"Battery Usage" weirdness

Guest thenext1

Anyone have a battery charge/level widget?

I found that this was causing a significant drain.

I now, end all tasks on startup. Have wifi (not using wififixer yet) + GPS on. Proximity and light sensor off. Acer power widget displayed (no others).

Locale, handcentsms and my task killer are excluded from auto ending.

lost 12% in just over 10 hours! (overnight).

I'm not sure what background process it is using the battery up, but it is definitely one of them as i noticed when this thread had started that android system didn't show up in my usage statistics leading me to think i'd been auto ending that task anyway.

I use the mippin.com battery widget, don't think it really drains?

P

Guest three_pineapples
I use the mippin.com battery widget, don't think it really drains?

P

yeah i'm not sure anymore... I was using one called BatteryLife. I think it may actually just be the wifi. I think having that on means my phone loses about 5-6% an hour :)

Seems excessive

Guest lucian785

After killing all the apps with advanced task i have 70mb free and android is taking only 4% battery.

PS if i dont kill no app after startup i have ONLY 30mb free. with HK rom. How much memory free do you have with euro rom after booting?

Guest thenext1
After killing all the apps with advanced task i have 70mb free and android is taking only 4% battery.

PS if i dont kill no app after startup i have ONLY 30mb free. with HK rom. How much memory free do you have with euro rom after booting?

27MB on mine, and 74 after cleaning up.

BUT killing apps doesn't fix the problem, on my Liquid the "Android System" battery usage it still start going through the roof at one time or another, until I reboot. This likely means it's a deeply rooted problem.

Let's hope the Paul-rumored ( :) ) firmware update really fixes the issue.

Guest three_pineapples

I don't have the issue of android system showing up in battery usage (its not there at all)!

On 1.002.005 EMEA GEN1.

Have you removed acer widgets, disabled proximity sensor as well?

I now have exceptional battery life if i disable all data connections (1% per hour approx with gps on). With wifi on it is about 6% per hour. Haven't tried with 2G/3G yet!

If you want to get rid of the android system usage thing, just "strip down" your phone, and then add things back in one at a time (widgets, sensors etc)

Guest thenext1
I don't have the issue of android system showing up in battery usage (its not there at all)!

On 1.002.005 EMEA GEN1.

Have you removed acer widgets, disabled proximity sensor as well?

I now have exceptional battery life if i disable all data connections (1% per hour approx with gps on). With wifi on it is about 6% per hour. Haven't tried with 2G/3G yet!

If you want to get rid of the android system usage thing, just "strip down" your phone, and then add things back in one at a time (widgets, sensors etc)

It's not that predictable.

And if Paul said 1.004 brings battery fixes and his new secret firmware does even more, the problem must be there...

Guest three_pineapples

IMPORTANT BATTERY SAVING TIP!!!

So i've got this bug that i've managed to repeat so i'm fairly certain it will help others.

If you enable wifi, it obviously uses more power (5% per hour on mine). However, disabling it doesn't seem to cause it to stop draining the power. When i look at the power usage statistics, the wifi hasn't registered as draining the battery, but it goes down 5% per hour even with it off.

HOWEVER, if you turn your phone off and then on, after disabling wifi, the battery goes back to draining less than 1% per hour...

Any one else experienced this?

Guest chingy1788

hmm

I flashed to test2ru

battery does last longer

on the CSL rom the liquid lasts noticably shorter than my old G1

now with test2ru, the liquid lasts longer

after 5 hours

Liquid with test2ru - 95%

G1 with cyanogenmod 4.2.11.1 and an andida 1600mAh battery (realistically 30% longer than original battery) - 83%

both phones have had tasks killed with Advanced Task Manager at the start

Both phones are on 2G (G1 doesn't want to go 3G for some reason)

Wifi and BT off

same widgets running (unkilled)

Guest three_pineapples
hmm

I flashed to test2ru

battery does last longer

after 5 hours

G1 with cyanogenmod 4.2.11.1 and an andida 1600mAh battery (realistically 30% longer than original battery) - 83%

Wifi and BT off

Can you try with wifi on and let me know how much it drains in an hour? (make sure you set it to keep wifi on even while sleeping! possibly use wififixer to do that as i think sometimes the inbuilt donut control doesn't work so well)

Guest daft009
i think sometimes the inbuilt donut control doesn't work so well)

Where is this "in built" setting?

I use the liquid to listen to streaming radio and atm the wireless seems to disable itself after 15mins of playing (as the screen is unused during this time)

Guest three_pineapples
Where is this "in built" setting?

I use the liquid to listen to streaming radio and atm the wireless seems to disable itself after 15mins of playing (as the screen is unused during this time)

Go to wireless options, then hit the menu button and select advanced options! Then i think its wifi sleep policy.

But if that doesn't work, use wififixer. It just keeps the connection alive by placing a wakelock on the wifi preventing it from sleeping (though i assume donut should be doing this too... ) :)

Guest thenext1
hmm

I flashed to test2ru

battery does last longer

after 5 hours

Wifi and BT off

Good news, although I will wait for a more "official" firmware to come around.

Guest Timmay!

I have been following this topic as I was also having battery issues initially - lots of good suggestions here but the one thing I have found to be THE biggest drain on the battery Background Data.

Settings-->Data Synchronization-->Background Data (untick)

Turn this sucker off and you will have a huge increase in battery life - the only pita is that it wont auto sync to your google account and you need background data enabled to access the market.

That being said the extra battery life far outweighs the small inconvenience of having to turn background data on when i want to use the market.

Cheers

Timmay!

Guest thenext1
I have been following this topic as I was also having battery issues initially - lots of good suggestions here but the one thing I have found to be THE biggest drain on the battery Background Data.

