Is the iPhone really sustainable?

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

The iPhone. Supposedly the best smartphone currently on the market. The first model was released on the 29th of June 2007, to great acclaim and excitement. Now over two and a half years old, on it's third iteration, the wonder phone claims to be the "must have" device that we simply cannot do without, even with the rather conservative specs that are now rather staid, looking at the latest crop of Android handsets.

Are Apple really running out of ideas?. I mean, how many "revolutionary" features can they possibly dream up?. The iPhone still can't send files over bluetooth, still only has a 3mp camera, still requires iTunes to sync, is STILL £600 sim free!! B) ... the list of missing features goes on and on. It was a great device in 2007 and no debate, but for how long can this device continue to amaze and enthrall us, gouging £440.40 a throw on O2 payg ;) - you can buy a SIM FREE AND UNLOCKED Moto Milestone for only £20 more, with a 480x854 screen, and a plethora of amazing features.

Copy and paste was greeted with great excitement last year, when Apple finally shipped the feature in iPhone OS 3.0, and people were genuinely excited about something that, in all fairness, should have been there from day one; Nokia, with their unforgivably screwed up and buggy Symbian OS phones, have had copy & paste for years. I just want to ask the question... how long can Apple hold it's audience, until the consumers realise how much they may have been paying for all this old generation tech?. Even iPod touch owners have to pay for major updates to iPhone OS, I mean it's not going to break the bank, but it is fair?.

This is just a little snippet of how I feel about the whole Apple situation; I was an avid Mac & iPhone evangelist for years... but I have suddenly opened my eyes a little, and realised what I have been missing around me, that is not Apple... A LOT!!. I'd just like to ask the good people of MoDaCo what you think - how long can Apple keep on selling this rather limited device for at the current price, until they are pushed aside by something bigger and better, for the same dough (or less!).

In the author's personal opinion, I'm going to be getting a Motorola "Milestone" shortly - I feel it is a far better device, with superior specs, and I don't feel like I've been screwed (again).

Please do feel free to comment.

[EDIT] Only this second has a friend called me, and told me that Google have released the Nexus One... watch out, Apple! :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest squirreleater

The iphone is a slick machine that is easy to use and friendly, coupled with a very clever sustained marketing machine and you have your answer.

Basically yes, the iphone will dominate for the near future, the nexus one launch today is what google and others need to be doing all the time to take the headlines away from apple.

Advertising, the only time another phone gets headlines is when they push the thing heavily, like the moto droid recently in the US.

I don't like it , but thats how it is.

Guest glossywhite
The iphone is a slick machine that is easy to use and friendly, coupled with a very clever sustained marketing machine and you have your answer.

Basically yes, the iphone will dominate for the near future, the nexus one launch today is what google and others need to be doing all the time to take the headlines away from apple.

Advertising, the only time another phone gets headlines is when they push the thing heavily, like the moto droid recently in the US.

I don't like it , but thats how it is.

"That's how it is" - yes, for now. Don't be so sure - anything can happen.

Guest squirreleater
"That's how it is" - yes, for now. Don't be so sure - anything can happen.

Indeed, Android is changing the landscape, the iphones share will drop by this time next year for sure.