The Official Acer Liquid 'Ask Paul' Thread...

Guest PaulOBrien

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">I've just got my Android based Acer Liquid... and i've unboxed it for your viewing pleasure! ;)

The Snapdragon equipped Liquid is Acer's first Android device and has great specs at a bargain price (the device is £328.90 at the time of writing at superetrader)!

Specs include...
  • Android 1.6 (Donut)
  • Qualcomm 8250/SnapDragon 768MHz
  • 2G: 850/900/1800/1900 (Quad-Band)
  • 3G: 900/1900/2100 (Tri-Band)
  • HSDPA (7.2 Mbps)
  • HSUPA (2 Mbps)
  • 3.5" WVGA 480x800 capacitive display
  • 5 mega-pixels (auto-focus) camera
  • VGA video recording
  • 512MB ROM
  • 256MB RAM
  • miniUSB
  • 3.5mm Audio Connector
  • Bluetooth (2.0)
  • Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11g)
  • AGPS
  • 115x 62.5 x 12.5mm
  • 135g
  • 1350 mAh battery

The unboxing is also available in HD at

;)

Got questions? Ask away! ;)

P

Guest darklegend

Digital Compass??

ROM version (Acer code) ?? And can it be ROOTed ?

3D graphics speed?? (try speed forge or the qualcomm demo, or maybe quake 2)

I cant wait to see some Android ROM hacking on the Snapdragon platform

;)

Edited by darklegend

Digital Compass??

Confirmed to be present, I have seen it in action on Google Street View

3D graphics speed?? (try speed forge or the qualcomm demo, or maybe quake 2)

+1 would like to know, also video playback speed? Can handle unconverted 480p H.264 videos?

a couple of questions myself,

Sound Quality is the main thing I'm worried about! How is the volume and call/music playback quality? Speakers are at the back of the phone,beside the camera?

Confirmed to be present, I have seen it in action on Google Street View

+1 would like to know, also video playback speed? Can handle unconverted 480p H.264 videos?

a couple of questions myself,

Sound Quality is the main thing I'm worried about! How is the volume and call/music playback quality? Speakers are at the back of the phone,beside the camera?

Well, I'm not Paul but I can confirm that:

* It plays very smoothly mp4 H264 @ 800x480

* Armadillo Roll and Neocore flow as liquid!

Edited by ssarl

Guest qthaothao

Hi Paul,

Can I ask you about the interface of social networking integration with the contact book or messages? something like what HTC Sense or Motoblur does? Also is it possible to add multi-touch ability in the future? Cheeers!

;)

Edited by qthaothao

Guest vmlinuz
How long does it take to boot?

In your un-boxing video, the first boot take about 1.5 minutes! Hopefully subsequent boots are 1000% less? ;)

Just done a test on my Liquid...

Took approximately 45 seconds from the initial buzz from the bootloader to bringing up the desktop, then a few more seconds to load the icons and pick up my 3G service.

To be honest, unless something is wrong with your phone, you shouldn't be booting more than once or twice a month or so anyway...

Hi Paul

Had a htc hero, which I sold to go to a HD2, which I did not like so back to Android. If you where buying would you go for a Hero or Liquid ?

Comments from others would also be most welcome.

Edited by saquib

Guest Piter1225
Hi Paul

Had a htc hero, which I sold to go to a HD2, which I did not like so back to Android. If you where buying would you go for a Hero or Liquid ?

I would buy Liquid, because of screen resolution and Snapdragon

Thanks - exactly the same 2 reasons why I would go for it. Couple of things holding me back:

- build quality: apperently Acer bought E-Ten who did not have a very good rep for their handsets. Can anyone comment on build quality

- lack of support from xda-developers as non-HTC device!

Thanks.

I would buy Liquid, because of screen resolution and Snapdragon

Hi Paul,

Can I ask you about the interface of social networking integration with the contact book or messages? something like what HTC Sense or Motoblur does? Also is it possible to add multi-touch ability in the future? Cheeers!

;)

There's no Social Network integration on the phone out of the box.

P

Hi Paul,

;)

Theoretically the hardware supports it...

P

Just done a test on my Liquid...

Took approximately 45 seconds from the initial buzz from the bootloader to bringing up the desktop, then a few more seconds to load the icons and pick up my 3G service.

To be honest, unless something is wrong with your phone, you shouldn't be booting more than once or twice a month or so anyway...

It's the fasting booting Android device i've used by far!

P

Hi Paul

IF the battery life stacks up, a Liquid I think... but then I quite like stock Android and i'm not that fussed on having HTC Sense on there.

P

Thanks - exactly the same 2 reasons why I would go for it. Couple of things holding me back:

- build quality: apperently Acer bought E-Ten who did not have a very good rep for their handsets. Can anyone comment on build quality

- lack of support from xda-developers as non-HTC device!

Thanks.

It's a bit creaky, but on the whole, it's a step up from the Eten devices of old.

re: XDA, I'll hack my own device kthx. ;)

P

Guest three_pineapples
There's no Social Network integration on the phone out of the box.

P

interesting. i thought one of the few customisations acer had done involved facebook contact integration. Its mentioned in specs basically everywhere i've seen...

(hoping my liquid will arrive monday!)

interesting. i thought one of the few customisations acer had done involved facebook contact integration. Its mentioned in specs basically everywhere i've seen...

(hoping my liquid will arrive monday!)

Maybe i've missed it! ;)

P

One last thing before I place my order! Sound volume and quality please? ;)

Sound from the speaker is REALLY loud and half decent.

I've not made many calls on it as yet... ;)

P

Thanks Paul. Creaky - my HTC Hero did make the odd noise as well.

What about looks wise - I would have preferred black, how does the phone look in real life ?

Thanks.

It's a bit creaky, but on the whole, it's a step up from the Eten devices of old.

re: XDA, I'll hack my own device kthx. ;)

P