1) Samsung Omnia i900 Windows Mobile smartphone, with ActiveSync syncing with remote Exchange server over 3G/Internet connection.
2) Workstation PC with ActiveSync, firewalled to block the Exchange communication through ActiveSync's Internet passthrough.
3) USB connection between the PC and mobile.
I'd like to use MyMobiler to 'remote control' the phone through the ActiveSync USB connection. I only want to use the USB connection to charge and remote control the phone, while all network activity should still use the phone's 3G connection.
However, when I connect the phone with the PC, the GPRS/3G data connection is disconnected, and the phone seemingly wants to sync with the PC (network passthrough) and won't establish a data connection. At this time, I have no real clue why this happens.
My current configuration is as follows:
Workstation's ActiveSync Connection Settings:
- Allow USB Connections
- Computer is connected to Work Network.
- Checked Allow wireless connection on device when connected to the desktop
- Start --> Settings --> Connections --> USB Connection Mode: ActiveSync.
- Start --> Settings --> Connections --> USB to PC: Unchecked Enable advanced network functionality.
- ActiveSync: When cradled Checked Synchronize all PCs using this connection: `USB Default. This seems to be a prerequisite for allowing *any* communication over ActiveSync, i.e. MyMobiler (and not just syncing contacts/messages/whatnot through ActiveSync).
- ActiveSync on the PC offers the setting "Allow wireless connection on device when connected to the desktop", but apparently this isn't working the way I want.
- Airscanner Airfix seems to try and offer a solution, but killing the ActiveSync process doesn't help either.
- I also found reference to a registry tweak, setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\AllowDSP=0, which would supposedly disable the ActiveSync passthrough. Having even applied this on my mobile, no resolve.
- Additionally, the thread at WMDC offers a solution through IR and Bluetooth, though doesn't fix my issue with the USB connection.
I found this issue (and related ones) scattered throughout the Internet (and on this forum), which is why I want to centralize all 'fixes' in this post.
Update April 8 2010
Did a Hard Reset of my phone. Figured I might as well configure this working from the start, before I customize it. Out of the box it worked, I performed the following:
1) Hard reset
2) On ActiveSync start, I specified not to sync the devide with my laptop nor with my company's Exchange server. Configured the settings as mentioned above.
3) Ran MyMobiler v1.23, installed it on my device so I can control it through my laptop.
The result is, I can connect to my modem using MyMobiler, while still maintaining the wireless connection on my device.
I'm guessing this functionality will break as soon as I tend to setup the PDA's ActiveSync synchronization with the company's Exchange server. Will perform more tests.
I tried adding my Exchange account info through MyMobiler's remote connection, but the Email Account wizard detected the link and told me I should set up a partnership from my PC instead.
I pulled the USB cable, after which the wizard would allow me to specify my Exchange info on the PDA itself.
The Exchange server enforces a security policy. This at least pertains to the PIN requirements. I used RegShot to make a before and after policy dump to see what exactly changed.
Edited by Bouvrie, 08 April 2010 - 08:29 AM.