Modaco Exclusive: WM 6.5.X Build 23551 WORKING STOCK ROM- V3

Guest lioryte

Guest Yo Mama

Ditto what skinneejoe stated. Too bad it's not just an April fool's joke. I am running V2. The exact error message is:

This copy of Windows Mobile expires within 30 days on 05/01/2010.

Looking around the forum, it appears either the registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Device Beta] is the culprit or maybe we need a patched shell32.exe?

This key exists in my registry but most of the values are blank.

About

Expiry

Reminder 1 (0X000001)

Today

I also see the same problem exists with Lioryte Base 23551+mortscript 4.3β Free:~170MB 16MB PagePool, WM 6.5 CF03 BASE 23551

Edited by Yo Mama

Guest robertjm

Happened to me last night promptly at 1am PAC. Phone let out an alarm I'd never heard of, nor set, and so I immediately looked at it.

I sure hope this is fixed in the next 30 days so I don't have to hunt for a new ROM to flash. :P

Robert

Guest Corki2

I had the same expiration message this morning also. I have tried several ROMS and finanlly decided this is the one I will stick with. Now this... I was reading another post somewhere about about the same issue. I can't recall which ROM, or where I read it, but it seems someone bricked their phone trying to get around it. I guess the warning is not to be taken lightly.

Guest skinneejoe
This key exists in my registry but most of the values are blank.

About

Expiry

Reminder 1 (0X000001)

Today

I read somewhere that the notifications may still be in place, but that the "time-bomb" has actually been removed. According to the registry values above, one could GUESS, and I emphasize guess, that maybe that's the case here because the Expiry is blank, yet the reminder is 1. If there is a person brave enough to try it, you could set your date forward past the expiration and see if it locks up. If it doesn't, then we are all probably safe (assuming the different ROM versions are the same in this regard). If it DOES lock up I believe you can still "un-brick" it from what I've read, by putting your phone into boot loader mode and re-flashing it. But don't take my word for it! And if nobody is brave enough to try (I'm not since I have a convention this weekend and need my phone) I don't blame you! Hopefully the ROM chef will respond soon...

Guest Corki2

It says" This concludes the beta test.. bla bla bla... Soft reset takes it back to this screen from which there is no escape. Gonna go switch to my other phone now...

:P

I just reflashed to a different ROM successfully, so no real harm done.

Edited by Corki2

Guest robertjm

EXCELLENT!! We all appreciate it!

Robert

Looks like I forgot to patch the timebomb in 23518...

I'll be posting a cab file with the patch on Sunday.

Guest skinneejoe
What the heck. I'll do it. I have 2 i910's. If I brick one, I still have another. Wish me luck.... I'll post back in a few..

Corki2 - Thanks for taking one for the team! Sorry it didn't work out and that I lead you astray, but we all appreciate that you had the gumption to try it for us!

Looks like I forgot to patch the timebomb in 23518...

I'll be posting a cab file with the patch on Sunday.

lioryte - thank you so much for patching this ROM! it's the best one available as far as I'm concerned and I was soooo bummed when I got that message! I'm assuming the patch will work for any ROM version?

Guest lioryte

OK here goes...

I don't have my original 23518 file but I did manage to get one. Looks like this should work. (A patched Shell32.exe) Attached is a .zip file with the shell32.exe file and a .cab file.

Instructions:

Extract file. Install cab file to device memory and soft reset OR copy shell32.exe to /windows directory using Resco/TC and soft reset.

Please let me know if this fixes the time bomb issue. Sorry abot all the trouble 23518 was a very popular release...

23518_TB_patch_0.1.zip

Guest clange50

Loving this so far, thanks. Anyone else having a problem with getting rid of the Getting Started section on the today screen though?

Edited by clange50

Guest lookinforinfo

Mine says the following when I try to install the patch from the cab file.

Installation was unsuccessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have sufficient system permissions.

Where can I get Resco and some instructions on using it?

Guest lioryte
Mine says the following when I try to install the patch from the cab file.

Installation was unsuccessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have sufficient system permissions.

Where can I get Resco and some instructions on using it?

So just install the cab file do your device memory

Guest lookinforinfo

I thought that is what I was trying to do. I tried to install it to device and also to my storage but I get the same error message both times

Edited by lookinforinfo

Guest Yo Mama

Well, I tried installing the .cab today and got the same error - presumably because shell32.exe is in ROM. So I launch RescoExplorer and copy shell32.exe into \Windows. Then I reset the phone and it freezes up on the WoZZer screen that says to touch the top taskbar. So I am now re-flashing V2 to the phone and going to try again with TotalCommander.

Edit:

Just repeated steps with TotalCommander and got the same result. Stuck at the screen that says "WoZZeR's Stock ROM WM 6.5.X Build 23518 Tap the Top taskbar to Start"

Another tidbit: in this state the power button does not work, however soft reset does work.

