Windows Mobile 7 Coming to HTC HD2?

Guest philly-d

Guest philly-d
thumb_21-Oct-2009_wm7.png

Well that's what Microsoft are hinting at! Greg Sullivan, Senior Marketing Manager at Microsoft says:

Our fragmentation issue is primarily around screen resolutions and assuming a minimum CPU and storage. So it has been a little bit challenging, because that choice, that flexibility, that freedom that people have to build any kind of device and use any kind of device: touch, non-touch, keyboard, soft key, has required a little bit extra effort in some cases for developers to target apps that run across a wide array of devices,” Sullivan said.

“But the (HTC) HD2 is a great early example of our new approach…We’ve got capacitive and multi-touch support in a Windows Phone, and that’s because we did the platform work while working very closely with HTC to do the hardware/software integration.”

“So how are we having our cake and eating it too? We’re going to continue the horizontal market, but work very closely with our hardware partners to provide more guidance on the platform so we don’t have nine different display sizes that independent software vendors have to target…maybe just two…

“We’re going to continue investing in the user experience, and the legacy pocket PC 1999 UI that still kind of shows up if you drill down pretty deep? That’s another thing that’s changed

Sounds promising, and looks like there will be fewer screen sizes, with the HTC HD2 4.3 inch screen being one of them!

If Windows Phone 7 is going to be "restricted" to a few devices, it gives you an idea why Windows Mobile 6.5 is still being tweaked.

Do you think a dual OS strategy will work or is it a case of too little too late?

[Via pocketnow.com, mobiletechworld.com and betanews.com]

Guest rupert_hollom

I hope that there is confirmation that Mobile 7 is goingto be available on the HD2, would be a good driver for people to buy knowing they can upgrade.

I am concerned that MS will continue to loose marketshare to Apple and Google until they show that they are taking the phone market seriously, and even then it might be too late with the momentum and interest that the other 2 have garnered - Microsoft are going to have some serious marketing budget behind Windows Phone / Mobile 7 if they want to get a decent market share.

I think a dual OS strategy will just confuse the majority of potential users - as with most things the best solution is the simplest - therefore get cracking on Mobile 7 and get it out the door and onto devices!

Edited by rupert_hollom

Guest Sonicr360

I say its too late OP !

you have people that "may" have recently bought a 6.0 or 6.5 Windows Mobile, so MS are happy you have filled their pockets with your dosh!

Now ... if you want 7 ..... NEW PHONE!!! Yes... .nice way to treat your customers !

WM is too old to be seen as real competition now. When you see decent stuff out there for iPhone / Android it probably is a case of "too little too late" !

Guest Shuflie

I've been reading a lot of reports lately that seem to hint that Microsoft are trying to freeze the market, hinting that WM7 may appear sooner than it is actually going to. Apparently, if these reports are to be believed, it won't actually get released until 2011, even if it does get a demo outing in some form next month to keep people interested. Now if all that is true the above statement from Greg Sullivan may just be ploy to stop the flagship WM6.5 device from flopping when it hits Stateside, hints from Microsoft that the HD2 might run WM7 don't count for anything. Unless HTC come out and say that the HD2 will get an upgrade to WM7 when it arrives (as they did for the Diamond II and TP2 for 6.5) then it most will probably be stuck with 6.5 until an unofficial XDA ROM port arrives, and that's even if Microsoft show WM7 running on an HD2 for their demo, they've done that in the past with the Universal.

Guest agent.m

If microsoft can integrate some software features into the 6.5 platform, most importantly a better marketplace then it wouldnt be too late. They need to fix the marketplace and maybe add if possible some new services that they are keeping tight lipped about. 6.5 was to compete with Android so microsoft need to make sure the marketplace is balanced with quality apps. If microsoft can improve the 6.5 experience then people will make the upgrade and critics like us will give MS more props. 6.5 so far has been a PR disaster.

But for me 6.5 has to work for Microsoft. It doesn't make sense for them to leave it virtually as it is as more 6.5 devices are coming out from now till this summer. Those with a non 6.5 phone who are due an upgrade any time now aren't automatically going to buy a 6.5 phone that's been slated for a poor user interface unless

1)It has HTC sense.

2)Its upgraded when wm7 is out.

or

3)You're not that bothered.

I think most people who just bought a 6.5 device over the summer (Diamond 2, touch pro etc) will be due an upgrade by the time Wm7 comes out so lets see what happens

I think most people who just bought a 6.5 device over the summer (Diamond 2, touch pro etc) will be due an upgrade by the time Wm7 comes out so lets see what happens

I upgraded to a TP2 in September 2009 as the HD2 was not quite around then (and I preferred a keyboard anyway), and because I figured that by the time my 18 months was up, WM7 would be out natively on phones, there would at least be a choice of handsets, and the guys at XDA would have started to get to grips with it. I am more than happy with my decision and its timing.....

Guest agent.m
I upgraded to a TP2 in September 2009 as the HD2 was not quite around then (and I preferred a keyboard anyway), and because I figured that by the time my 18 months was up, WM7 would be out natively on phones, there would at least be a choice of handsets, and the guys at XDA would have started to get to grips with it. I am more than happy with my decision and its timing.....

:)

XDA are legends since i finally got the LEO rom working how i wanted (ie Messaging working) im more than happy with TD2 for now. Also with Android emulation as well (HERO version almost here) alot to be get us by.... almost.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.