Photo

What makes you stick with Windows Mobile?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

Sonicr360

Sonicr360

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
Uzay,
Maybe the question should be "what makes you SICK with Windows Mobile"?

BIGJEZZA

BIGJEZZA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC Universal
1) The question is why? Why do you stick with Windows Mobile? -

Its open possibilities. I like the idea that for any one goal I can accomplish it in a variety of ways.

2) What feature(s) make you stick with Windows Mobile?

Handwriting - notes, transcriber. When I cant be bothered with the HW or onscreen keyboard. Apps for almost everything. Corporate email is great. Copy and pasting from the web to facebook, word documents, etc. I can easily set almost anything as my ring tone. I can play almost any type of movie file. Tethering with PC. Ability to bluetooth downloads to pc/phone. Ability of phone to act as USB drive. Calander is always up to date, thanks to work. My notes are on the server at work, so if the phone is in the car and I can access a computer, I can still read that important note. *ability to hide caller ID unless the person is in my contacts*

3) What deters you from other Mobile OS devices?
Lack of maturity of the OS. No big HW keyboards. No stylus.

Sonicr360

Sonicr360

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
the problem is guys, when you see and hear reviews like this....

http://www.pcworld.c...ad_reviews.html

http://www.techspot....-execution.html

http://gizmodo.com/5...excuse-for-this

It goes to show how dated and old this is. Much like a Dated old Banger. Time to let it go, and look for something new and fresh.
And that my friends, is where Google and Apple are striving for :)

you can thank guys like XDA, but it should be MS that develop something that keeps your interest in the WM device.

Sonicr360

Sonicr360

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
Just wanted to add another web link for viewing. At the end of the day, WM is not suited to all....

http://www.mobilecru...it-still-sucks/

vjma

vjma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch HD, Sony Ericsson X1
In short, Today screen. I am not too fuss about the latest finger friendly trend and is perfectly happy with even WM5 Today screen. I just love the idea that I can see all the necessary info the moment I switch on the device. That is why I hate the iphone icon based UI.

cold_fire

cold_fire

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Devices:HTC HD2

What do you mean lack of applications like Win MO ?

WM has a few out there. Of course nothing near the 100k apps like iPhone!

There aren't as many useful applications for other OS like there are for Win Mo for example iGO.

terminal 7

terminal 7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Phones,pc,mac,linux,android,osx,nothing else !
  • Devices:toomany-today-M-G
  • Twitter:@terminal7
THE HD2 is the only reason for windows mobile .. thats it.

i own an ipod touch - that satisfies my apple desire, i own a G1 which blew me away when i first used it and still does 8 months later so thats my android desire taken care of.

and i have just this month got myself a HD2 whic i adore (and cant wait for a android port) so im very much a win-mob lover. !

seriously though, i have used WIN-MOB for years and i do still like it - just wish there were a few thousand more apps in the marketplace ( free ones ).

efjay

efjay

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
I stick with WM because of the FREEDOM, to mod, upgrade, flash, customise, hack and generally do or run anything I want. With WM I dont have to worry about someone tracking my every move (ie google, has anyone even read the EULA for something like the location service on the new Manila? They actually say they will track your phone and data usage, why would I want that?) or being at the behest of one company's draconian rules and lack of customisation options (apple). I am currently running WM 6.5 build 28011 with Manila 2.5 (location features turned off) and it works perfectly for my needs.

While far from perfect, I dont see anything in any other mobile os that would make me move from WM.

Mike Graham

Mike Graham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i've been developing in microsoft technology since the 80's (dos, then windows ver 2.0)

i just picked up lg expo on AT&T (& i'm convinced that AT&T's issues are iPhone related, not their network)

its hard to use and buggy in comparison to iPhone and probably android too

i'm totally alienated by the closed iPhone dev environment (no flash, no silverlight, app review process)

i'm deep into c#, wpf & silverlight and not ready to flip over to google / android / chrome / python but i keep an eye on it

i'm convinced i'll figure out win mo 6.5

i can run silverlight pretty well using SkyFire 1.5 (silverlight rendered on server, images transferred to phone)

love the lg expo features
* 5 MP camera - physical camera button on phone
* lg menu - swipe for multiple home screens
* finger print scanner, doubles as scroll pad & button
* slide out keyboard - save the screen for screen stuff
* hi res screen 800 x 480
* wifi
* bluetooth
* fm radio
* messenger
* multiple apps running - physical key to switch & manage tasks

frmariam

frmariam

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i900
I currently own an Omnia and still consider it a good machine. Some professional software are only available for WinMo (like most medical soft). WinMo is great for multitasking. Many cool phones and a wide variety of awesome apps (many of wich are free) available. Too bad so many devs switched platform). I have big hopes for the platform (judging the HD2 and all).

