Gurus: File extracted from ROM part. different than ROM?

Guest dwallersv

Guest dwallersv

Anyone have a clue to what's going on here?

I wanted to play around with customizing some icons, so I grabbed Part02 from my 910 raw, then used viewimgfs.exe to dump all the files from the the partition. I'm targeting the file shellres.192.dll.

Now it gets weird. The extracted file is different in size than the ROM version as reported by Resco Explorer by about 14k. Yet, the extracted file seems to be just fine when looking at it in an icon editor. Now, the biggest strangeness: If I simply replace the ROM file on the device with the unmodified extracted file, all sorts of icons get all screwed up. It doesn't come out the same, as I would expect.

What's going on here?

My theory is that there is some executable code in the DLL as well that is not being included in the file by viewimgfs. For almost all the DLLs from the partition, the tool creates a directory with 4 files in it -- the DLL, two files with status info from the extradction, and -- here's the interesting bit -- a file called S0000 that is the same size as the actual ROM file on the device.

So, I'm thinking some necessary executable code from the DLL is not being extracted into it -- just he bitmap resources for the icons.

Can anyone confirm this, or if not, explain what's going on? More importantly, is there a different/better tool to pick apart a raw partition file and extract files properly?

Thanks for your help!