Settings-->Data Synchronization-->Background Data (untick)

Turn this sucker off and you will have a huge increase in battery life - the only pita is that it wont auto sync to your google account and you need background data enabled to access the market.

That being said the extra battery life far outweighs the small inconvenience of having to turn background data on when i want to use the market.

Cheers

Timmay!

I have data, wifi, 3g off most of the time and the battery drains quickly... we have to wait a new firmware that solves the drain bug, before starting to talk normal battery tips...

Guest Timmay!
I have data, wifi, 3g off most of the time and the battery drains quickly... we have to wait a new firmware that solves the drain bug, before starting to talk normal battery tips...

Background data is different from "Data"

Give it a try and see for yourself - it was the one thing that fixed my battery draining quickly

I suspect that something funky is going on with the processes used for background data that just hammers the cpu and hence drains the battery.

I have wifi off, 2g only and data disabled and battery was still draining until i turned off background data - it even pops up with a notice that it will save battery life but some apps may not work properly that require it.

Edited by Timmay!

Guest Asim Aziz

My Findings

for the last week or so the usage was around 8-9% an hour with light use

proximity and light sensors both turned off. android system usage about 2-3%

I Have "Spare parts" installed to check battery usage history.(Phone on time is 100%)

the problem seems to be that even though screen turns off when you press power button or after 1 min the phone never goes into standby. The back of phone alway feels slightly warm (the processor doesnt clock down i suppose).

now the wierd thing is that one day it only used about 2% per hour

checked battery history in "spare parts" and the phone on time was just slightly more than display on time.

only thin i did different that day was connected the phone to PC and used adb

to be sure i restarted the phone and left it for few hours checked again 100% phone on time in battery history and drained about 8% an hour

connected to computer and after a randon adb command disconnected

left for a few hours VIOLA battery usage about 2% an hour battery history says phone on time 1%

Restarted the phone next morning back to 9% an hour

coneected the phone to computer that night and disconnected battery yusage back to 2%

havent restarted the phone since and its still using 2-3% with moderate usage

Guest luthepa1
Not even allowed to share info such as what base Android version or does it include VPN ?

Or even a little teaser about whats new ?

A little of topic but I just wanted to note that I too wanted to use the VPN settings. Bettercut was the answer to make shortcut to the VPN settings. However this turned out to be a big waste of time as I wanted VPN settings to connect to my companies cisco VPN, but android VPN settings does not fully implement the cisco settings/features thus still can not connect. Arghhh!!! iPhone can connect because Apple paid for cisco licensing.

Edited by luthepa1

Guest Ricky Lui

many bros are sharing their suggestions here! Learned a lot! thanks!

But most of the suggestions are to turn off things like the sensors, 3G connection, Sync, removing widgets....

If I turned off all those things, then what's the point of getting a smartphone?

I think the responsibility should goes to Acer (or probably Google). Those 3G connections, sync or applications and widgets are just ordinary things in an Android phone.

(Google) The OS should have a good mechanism to handle idle processes and power management.

(Acer) The manufacturer should have done things to prevent hardwares draining power abnormally.

(Users) We should just enjoy the device as we paid for it!!!

The most ridiculous thing is, Acer claims they put some "Advanced Technology" to improve the battery performance. So resulting a "Longer" battery life. (Sounds like they have made an Android device before to compare with! Funny! :) )

When Liquid is competing to any other Android device in battery life, I don't think it can achieve a "Longer" battery life though.

Here is Acer's claims

======================================================

Unique software enhancements

Acer Liquid also bolsters a set of unique features developed by Acer and its partners:

Improved power management to help achieve longer battery autonomy for intense users;

A new user interface with easy access to entertainment and web bookmarks;

An optimized camera with geo-tagging, ISO, self-timer options and accelerated auto-focus performance;

Exclusive Spinletsâ„¢ application providing free streaming of worldwide music and video, that can be shared with friends and family through web-posting or e-mail;

Smart integration of Facebookâ„¢, Twitterâ„¢, Youtubeâ„¢, Picasaâ„¢ and Flickrâ„¢ in the address book, with realtime notification of status or content updates.

source : http://www.acer.com.hk/acer/news_detail.do...p;CRC=645120130

Guest lucian785

11 hours uptime- battery 89% HK rom 75 mb free.

After trying all the Task managers on the Market i finally found- xRay...install the program then:

1. you have a widget "eRay Memory" "if you tap it will free the memory.

2. Another option auto clear memory after display goes off and after boot.

3..Open eRay- Summary then push the menu button go to process and move the 'Home' to safe (keep Home pushed in the xRay menu and it will ask you if you want to put the application to safe) if you kill the home your desktop will disappear. :)

By the way the program has many options like: dimming the brightness, shows- sd memory, rom memory, ram memory.

Hope it helps!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sss_ddk

Noticed something weird today:

1- i booted my liquid normally. Android system usage dwarfs all other applications

2-i recharged the battery, the next day i noticed the same battery usage

3- i turned off the liquid. removed battery. plugged in charger. reinserted battery. started the liquid normally (no bootloader or anything just start it) . Now radio and phone standby each take 40% and battery lasts a lot longer. This remains until you restart your liquid.

No idea what is happening, just something i noticed

Guest thenext1
Noticed something weird today:

1- i booted my liquid normally. Android system usage dwarfs all other applications

2-i recharged the battery, the next day i noticed the same battery usage

3- i turned off the liquid. removed battery. plugged in charger. reinserted battery. started the liquid normally (no bootloader or anything just start it) . Now radio and phone standby each take 40% and battery lasts a lot longer. This remains until you restart your liquid.

No idea what is happening, just something i noticed

The bug is not completely solved, 2 days ago I recharged the phone overnight and it lasted only 1 day with minimal usage.

Next (and current) recharge, and all is back ok.