as well as my apps.

The reason being with A2SD instaled with MCR and AppManager, Astro, Wavesecure these apps all have the facility for backing up apps but are all free in the market

Edited by masterpfa

Guest Keramidas

Hi masterpfa,

Thanks for your response ;)

Here are some cool news: I just published Titanium Backup 2.00 Beta on the Market, that version can backup apps too ! And it can even backup/restore protected apps.

Now about SMS/MMS: you can already backup/restore them in my app. Hint: look at the data elements colored in green ;)

Have fun !

Guest Keramidas
how can I backup the apps? This is automatic with the data backup option? I can´t see any specific option.

very great app ;)

Yes exactly, the apps are saved automatically with the data.

The smiley icon means that the app is backed up too.

You can look at the choices after clicking "restore", you can restore either the app or the data.

I will add a "properties" display in next versions, which should clarify things a lot :-)

Guest intronauta
Yes exactly, the apps are saved automatically with the data.

The smiley icon means that the app is backed up too.

You can look at the choices after clicking "restore", you can restore either the app or the data.

I will add a "properties" display in next versions, which should clarify things a lot :-)

Maybe a option would be good. In my case, I dont want a backup of my apps (space available problem) ;)

Guest Keramidas
Maybe a option would be good. In my case, I dont want a backup of my apps (space available problem) ;)

Thanks for your feedback ! I added this choice and release a new version 2.0.1 on the market ;)

Guest masterpfa
Hi masterpfa,

Thanks for your response :)

Here are some cool news: I just published Titanium Backup 2.00 Beta on the Market, that version can backup apps too ! And it can even backup/restore protected apps.

Now about SMS/MMS: you can already backup/restore them in my app. Hint: look at the data elements colored in green B)

Have fun !

Hi Keramidas

Haven't been on here for a little while so have only just seen your post.

Currently downloading the latest Beta version 2.00

Also will have a look as mentioned above at your facility for backing up SMS/MMS.

Thanks again.

;)

OOPS I see Beta 2.01 now available

Edited by masterpfa

Guest Keramidas
Hi Keramidas

Haven't been on here for a little while so have only just seen your post.

Currently downloading the latest Beta version 2.00

Also will have a look as mentioned above at your facility for backing up SMS/MMS.

Thanks again.

:)

OOPS I see Beta 2.01 now available

Hi masterpfa,

Glad to know you're interested in using it ;)

Just one thing, I tested the backup/restore procedure for user apps (and data) a lot, but sms/mms backup (or more specifically: the restore) is not really tested yet. So before you use that feature, I recommend you do a nandroid backup, just in case.

Have fun !

Edited by Keramidas

Hi Paul,

What is your opinion ?

This feature would be epic. Backup / restore the Market table entry with the APK (i.e. link them together) would make sense I reckon...?

P