no plans for WaveSecure update.zip*

Guest shenye

Guest shenshang

I asked wavesecure about future update.zip format releases and they replied:

"No firm plans about the update.zip format to install WaveSecure in the system partition. We may plan to do that in the future for users who have rooted their phones."

Original: facebook.com/wavesecure?v=feed&story_fbid=244697626731

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I asked wavesecure about future update.zip format releases and they replied:

"No firm plans about the update.zip format to install WaveSecure in the system partition. We may plan to do that in the future for users who have rooted their phones."

Original: facebook.com/wavesecure?v=feed&story_fbid=244697626731

Not much of an issue for us though :)

If we can get the apk, making and signing an update.zip file is trivial, so I wouldn't be too bothered though. Quite why they're not going to do it anyway, I don't know (even a monkey can be trained to run a shell script).

Either that, or we just install using root permissions.

adb push com.wavesecure.wsandroid.apk /system/apps/

Or, another suggestion. Could Paul host the apk file, and users with root could just download the APK and use connectbot or terminal emu. to copy to /system/app?

Obviously, this won't be a problem for us, but I think it's a bit 'rude' to ignore everyone who wants this when it is so simple (and free) to do. I think IIRC Paul even said he gave them his script that created the update.zip. If so, now they've got no excuses...

[/rant]

EDIT:

@shenshang: great minds think alike lol xD

The account is tied to the device id (IMEI). Flashing a new ROM on the phone will keep the account on the server. WaveSecure can just be re-installed without any issues.

No firm plans about the update.zip format to install WaveSecure in the system partition. We may plan to do that in the future for users who have rooted their phones.

I just asked the exact same question about flashing ROMs with regards to activation at http://blog.tencube.com/2009/12/wavesecure...ml#comment-form . Seems they're taking a very fair line on this one for us 'flashers'... I've also replied to them asking if there is any possibility of making 'update.zip' s if they had a one-click script.

Just need to wait, but I doubt it.

Edited by pulser

They seem to be waiting for the script. :)

so now they are trying to talk themselves out of the misery by saying they are waiting for the script? that is soooooo lame, it is not hard to make an update.zip, if they are really concerned about security they should figure it out themselves...

seriously, imho this is an embarassment for the developers of this otherwise pretty good app.

so now they are trying to talk themselves out of the misery by saying they are waiting for the script? that is soooooo lame, it is not hard to make an update.zip, if they are really concerned about security they should figure it out themselves...

seriously, imho this is an embarassment for the developers of this otherwise pretty good app.

Well, Paul's replied to them, so either way they should have an update.zip script on their way.

I was thinking about actually making a script for myself (I don't do it that often, so mostly just do the commands by hand), and would have shared it with them, but Paul said he would give them his, so I'll just write mine and test it some time...

Interesting answer that they gave on the blog post when I mentioned in passing about how I was impressed the settings remained. IIRC, it was either me or shenshang that suggested we leave it as 'magic'. I think I have an idea about how it works, so I might have a little playing session with some files and 'circumstances' the phone might be in. It's just a hunch, but it seems rather obvious to me, so we'll just need to wait and see.

Guest shenshang
Well, Paul's replied to them, so either way they should have an update.zip script on their way.

I was thinking about actually making a script for myself (I don't do it that often, so mostly just do the commands by hand), and would have shared it with them, but Paul said he would give them his, so I'll just write mine and test it some time...

Interesting answer that they gave on the blog post when I mentioned in passing about how I was impressed the settings remained. IIRC, it was either me or shenshang that suggested we leave it as 'magic'. I think I have an idea about how it works, so I might have a little playing session with some files and 'circumstances' the phone might be in. It's just a hunch, but it seems rather obvious to me, so we'll just need to wait and see.

we both did lol. my 2 theories, it fetches the settings or it is sent encrypted in a text message...

we both did lol. my 2 theories, it fetches the settings or it is sent encrypted in a text message...

Well, I'm about to do a little bit of experimenting (with a backup of course :) So kids, don't try this at home! :) ) - not you shen, mainly a lurker that tries to do this and screws up their phone w/out nandroid...

