ANDROMNiA - Android for the Samsung Omnia

Guest whiplash000

Guest rfrogman

So where have all the Linux driver experts gone? It appears both whiplash000 Andromina and fladna9 omniaUbuntu projects have come to a screaming halt due to lack of drivers. Don't get me wrong I have the up most respect to all of the programmers involved in getting this far on both projects, but all I have ever heard from the linux crowd is, "You can write a driver for anything in linux, even a toaster!". Where have they all gone? Based on the information on andromnia wiki we know the architecture chipset and processor it should be straight forward to a linux guru to write the driver and recompile the kernal.

Please any linux guru! Re-ignite these endeavors. I know there are cooler new phones out there but some of us have months left on our contracts and would like a chain to our current OS. It's great that the PDA side of the phone is partialy working but without the ability to make call it's kind of useless.

Guest jhitesma

To write a device driver you need to know the details of that device. It isn't enough to simply know what the device is, you need the technical details about it and it's interfaces.

The problem is while it's known what devices are in an Omnia - the low level information about those devices needed to write a driver for them isn't known.

If you know how to write device drivers and have the right information about the devices, then yes. It is very easy and rather quick to write a device driver.

But if you're like the Andromnia developers and don't have that information it's a much slower and more involved process of reverse engineering the device to be able to write and debug the driver. If you read the Andromnia forums you can see that there are a few people who have been working on setting up tools that help them probe the devices to do this reverse engineering. But it's no where near as quick and easy as writing from the docs.

Guest rfrogman
To write a device driver you need to know the details of that device. It isn't enough to simply know what the device is, you need the technical details about it and it's interfaces.

The problem is while it's known what devices are in an Omnia - the low level information about those devices needed to write a driver for them isn't known.

If you know how to write device drivers and have the right information about the devices, then yes. It is very easy and rather quick to write a device driver.

But if you're like the Andromnia developers and don't have that information it's a much slower and more involved process of reverse engineering the device to be able to write and debug the driver. If you read the Andromnia forums you can see that there are a few people who have been working on setting up tools that help them probe the devices to do this reverse engineering. But it's no where near as quick and easy as writing from the docs.

Has anyone tried decompiling th wm 6.5 drivers to find that information? It would give you the machine could the hardware is looking for.

Guest semmtexx
after 10 years maybe hehehehe

BUZZZ!! wake up!

This guy is just pissed because he's stuck with his i900. Keep up the hard work all you guys working on the Andromnia project. I was a hardcore follower until I upgraded to the Eris.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

It is possible to get it work on omnia 2?

If I start it writes to the screen these lines:

HaRET boot

Shutting down hardware

Turning off MMV... ( if read it correctly, it's damn small :mellow:)

In preloader

PSR=?000004f

------^ dunno what this character would be... it looks like a 6 but I'm not sure.

Please help <_<

Edited by Yce

Guest Genichirou Sanada

Do I have to insert the MicroSD Card into my Omnia or maybe I can just use card reader for installing Android on it ? Many thanks.

Edited by Genichirou Sanada

Guest lupus_hegemonia

Anyway... since I'm an i900 owner (and I'll be for long time - finance's issues), is this project... "alive"? Will be released? Thxs.

Guest h8isgr8

Why was my previous post deleted? It contained a perfectly legitimate statement.

Seriously; f^ck this useless forum.

Edited by h8isgr8

i everyone..i'm very interested about this project and i would be happy to have android working on my omnia .... is the project still alive? you're doing a great job..thanks!!! waiting for the next release...

Edited by ketr

Guest panteraz
i everyone..i'm very interested about this project and i would be happy to have android working on my omnia .... is the project still alive? you're doing a great job..thanks!!! waiting for the next release...

You are not the only one!

Guest g3n3ral
This guy is just pissed because he's stuck with his i900. Keep up the hard work all you guys working on the Andromnia project. I was a hardcore follower until I upgraded to the Eris.

ow realyy ????? wahahaha still nothin whahahaa after 25 years!!!! wahahaoo excuse me sir FYI i have i900 and omnia 2 duh!

Guest gman34
ow realyy ????? wahahaha still nothin whahahaa after 25 years!!!! wahahaoo excuse me sir FYI i have i900 and omnia 2 duh!

this project is still not finished?

have you tried marketing this to a google andriod official forum? i'm sure someone will do it. but since the omnia lacks 3d it's a little hard to adapt the newest android platform... but it shouldn't be hard at all to implement the basic phone usage into it since it uses a good qualcomm chipset.

I can't believe no one has done it!

I wish i could tackle it but i'm in school right now ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest andrew.mazlim

TouchFLO3D... Andromnia... and several other dreams, are fine to imagine them. Friends, forget about it... Our i900s are OLD PHONES by now, they can't handle these UIs.

(i900s can't EVEN handle SPB Shell 3.5's 3D graphics!!!!)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest threader

Hey

Not yet supported:

- CDMA/EVDO/3G, Bluetooth, GPS, Motion Sensor, Camera (back or front), Suspend Mode (1-2 hour battery life...) or Optical Mouse.

I came across this

http://www.armdesigner.com/Program70.html and http://www.armdesigner.com/KIT6410.html and idea6410 board, seems Boardcom already has linux and all drivers we need running on our chip! If i had the damned Boardcon linux sources id set up a cross compiling env immediately, but these people dont seem to distribute it anywhere?

Hm, just noticed this is the i9x0 forum mistook it for the b7610 , guess they must be a tad different. But i guess finding a dev board using that chip and rip their linux work should work too :rolleyes:

Edited by threader