"Best" ROM?

Guest pd.ryder

Guest pd.ryder

I'm in the mood for flashing a new ROM to my bog-standard vanilla Touch HD. I've read that the HTC update is hardly worth the effort of reinstalling everything afterwards, so I got to wondering what everyone else's preferences were at the moment? Straight for Dutty's most recent release? Or are there better performing versions of 6.5 out there?

The usual method includes "back-up your data before you begin" disclaimer, but do any of these back-up options from Sprite etc support major changes to the host OS? I tried an update on my old Hermes but no back-up app was able to deal with major changes to the OS and comprehensively FUBAR'd the lot :}

Wotcha using guys?

Guest mwright
I'm in the mood for flashing a new ROM to my bog-standard vanilla Touch HD. I've read that the HTC update is hardly worth the effort of reinstalling everything afterwards, so I got to wondering what everyone else's preferences were at the moment? Straight for Dutty's most recent release? Or are there better performing versions of 6.5 out there?

The usual method includes "back-up your data before you begin" disclaimer, but do any of these back-up options from Sprite etc support major changes to the host OS? I tried an update on my old Hermes but no back-up app was able to deal with major changes to the OS and comprehensively FUBAR'd the lot :}

Wotcha using guys?

Personally I am curently using XannyTechROM GRID EVO 1.7 (here) which is actually a 6.5.3 ROM. It seems pretty good - a bit slow at times but other than that it seems OK.

I was using Topix (here) Which started off as a 6.1 ROM (blindingly fast!) but has recently gone over to 6.5 and has lost its way slightly I think.

I have tried to use Sprite backup when changing ROMs but, to be honest, if you want to get it right you need to reinstall apps after the ROM flash. The restore process never quite gets it right for me and the ROMs always work better with a fresh app install. There is also the problem of different ROMs having different apps cooked in - this can really screw things up if you try to restore a backup with an old version of an app that the chef has cooked in!

Good luck!

PS - make sure you have the right SPL before attempting anything won't you. You don't want an expensive brick on your hands!

Edited by mwright

Guest pd.ryder

Thanks for that. Still weighing up the odds... I don't mind messing with it once or twice, but it'll have to just work after that. I can't be doing with faffing to make stuff work or miss calls etc.

I find this 6.1 factory ROM slow enough so I don't want something referred to as "laggy" or "creaky". Maybe the Android ports will be working properly soon? They should wizz along :)