Guest shenshang
Well, I'm about to do a little bit of experimenting (with a backup of course :) So kids, don't try this at home! :) ) - not you shen, mainly a lurker that tries to do this and screws up their phone w/out nandroid...

thing is, when you turn your phone on for the first time after a wipe, the loading is soooo long that you dont know what is going on, and your mobile internet is on during that period. so one must try this in a leadlined room >_>

thing is, when you turn your phone on for the first time after a wipe, the loading is soooo long that you dont know what is going on, and your mobile internet is on during that period. so one must try this in a leadlined room >_>

Well, not to give away any secrets, I'm going to take the SIM out and try it :)

genius.

Just turning on now. Intersting :) I just discovered my SIM holder wasn't snapped shut fully (slider was part of the way across). I must have been timid when I bought the phone and put it in...

It's booting up now.

EDIT1: OK. Here we go. I boot it up and don't get any warnings etc. I manually open WS and see this screen post-603522-1263482314_thumb.jpg

But I had to run it to see this, and could just tap close. Also, I had a peek at the program's data when I did this, and none of the data was filled in for me.

post-603522-1263482432_thumb.jpg

Now going to lock the phone, then try it and see if the lock remains...

Edited by pulser

Guest shenshang
Just turning on now. Intersting :) I just discovered my SIM holder wasn't snapped shut fully (slider was part of the way across). I must have been timid when I bought the phone and put it in...

It's booting up now.

i still have my rebel sim in mine, even thought my phones been unlocked XD just dont wanna lose it :)

i still have my rebel sim in mine, even thought my phones been unlocked XD just dont wanna lose it :)

Yeah. Fair enough. I actually need to get mine unlocked some time. Bump for my post above. See my findings when phone was not locked before the process (due to my own stupidity and eagerness to experiment)

Guest shenshang
Yeah. Fair enough. I actually need to get mine unlocked some time. Bump for my post above. See my findings when phone was not locked before the process (due to my own stupidity and eagerness to experiment)

it seems it must be a data fetch or an sms then :) try it again with logcat and see if any sign of sms sent or received comes on :)

Right, one step behind you, but I locked the phone and rebooted it without the SIM (after wipe). The phone booted as normal, even giving me the wee 'new install' This phone is protected by wavesecure, but no lock!

post-603522-1263482928_thumb.jpg

EDIT: I know it can't really be proven in a picture, but my phone *should* be locked in that pic, you'll just have to take my word for that as you can't really show that. Again, running it gives me the cannot connect to server error.

I'm now gonna block WS using iptables, and see what happens (with SIM in phone on reboot). That result will let us see if it is SMS or data.

I'm also thinking we should maybe trash these posts when we're done. Just to prevent future problems...

I'll try logcat when I do block it using iptables, and see as well...

Edited by pulser

Guest shenshang
Right, one step behind you, but I locked the phone and rebooted it without the SIM (after wipe). The phone booted as normal, even giving me the wee 'new install' This phone is protected by wavesecure, but no lock!

post-603522-1263482928_thumb.jpg

so the settings dont survive a wipe..

so the settings dont survive a wipe..

Well, they normally do, but I'm 'acid testing' it just now in conditions the software wouldn't normally have to put up with :)

About to block it using iptables (see above post)

Well, they normally do, but I'm 'acid testing' it just now in conditions the software wouldn't normally have to put up with :)

About to block it using iptables (see above post)

OK. Doing a logcat boot with it blocked using iptables. I've redirected the logcat output to text file (I'm using Windows, so this must count as advanced stuff :))

It's asking me for my SIM PIN now, so moment of truth. No lock as of yet (no connection still!)

OK. Doing a logcat boot with it blocked using iptables. I've redirected the logcat output to text file (I'm using Windows, so this must count as advanced stuff :) )

It's asking me for my SIM PIN now, so moment of truth. No lock as of yet (no connection still!)

And no lock! Fully booted up and browsing the web and send/receiving SMS with no lock or anything!

EDIT: Only real bit of interest in the logcat is

I/InetAddress(  225): Unknown host www.wavesecure.com, throwing UnknownHostException

I/LockUtil(  323): 06021143 - release PowerLock: DIRECTPUSH

I/ActivityManager(  123): Stopping service: com.wsandroid/.Core.BaseService

I/ActivityManager(  123): Stopping service: com.wsandroid/.Core.BaseService

Edited by pulser