how to restore back to default ROM

Guest mokkimhong

Guest mokkimhong

Hi,

i just found this forum and very interested in flashing my O2 rom also :)

i found the topic that i can do a Safe Flashing.

i have few doubts here.

1. what is the different between safe flashing and full flashing(flash eboot, cdc, pda, etc)?

2. after i flash it, if i do not like the new rom, can i flash it back to factory default rom? if yes, how can i do it?

thanks.

Regards

Mok

Guest Terry666
Hi all,

so many experts yet no one cannot help me as newbie here?

someone please help?

thank you.

Don't be sarcastic... Read the forum carefully and you'll find your answers...

The GOOD people which make the ROM's and all are a bit busy to answer ALL our questions.

From my small experience YOU CAN"T flash BACK to Original!!! !!!<<<BUT>>>!!!

You can find in here "Original" ROM and Flash it back...

Before you Flash your new and expensive toy (how I see mine :) ) READ and then READ more... ;)

Look for "Secany" Posts (NOT meaning the other beutiful people here are no good, just I've use his ROMS...)

Best regards Terry666

Guest Ceed19
Don't be sarcastic... Read the forum carefully and you'll find your answers...

The GOOD people which make the ROM's and all are a bit busy to answer ALL our questions.

From my small experience YOU CAN"T flash BACK to Original!!! !!!<<<BUT>>>!!!

You can find in here "Original" ROM and Flash it back...

Before you Flash your new and expensive toy (how I see mine :) ) READ and then READ more... ;)

Look for "Secany" Posts (NOT meaning the other beutiful people here are no good, just I've use his ROMS...)

Best regards Terry666

I have flashed back and forth from my stock rom to others and vice versa easily. Also resetting the phone takes it back to the stock rom

Guest grahamkdt
I have flashed back and forth from my stock rom to others and vice versa easily. Also resetting the phone takes it back to the stock rom

'Resetting the phone' as you put it will NOT revert the device to stock ROM... ever! It will only set the device back to default state (as it was when you first flashed it). If you've flashed a custom ROM and want a stock ROM back on, you'll have to flash a stock ROM :)

Guest Ceed19

Really? thats strange, because every time I do a hard reset on my phone using the key hold method, my phone reverts back to the way it was ythe day i got it from the store. All software is back, the rom I flashed it to is no longer there, the rom version changes, the free memory changes. everything goes back to the EXACT same way it was with the EXACT same rom it had the day i got it. I have to subsequently flash a new rom again to free up memory and get rid of all those programs that came on the stock rom, and then reinstall my software. Any rom specific programs or options no longer function or work as they no longer exsist. the rom files disappear from the flashed rom and the rom files from the stock rom come back, exactly as the day I bought it.

Guest Ceed19

I flash my device to gain memory. To get rid of the junk filling the device memory that comes on the stock rom. When I reset the device, all that junk comes back, my device memory becomes very low again, and I have to flash with a rom with less junk in it to gain some of that memory back.

Edited by Ceed19

Guest grahamkdt

... if this device works that way then I stand corrected. I've been using and flashing / customising Windows Mobile devices since Pocket PC 2002, and I've never had one that reverts back to original stock ROM after hard-resetting. I can't see that this is possible. Flashing the ROM overwrites and replaces the previous ROM - a hard-reset can't reflash the original ROM :) ??!! Is this something new Samsung have developed??

Guest Ender Psp
... if this device works that way then I stand corrected. I've been using and flashing / customising Windows Mobile devices since Pocket PC 2002, and I've never had one that reverts back to original stock ROM after hard-resetting. I can't see that this is possible. Flashing the ROM overwrites and replaces the previous ROM - a hard-reset can't reflash the original ROM :) ??!! Is this something new Samsung have developed??

Yes, it appears so. The answer lies in the second hidden partition in MyStorage which apparently holds the stock rom that the phone originally came with, for Omnia2's internal Octan. (I have a 2GB model and the second hidden partition is 512MB).

And I thought it was possible to backup and then restore your own rom using Sorg's utility dskdump and O2Util:

1. Copy dskdump.exe to Storage card and run it. When it ends it displays a window: Finished/Success. It creates a file called rom_dump.bin

2. Run o2util.exe rom_dump.bin and you will get rom_dump.nb0

3. This rom_dump.nb0 you can flash using Octans.

The above steps are taken from here:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=&sho...t&p=1138652

I personally haven't tested this method yet, maybe someone who has can confirm/infirm all the above?

Edited by Ender Psp

Guest Ceed19

hmmm, I would really like to replace that rom with another also. I hate it if I have to reset the phone of god forbid like I had to do this week.