The iPhone simply sucks (no multitasking or usefull free apps + really overpriced considering the hardware). It's just a stupid fab gadget... Most owners can't even use it to it's full potential (I bet that the "ohh shiny!", "my friend has one so I want one" or "Apple rocks and Windows sucks" accounts for more than 95% of the owners). I don't even like the iPod (extremelly overpriced PMP that tries to force you into using iTunes).

The Android doesn't have cool/reasonably priced phones or even a good portfolio of apps... No good ofline GPS app, no good media player (at least nothing like CorePlayer). Should I get one just because it's Linux? I see Google as much of a devil as Microsoft so until intalling an OS into your phone is the same as doing it on a PC (and doesn't void your warranty) the Android platform has nothing to offer. I mean they even blocked users with custom roms from their app store (Microsoft never really did anything about custom ROMs).

Symbian is basically dead... I read news of a new OS versio but I don't believe they'll ever get a good share of users...

Blackberry doesn't suit my needs.

kdkinc

kdkinc

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Flashing
  • Devices:DROIDX
  • Twitter:@kdkinc
My Contract with VZW

9 month 18 days

:) ;)

deyanp

deyanp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:MDA Compact

The Android doesn't have cool/reasonably priced phones

Well, what about Google Nexus One? I just bought HTC HD2 and was always a strong believer, that the WM phones have the best hardware, but now the game has dramatically changed - Google Nexus One has AMOLED screen, more memory plus other goodies compared to HTC HD2 ...

Sonicr360

Sonicr360

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

The iPhone simply sucks (no multitasking or usefull free apps + really overpriced considering the hardware). It's just a stupid fab gadget... Most owners can't even use it to it's full potential (I bet that the "ohh shiny!", "my friend has one so I want one" or "Apple rocks and Windows sucks" accounts for more than 95% of the owners). I don't even like the iPod (extremelly overpriced PMP that tries to force you into using iTunes).

with over 100,000 apps on the apple store, and alot of them ARE free, there are some really useful apps. Our developers make some free ones, and have to say, they are extremely good.

I guess from the response you are going by "hear say" rather than actually seeing it for yourself and using the product?

I do not believe its a case of "apple sucks" or "Windows sucks", but in todays technology, WM fails in comparison to the likes of iPhone and even Android now.

I know I would not buy a WM or iphone just for music as there are cheaper options. But to have something all in one, its quite handy I guess.
Not a real music lover, but more into a device that fits my needs.
Android and iPhone shows WM has not aged well.

frmariam

frmariam

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Well I wouldn't consider the HD2 reasonably priced... And the Nexus isn't availble yet (the machine does look cool).But there's still all the other stuff that makes me stick with WinMo. For someone without these limitation it may be a good choice.

as a sidenote one thing I don't like in all new phones (including my own) is the lack of HW keys (unless you have a qwerty). I think this really limits gaming and usability (a HW key is always a HW key... the touchscreen isn't exactly the same).

frmariam

frmariam

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
How may apps can an iPhone run at the same time? And you say WinMo fails...

I've used MacBooks. I've used my friends' iPhones many times and I still think they fall short. Can you point me a free TCPMP equivalent in the iPhone? How is the office suite in there (docx, xlsx, pptx and pdf)? Browser wise do you have flash/silverlight/java (Skyfire)? At least you have offline GPS now (Google maps just doesn't cut it).

The "Apple rocks and Windows sucks" is something that Apple has exploited to the max in their adds. Their OS isn't compatible with WinMo and they intend to keep it that way. They force us to use bootcamp in their hardware and their sof in Windows machines. What gives?

I didn't say there arent good ones, I said most are useless. Using the 100k argument is pointless. Thousands of tiny apps instead of a few ones that do it all? It doesn't matter how many there are, it's how good they are!

I won't further discuss this since I just express my opinion and don't think I need to defend it.

Edited by frmariam, 23 December 2009 - 08:39 PM.

