Issue migrating SMS Messages from WM to Android

Guest encrypt

Guest encrypt

Hi all, I'm now a proud owner of a HTC Hero! :D Previously I had a HTC Touch Diamond2... before I sold it I did a backup with PIMBackup (WM folks should know it :( ).

And my problem is now.. that I don't have my device anymore and can't do a export with the nice tools that you have in the forum...

Can someone help me? Is there a solution? It should be possible to extract just the sms messages from the .pib file... (I've migrated contacts through Funambol)

Thanks for your help.

Have you selected "Binary (faster)" Option in PIMBackup when you create the backup?

If not the Content was extracted to CSV-like Files. The PIB File is an ZIP-Archive. Change the Extension and take a look at the files.

Guest encrypt

Thanks for your answer. Yes, it is a zip. And inside is a msgs_20091206.pbm file which are the messages. When I open the file with wordpad I can see the messages, but the format is strange.. it's not like CSV... there are strange characters... and I guess I should somehow convert the pbm file to another file which I can then import to Android?

I forgot a second solution. I don't know your skills but it may be possible to run an Virtual Windows Mobile Session on your PC when you are able to get in touch with Visual Studio and the Windows Mobile SDK. Then you have an Full Functional Windows Mobile Emulation on your PC...

Guest encrypt
I forgot a second solution. I don't know your skills but it may be possible to run an Virtual Windows Mobile Session on your PC when you are able to get in touch with Visual Studio and the Windows Mobile SDK. Then you have an Full Functional Windows Mobile Emulation on your PC...

Yeah, I was thinking about this... I'll try to run the emulato and restore the backup and then export it again as CSV.

Guest encrypt

Okay, I now have a .csm file ;) What are the ways to import it?

Btw, I tried the program Sprite Migrate.. and I couldn't get it to work.. I get a error "exception caught... blabla". ;)

One way could be to import it directly into the SMS/MMS Database from your Android Phone, but its not as easy as just import them into on table. You have to create the threads and fill up the Addressdatabasetable also. The Database is a simple SQLite Database.

I dont know any application at the Moment that do a SMS import from an CSV File. But i have wrote an application in the past that do this from an XML file that was created with an special Export Tool from Windows Mobile. Check the thread -> http://android.modaco.com/content/software...sms-to-android/

Maybe there is an issue with the Date Information when importing the Data to the SMS Database. I dont know it excatly atm. I dont have this issue had on my device...

Guest encrypt

Thank you, I could import them to the SQLite DB file, but it seems that it only imported messages that were sent to me (Inbox) but not messages that I sent out? (I wrote Inbox and Outbox to the fields)

When you open the XML File with my application, have you seen your Outbox Messages in the Listbox of my application?

Open the XML File with your favorite Text Editor and take a look if you find the messages there