Wifi connection, but no internet...

Guest Hyde_man

Guest Hyde_man

Hi all,

I'm new to modaco, but I read that this is the place to be for troubleshooting...

I recently bought a samsung omnia pro B7610 and have som issues with it,

My main problem is my wifi, I can't connect to my D-link router at home, but I can connect to my neighbour's unprotected network. (and other unprotected ones)

But when connected, I can't surf the internet. IE and opera give me a connection error.

I tried every setting and all kinds of tips from other users with similar problems but the problem remains. (at least... I think I've tried everyting)

Does anyone know what else I can do?

problem nr 2.., is it possible to make a .cab file of the samsung application store so I would be able to install it on the GT-B7610?

Also because it's essentially the same platform to run on...

If so, is someone willing to make one

If i run the "kies application" from samsung on my pc it doesn't recognise my phone... very strange.

And then, problem nr 3... well it's not really a problem but it's a bit annoying..,

ever since I installed the windows 6.5 update the colours of the background in work mode (the blue one with the cubes) are banded and just not nice to look at anymore.

On 6.1, it didn't have this problem.

Is it possible to fix this or to replace the background from the work mode?

Work mode is samsung today while private mode is samsung widget plus... is that correct?

And is there some way to get the weather application you see on all the gt-b7610 pictures floating around on the internet installed on my phone?

Mine doesn't have this :s

Well, I hope anyone can help. Thanks to this forum I've

thanks alot in advance...

Grtz

Guest .:stn:.
Hi all,

I'm new to modaco, but I read that this is the place to be for troubleshooting...

My main problem is my wifi, I can't connect to my D-link router at home, but I can connect to my neighbour's unprotected network. (and other unprotected ones)

But when connected, I can't surf the internet. IE and opera give me a connection error.

I tried every setting and all kinds of tips from other users with similar problems but the problem remains. (at least... I think I've tried everyting)

it also happens with standard wifi connection that you can connect to network but can't use the net

try resetting your router to default unprotected mode and connect it then, after that re-set passwd and wifi details

problem nr 2.., is it possible to make a .cab file of the samsung application store so I would be able to install it on the GT-B7610?

If i run the "kies application" from samsung on my pc it doesn't recognise my phone... very strange.

I guess having .cab extracted gives you nothing since application checks phone settings/name, samsung app store sucks at this moment it only serves 3 handsets, and 4 languages.. this is also why although you download apps to kies can't instal them on b7610

Some ppl in samsung should realize that O2 and PRO is almost the same and add O2 working apps together with b7610 section.. but this is rather question to them..

And then, problem nr 3... well it's not really a problem but it's a bit annoying.., 

ever since I installed the windows 6.5 update the colours of the background in work mode (the blue one with the cubes) are banded and just not nice to look at anymore.

Work mode is samsung today while private mode is samsung widget plus... is that correct?

And is there some way to get the weather application you see on all the gt-b7610 pictures floating around on the internet installed on my phone?

My guess you haven't read forum carefully, have you? You can't do much bout samsung today now, hope someone will solve it. I'm looking into it myself.. don't have enough time though.

Regards.

Guest ErnstJanF

I have some experience with your main problem.

Is your router using MAC filtering?

Does your router support IPv6? (this could be a problem..)

Is your router using WPA2 encoding? (I think WM doesn't support WPA2 yet..

WEP could work but you will need to set every setting yourself.

If you are a experienced user, you could try wireshark to see what the connection between the router and the phone does ;)

(Hard reset?)

Hope I helped you out!

Guest Hyde_man

Thanks for the response guys,

I'm going to try this tomorrow when I'm at home.

Really hope it works.

But then theres still the problem that I can't surf the internet even when connected with my neighbour's unprotected network.

Could someone maybe post his full network settings from his phone (all of it plz) so I can configure it the same way and try it again then...

many thanks!

Grtz

Guest .:stn:.
Is your router using WPA2 encoding? (I think WM doesn't support WPA2 yet..

WEP could work but you will need to set every setting yourself.

c'mon don't spread heresy, times of inquisition are long gone :>

it does work with wpa2, proof:

wpa2psk.th.png

I'm using DL-524up  dlink wifi router in g mode and only thing for me to do was to type the correct password.

I guess having .cab extracted gives you nothing since application checks phone settings/name, samsung app store sucks at this moment it only serves 3 handsets, and 4 languages.. this is also why although you download apps to kies can't instal them on b7610

Some ppl in samsung should realize that O2 and PRO is almost the same and add O2 working apps together with b7610 section.. but this is rather question to them..

I install caxixi which is in the samsung app store and is for O2 but works good in my B7610 so it is tried that is possible to make working cabs from the application store...don't ask me how I find this app around in this forum...ask the member who make it possible ;)

Guest Digão 100 Noção
Hi all,

Grtz

Hello!

Most of the wireless network used at home and free hotspots are using 802.11g. There are now new broadband router now using 802.11n especially if you got it free from your Starhub Maxonline Plan. In Singapore and Malaysia, most broadband users are using Linksys, Dlink and Belkin.