Sonicr360

Sonicr360

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
Frmariam
Oh please DO Discuss :) That's what this is about!
As I pointed out, WM is just old hat now! Dont forget, a Jailbroken iPhone can multi-task, and if the suggestions that iPhone4G is multi-task enabled, then that is an argument that you cannot stand by.

I use WM, but I dont have many apps open ... why waste the memory!

The majority of apps I have seen and used, plus seen developed shows that the WM platform just does not cut it anymore!
Sorry, but face facts.

I posted some links in this thread. Suggest you read some of the replies, because there are many that are either anti MS or anti Apple.

And right from the start, I did say you will get 2 camps ... one for Android/iPhone and one for die hard WM.

Luckily, I have exposure to the lot ;)

Sonicr360

Sonicr360

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

as a sidenote one thing I don't like in all new phones (including my own) is the lack of HW keys (unless you have a qwerty). I think this really limits gaming and usability (a HW key is always a HW key... the touchscreen isn't exactly the same).

I sort of disagree now (I would have most likely agreed with you over 1 year ago though :)

I have always wanted a device to have more HW keys, but using the Android and iPhone, it just feels alot better.

Im fedup with the Stylus activity when I need to send SMS, and to be honest, the small qwerty keyboard on the TYTN2 is not helping me much!

But playing some games on other devices, I would not be too worried about it. The problem is, a gaming developer could make a game with a device like HD2, and would not be fully compatible with something like TYTN 2 due to button layouts.

That is where I think iPhone and Google are doing things right. A blank canvass, that can be used by all.

But it will not suit everyone .... one camp for HW and another camp for no additional HW keys ;)

Sonicr360

Sonicr360

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
Forgot to mention, I could be wrong, but is there not a CorePlayer now for the iPhone?
Something similar to TCPMP? Not that I use it on a WM device, as I am not too fussed about it !

fards

fards

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • Interests:Human powered vehicles
  • Devices:Dell Streak
  • Twitter:@fardsmobile
it does everything..

no more no less.

no other os does, no matter how much their PR Departments would have you believe otherwise..

frmariam

frmariam

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
One thing about the Android is that many of the native cool apps are done by Google close sourced and paid (already included in the device price). I loved the fact that the system was OSS and it suposedly would bring forth free distros and stuff but the fact is that most apps currently being developed have limited access to the machine features. There's poor C++ support and they have to run from a crippling java sandbox (if I recal correctly). That is not what I thought when I first read about a Linux based OS for smartphones... Also if it goes the way of the Linux the OS will soon become very fragmented (too many versions or distros) and compatibility of apps will be broken.

No CorePlayer for iPhone yet I think (but it's being worked on). Also CorePlayer isn't free (and it was a dirty trick on the GPL they pulled when they killed TCPMP... only a few mods and plugins pop up every now and then but it's still a great player).

Multi tasking is a big deal. A jailbroken iPhone may multi-task but don't forget the warranty is lost in the process. 4G isn't out yet so one can only assume how well it will behave. I also don't know what will WinMo 7 bring...

The huge iPod user base made the acceptance and sale of the iPhone a lot easier and faster. The GUI was a big help (WinMo had a very poor today screen and vkeyboards... there were third party apps to cover those issues but the problem is many users either didn't know or bothered). The huge multitouch screen was one of the strong points.

The development isn't quite open in the iPhone platform now is it? And the conditions to distribute/install the apps on the device (app store...). Zodttd has done a lot of cool stuff for the iPhone (ok many were emus which live in a sort of grey area) that can't be installed in a non hacked machine. And like him there are more.

About gaming development the iPhone has it's life made easy because all the models are identical. In WinMo there are lots of hardware variations and every now and then manufacturers add their own hardware and drivers... Some of these things (like the drivers or hardware specific features) should really be corrected. I feel that Android will face the same issues in the future. The fact that the iPhone has some cool game is because they are easier to develop and the platform has more non-professional/everyday users than WinMo (more than a cool gadget WinMo phones are still very much working tools).

Currently I think I can get a better machine (hardware wise) for the price of an iPhone. And as far as OS, GUI and funtionality I've yet to find something the iPhone can do that a WinMo can't (well at least now that the HD2 was released). I'm just sorry for the devs the platform lost to the iPhone and Android. Microsoft has a long way to go regarding the relation with devs and documenting their product. But I surely wouldn't consider the platform as dead or deprecated.

Edited by frmariam, 23 December 2009 - 11:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users