Edited by Yo Mama

Guest lioryte

Not sure why my fix isn't working. I'm working on a V3 build 23551 which will be the final version for this project. I'll update when it's ready.

Guest lioryte

OK,

First, I just wanna thank all who have d/l this ROM. I don't have the time to see why the patch ain't workin' and so I just made a V3. Unfortunately, since I obviously can't provide any quality support for lack of time, this will be the last update. I couldn't recognize a timebomb here and so you can use this one for as long as you want.

This is based on build 23551, which is a COM5 build, I've been using it with my base for a while now and it's as stable as they come (I use the omnia for business)

This is COM5 and so you get the threaded email and mobile office 2010 build in. I kept the help files, marketplace and myphone cooked in along with tellme.

I think/hope/wish that whomever use this release will be satisfied. everything seems to work as it should. If not...Sorry. If time provide I will update but I wouldn't hold my breath :P

Thanks again

Guest Yo Mama

Thank you Lioryte.

I have 6 friends currently using the V2 build, and I'm trying to avoid having to assist them in flashing to V3 (because some of them are far away).

So today I tried to create a patched shell32.exe. I don't know where to get a stock shell32.exe, so I used smaury's osKitchen data files for 23518, then used patched shell v1.01 to patch the S000 file, and then used recmod to create the shell32.exe. Unfortunately I got the same result... a non-working phone. So it looks like V3 for me.

On a side note:

I imagine some users will ask how to remove the V.3 logo in the lower right corner. Your 'Lioryte logodown' cab file removes the stock wording but not the V.3. I know how to remove it from the registry but I'm not sure how to create a cab file for everyone to use... yet.

Guest thekevster
Thank you Lioryte.

I have 6 friends currently using the V2 build, and I'm trying to avoid having to assist them in flashing to V3 (because some of them are far away).

So today I tried to create a patched shell32.exe. I don't know where to get a stock shell32.exe, so I used smaury's osKitchen data files for 23518, then used patched shell v1.01 to patch the S000 file, and then used recmod to create the shell32.exe. Unfortunately I got the same result... a non-working phone. So it looks like V3 for me.

On a side note:

I imagine some users will ask how to remove the V.3 logo in the lower right corner. Your 'Lioryte logodown' cab file removes the stock wording but not the V.3. I know how to remove it from the registry but I'm not sure how to create a cab file for everyone to use... yet.

if you want to share the reg entries, i could create a cab for you.

Guest Yo Mama
if you want to share the reg entries, i could create a cab for you.

Here's how they would appear in _setup.xml

<characteristic type="FileOperation" />

<characteristic type="HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\DeviceBeta">

<parm name="Expiry" value="" datatype="string" />

<parm name="Today" value="" datatype="string" />

</characteristic>

I tried using CeRegEditor to convert the .reg to .cab but it didn't create the _setup.xml exactly the way I wanted it to be. Kevster what do you use to create cab files (of just registry entries)?

Edited by Yo Mama

Can anyone confirm if this works on telus?

I searched the forum and read that most of this is VZ stuff.

Does anyone know? Switching some data around to make it telus capable can't be that hard :P (I envision doing a byte verify comparison on the two base 6.1 roms and applying the same changes to both?)

please?

Our rom sucks.

Guest robertjm

There was a thread that Adrenalyne emphasizes that anyone on Tellus or Bell should NOT flash their Omnia with a custom Verizon ROM, warning that it will most likely brick the phone.

As I'm not on one of those networks I know not what the problem was, or if it still exists. Just wanted to point it out to you in case you didn't see it.

Can anyone confirm if this works on telus?

I searched the forum and read that most of this is VZ stuff.

Does anyone know? Switching some data around to make it telus capable can't be that hard :P (I envision doing a byte verify comparison on the two base 6.1 roms and applying the same changes to both?)

please?

Our rom sucks.

Edited by robertjm

Guest rtimi28

Now that there is a DC22 firmware could someone please build an omnialite b7300 rom for us. Sorry we aren't programmers like you. I do however believe people would love it greatly. thanks,

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Randy7628

Lioryte, this was a great rom for CF03! I had to flash to DC22, and I'm a little edgy about flashing a CF03 Rom on top of DC22. I really wish you and/or Wozzer had time to cook up this exact same rom for DC22. Thank you for all your hard work on this. If I could figure out how, and had time to do it, I would cook up roms, and they would probably be very similar to this one. Thanks again guys. Great Work!

Update

Well, I got over my edginess. I went ahead and reflashed my phone with this ROM. Yeah I know, you risk bricking your phone, and the polar ice caps melting, and 2012 being the end of the world, but I really like this rom. It works flawlessly - although I do not recommend this because of the above mentioned gloom and doom. So, thanks again guys!

Edited by Randy7628