My phone kept saying "no battery" even when the battery was inserted and fully charged, Took it to a store to have it looked at abd the guy behind the counter did a Hard reset!! I was somewhat upset but I did have a full backup on my pc at home so I WAS able to bring it back to how I wanted it without having to reintsall everythiing individually, but I hated the fact that it reverted back to all that stock stuff at all. My phone was just like it came out the box. No ram, no device memory left, and tons of junk programs and free trials clogging it up for no reason

Guest grahamkdt

Is this correct? As I said, I've been modding WM devices for years, but I've never heard of this before. I'm new to the Omnia, so I'm on a learning curve with this device. What you're saying is that if I flash my O2 with a custom ROM, then hard-reset (Dial *2767*3855#) - I will have the stock ROM back with all the trimmings? This is unbelievable! What if we have issues (as Ceed19) and need to hard-reset? Are all the customising / settings / custom ROM gone... all back as Samsung intended? :)

Guest Ceed19

I know on my i8000 a hard reset did not format the storage card, on my i920 it does, perhaps this is a difference between the two models. on the i920, new, i had only 90 meg of free device memory out of 512 i think. and only 7.5 gig of free space on my storage card out of 8 gigs. so according to my numbers there is somewhere around 800-900 megs of "something" on this phone hidden. are these hidden rom files?

Edited by Ceed19

Guest Ender Psp
hmmm, I would really like to replace that rom with another also. I hate it if I have to reset the phone of god forbid like I had to do this week.

My phone kept saying "no battery" even when the battery was inserted and fully charged, Took it to a store to have it looked at abd the guy behind the counter did a Hard reset!! I was somewhat upset but I did have a full backup on my pc at home so I WAS able to bring it back to how I wanted it without having to reintsall everythiing individually, but I hated the fact that it reverted back to all that stock stuff at all. My phone was just like it came out the box. No ram, no device memory left, and tons of junk programs and free trials clogging it up for no reason

How did you hard reset? vol_up+lock+2 dials? Or via master code?

Guest Mr Man2003

I have a feeling that this has something to do with dead devices after upgrade and use "vol_up+lock+2 dials" for Hard Reset!!!

Phone part damage after that!!

Only Samsung Local Support Center can solve this issue!

Edited by Mr Man2003

Guest krimsin

So what's going on here exactly? I currently have Manilla installed and it's working fine but I'd like to start from scratch with the original "CHome/Titanium" that came with the phone (VZW SCH-I920). If I "hard reset" with the button method, will the phone revert to "new" "out-of-the-box" status? Or are we still waiting for confirmation?

Guest Ender Psp
So what's going on here exactly? I currently have Manilla installed and it's working fine but I'd like to start from scratch with the original "CHome/Titanium" that came with the phone (VZW SCH-I920). If I "hard reset" with the button method, will the phone revert to "new" "out-of-the-box" status? Or are we still waiting for confirmation?

If you hard reset you should lose any apps that you installed, yes. And, if there was no corruption in MyStorage (and also if our assumptions are 100% correct) then yes, you should basically revert to OOB status.

BTW, since we're talking about restoring the original ROM, I already backed up the whole MyStorage media using WinHex (2 partitions). I'm not sure if this is going to help, but I want to be prepared for any "just-in-case" scenario. RAR'd, my 2 GB part is around 600 MB.

Edited by Ender Psp

Guest krimsin

I can confirm that the "button" (Vol UP + Screen Lock, Send Call + End Call) method WILL restore the Verizon Wireless Samsung Omnia 2 (SCH-I920) back to its "out of the box" status/settings. There is no need to reprogram the phone either via *228. You will however, lose EVERYTHING you installed and/or any files you added to the "Device" and "My Storage" folders. The phone will be as if you just turned it on for the very first time... Samsung TouchWiz and all. :) I hope this helps anybody who's been wondering what will happen if you do "hard reset". Figured I take the dive head first.

Guest Ender Psp
I can confirm that the "button" (Vol UP + Screen Lock, Send Call + End Call) method WILL restore the Verizon Wireless Samsung Omnia 2 (SCH-I920) back to its "out of the box" status/settings. There is no need to reprogram the phone either via *228. You will however, lose EVERYTHING you installed and/or any files you added to the "Device" and "My Storage" folders. The phone will be as if you just turned it on for the very first time... Samsung TouchWiz and all. :) I hope this helps anybody who's been wondering what will happen if you do "hard reset". Figured I take the dive head first.

Thanks for sharing!

Did you have any other ROM flashed?

Guest krimsin
Thanks for sharing!

Did you have any other ROM flashed?

I had burned through about 3 different roms before I decided to go back to original. I tried WM7 Project, Manilla, and another TouchFLO 3D rom. I literally just did the Hard reset about 5 minutes ago, so now I'm getting all my apps/settings setup again for the 5th time lol.

Guest Ender Psp
I had burned through about 3 different roms before I decided to go back to original. I tried WM7 Project, Manilla, and another TouchFLO 3D rom. I literally just did the Hard reset about 5 minutes ago, so now I'm getting all my apps/settings setup again for the 5th time lol.

SPB Backup works for me especially after I get to bundle the phone the way I like it. :)

Guest mokkimhong

think i have opened a quite interesting post here huh...

this is my first post though...

thanks for all of your information...

by the way, i am going to service my Omnia2. i will ask the help desk person whether hard reset will bring it back to factory default(even it had been flashed).

cheers.

Mok

Guest mokkimhong

sorry. just one quick question.

if i cannot find my country/region/operator in the CSC drop-down list.

meaning that i cannot flash CSC?

basically i flash only PDA for safety purpose right?

thanks.

Regards,

Mok