Omnia (i900, b7610..) is able to connect to wireless routers using 802.11g. There are some Omnia users who are unable to connect to this type of wireless router as their Omnia has been set to use 802.11B by default. Go download & install trial version of SKTools into Omnia, then run Tune Up! and select Network tab (at the bottom), you will see 'WLAN 802.11G support = NO', change it to YES will do. You can also configure your wireless router to use 802.11B & G.

Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G You can set your wirless router to used both 802.11B and 802.11G. Go to Wireless > Basic Wireless Settings and select Wireless Network Mode and choose Mixed. For advanced users, you can also set to use it for B or G only.

[from: http://www.pspmyspace.com/omnia/2008/12/wi...ion-failed.html] **Ctrl+C - Ctrl+V**

That is the trick..

Do this and tell us what happen!! (It worked for my B7610 from Europe. I use it in Brazil)

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue with a D-Link router and your solution has not helped. The SKTools reported like you said it would but the change I made has not solved the problem.

Can anyone help? D-Link, whom I have contacted, are clueless about it. The phone works with any other router and the router I have works with everything but my phone. Frustrating.

What do you mean by wifi adapter? If you mean the settings for a particular access point, where you also determine authentication, data encryption, network key etc, it is and it has always been "internet", not "work".

It is significant that the phone works well with any other router and the router works well with any other computer or palmtop. It is just this very D-Link model that the phone seems to have a problem with. Also, my girlfriend has an identical router and my phone has the same issue with that one.

Guest b7610_fan

on your laptop, do you have vista / windows 7?

if yes do: (put wifi on ofcourse, and if wifi is connected : )

in cmd-> netsh wlan show all

it gives a lot of output.

the latest topic in that output are all the wifi networks available in your enviroment.

copy past the output of the D Link access point to here.

in cmd-> netsh wlan show all
I have XP and this command does not work ;) I am not into it so as to be able to figure out an XP equivalent of what you have written.

I hope you will not give up.

Guest b7610_fan

That command indeed doesn't exist on XP.

your parents / girfriend / college maybe can help you out to give an 'netsh wlan show all' output of the access point ?

Guest b7610_fan

also verify adaper settings are set to 'internet'

Windows settings -> system -> connecitons -> Wifi -> 2nd Page 'Netowk Adaptors' -> set combobox to 'Internet' instead of Work.

Edited by b7610_fan

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

try to give a complete output of your access point with that free app.

Like I said, I am not into this stuff so basically what I'm doing is blind shooting.

The program has a data export option, so I exported all available data to text files: summary, text and wi-scan. My network is the one called D-Link.

also verify adaper settings are set to 'internet'

Windows settings -> system -> connecitons -> Wifi -> 2nd Page 'Netowk Adaptors' -> set combobox to 'Internet' instead of Work.

These are and have been set that way.

I really appreciate your help. I hope you can work something out.

Guest b7610_fan

As you can see, your wifi access point & agatowa access point have the same channel..

You can compare it with having two radio stations at the same frequency.

If you listen to 100Mhz and only one radio station is broadcasting, you will hear music.

If both radio stations are broadcasting on 100Mhz, you will hear them both at the same time.

in WIFI networks, that's called collision & noise. (for one AccesPoint, the data from the other AccessPoint is noise )

So if you both are using the same channel at the same time.. you both will drop out.

So try to set your D-link to another channel ( like 10 or 11 )

BSSID 		   LastChannel

---------	 -------------

( D-Link )	   6

( Spirala )	  1

( agatowa )	  6

( Karol )		7

You are sure there is no MAC filter enabled on your D-link router ?

Try changing channel, save Dlink config.. reboot the Dlink router ( power plug out ... in )

and verify with netstumbler the channel has changed. if netstumber says the dlink channel is now 10 you can proceed:

delete all wifi profiles who exist on your mobile device & try connecting with the windows wifi client. ( not samsung skinned app )

delete the profiles with windows wifi client, not samsung skinned app.

I experienced a lot of issues with the samsung wifi app.(profiles didn't get saved to windows mobile, only in ram of S. wifi app. etc etc )

windows settings -> connections -> wifi -> and click your dlink connection -> next next next .. and wait until it's connected.

Edited by b7610_fan

I have proceeded the way you said except of deleting ALL networks in the Windows wifi client - I only deleted my D-Link network settings. I would rather not delete the others, because I do not have network keys for them other than in these profiles. And bear in mind all the other networks work fine with my phone.

Anyway, it seems nothing has changed. It is just the way it was, except for the channel 10. The phone connects and seems to work. Communicators, like Skype, work well and do not drop connection. The weather widget works fine every time I try to download the forecast. But mail does not work at all and internet browsing works only for a brief moment. So the symptoms are identical.

If you insist, I may delete all AP settings like you said previously but do you really think those profiles affect this very connection?

Once again thank you, appreciate.

Guest b7610_fan

no , deleting all isn't going to help :-)

deleting dlink profile was enough.

wich rom are you using now ? at the moment sec. rom is the only safe rom.