swype on Nexus One

Guest martinbrook

Guest martinbrook

'This is revolutionary'

Just tried to swype this phrase and did not get close to all the letters but it still picked it out.

Amazing.

Just download the swype beta. 'just search for swype beta'

Guest martinbrook
i have it installed on my N1, too bad it does not work in landscape mode at the moment, since screen isn't fully supported

Even my other half said how does that work

Guest cezent

can anyone tell me where I can download it? its not on Market isnt it?

update: found it after google search "Swype Beta Nexus One"

Edited by cezent

It's great, but definitely needs an update to work in landscape on the N1.

Try Shapewriter, its almost as good as Swype. I find it get words wrong very often but it is at least stable in N1

Couldnt find this in market no matter how many different terms I searched! Managed to download it from this site in the end and install with 'Apps installer' (which you can download from market!).

Just for some clarification to newbies:

1) Download swype from link above or other source

2) Unzip the .apk file to your phones SD card (connect phone to PC and mount the SD card)

3) Download 'App Installer' or similar installer from Android Market, and install

4) Launch App Installer or similar and select the swype .apk file to install

5) Go to Settings > Language & Keyboard and select 'Swype' checkbox to enable (green tick)

6) Go to enter some text, for example in a text message. Hold down in the text box until little box pops up saying 'Input Method', select Swype

Note: this is Motorola Droid/Milestone and Nexus One only due to high screen res. of these devices. There is also a bug in the Nexus One version which causes it to come up with a screen resolution error, ignore this and it'll work fine in portrait mode, but NOT landscape!

Edited by Iggy82

SlideIT for Android will be available soon

see this video:

SlideIT site

Looks good. The overall presentation / skin of the keyboard looks a lot more presentable.. In terms of functionality, not sure how the two will differ. Can't wait to try both of them out - Swype & SlideIT

Guest kwandds

Swype does not plan on releasing it to the market anytime soon. They're working directly with manufacturers. And that annoying error screen everytime I change the position of the phone is enough to make me not want to use it.

Compared to Swype, Shapewriter isn't as forgiving. It also doesn't have underscore, which is a deal breaker, since some of my logins have that character.

Hopefully SlideIT is as good as Swype.

I read somewhere there's a keyboard coming up that enlarges the keys that are used the most. Anyone heard of it?

Guest necosino

omg this is awesome! This is one of the reasons I was thinking about holding off on the N1 when it comes to Verizon, but if swype is working on it, then that is just fabulous! lol :)

Guest muncheese
Swype does not plan on releasing it to the market anytime soon. They're working directly with manufacturers. And that annoying error screen everytime I change the position of the phone is enough to make me not want to use it.

Compared to Swype, Shapewriter isn't as forgiving. It also doesn't have underscore, which is a deal breaker, since some of my logins have that character.

Hopefully SlideIT is as good as Swype.

I read somewhere there's a keyboard coming up that enlarges the keys that are used the most. Anyone heard of it?

Underscore is there, hit the @ sign then scroll through the list up top.

Well I have TG-01 with swype installed and it works perfectly with the WVGA resolution.. Couldnt someone port over the graphics from that one to the Android version?

Just an idea

Jm

Guest awarner (MVP)

Any posts linking or hosting Swype will be removed.

Unfortunately as yet this is not a commercial app and the author has requested it's removal.

At least with signs of the beta the situation may be changing.

Fingers crossed for all platforms

FWIW: if you unzip the apk, and copy SwypeRef_LS_Standard_wBlue_WVGA854.png to SwypeRef_LS_Standard_wBlue_WVGA.png (under assets/keyboards), then re-zip and sign it, it at least stops complaining when you rotate to landscape.

it is however quite unusable due to the lack of multitouch (and because of the wrong png). when you type fast, it will sometimes detect two touches as a swype and all hell breaks loose.