Tips for a Successful ROM Flashing - i900/i908 Omnia ^^,

Guest ...angel...

Guest ...angel...

Tips for a Successful ROM Flashing - i900/i908 Omnia

How to Prevent Your Omnia's Death X_X

Hi guys! I researched and compiled these tips that I'd read in various forums in order to help our friends here in Modaco. Sorry for spamming. :)

For those who are interested to know my reason for starting this topic, here is my simple answer... I had bricked my omnia(i900) last December and it's really a nightmare. I know the feeling that's why I don't want others to experience such a "nightmare". I researched for ways on how to revive my omnia and tried every method. That's when I got to know my omnia more extensively(I should have done that before T_T). Luckily, I found someone from my country who had fixed it using jtag and he'd fixed it after some days. I hope others won't have the same problem.

Here are the tips...

1. For first time flashing, read thoroughly about the flashing procedure. ROM Flashing is not a Trial and Error Method. Follow the complete procedure.

Here are some procedures:

(see tip no.8 and 15)

2. Make sure that you turned off your PC's firewall and antivirus software and you properly installed Samsung Modem drivers.(thanks ock! ^^,)

3. Use USB 2.0 or higher.

4. Use a computer which has an uninterruptible power supply(power supply must not be interrupted during the update process). Some people prefer using a laptop with windows xp.

5. It's advisable to use .exe updater for xp but you can also try other methods like grandprix for other computer OS(but it's riskier - you must research thoroughly about this).

6. Be patient and calm. Do not panic. When you panic, there's a tendency that you will pull out the USB cable.

7. If things go bad and you had a problem While updating with official or non official updates, DO NOT DISCONNECT PHONE FROM USB and don't try to reset it. As long as you have Omnia Logo, you might be able to revive your phone by Grandprix.

8. When using grandprix: (a) be careful not to flash your phone part using the pda.bin and ( :) you must flash only compatible eboot and pda (eboot and pda must have the same version, e.g. DXIA5) otherwise, your phone will brick.

9. Do not flash while doing other things on your computer. If it hangs because of multitasking, then you have a big problem.

10. Make sure that your omnia is charged enough to complete the flashing process.(more than 60% as advised by our dear ock on the second post)

11. If the updater says that it's "job done" and your omnia stays on the boot screen for a very long time, try to flash using another updater. If it still have the same problem, try to charge your omnia and flash using another computer. If still, it doesn't work, then try grandprix.

12. The most complicated part of the update process is the downloading of eboot because it's needed in order for the computer to recognize the omnia. You have to be VERY careful not to interrupt that process.

13. When choosing a ROM, check its reliability by reading comments about it in the forum. Flash only ROMs from trustworthy uploaders.

14. Check the ROM that you've downloaded. The file must not be corrupted or else something bad will happen.

15. If you do not need to update the phone part, do not do so. As what I've read from some persons' topics, flashing only the eboot+pda has a less chance of bricking your phone.

16. Only i90x (i900/i908) Omnia can be flashed by i900 ROMs and not i9x0 (i910/i920).

17. Others prefer to hard reset omnia after flashing(to prevent some bugs)

18. Other methods which you can try if your omnia is near-to-death: :D

19. Your PC/Laptop most be as clean as possible. (if possible, free of viruses/worms which could slow down your system while updating) Never multi-task. Turn off screen saver and any shutdown defaults. Flashing takes only a couple of minutes. (Maybe 8 to 12 minutes) - from cirrus888

If others want to add some more tips (those who are more knowledgeable regarding this matter...) please feel free to post in this topic. I'll add your tips on the first post. :) Feel free to comment on this topic.

Thanks Modaco! Thanks also to our great chefs! (anzo, Bruno Adler, cruddasj, Khuanchai, Krazy Radd, Laurie, MAMBO04, Mr.Hammer, NarutoDKz, Nicklashidegard, ock, OCMan, P_Dhee, Ryrzy, sector, shokka9, Ste-V-illage, steff195, Qbus) -arranged alphabetically :)

Happy flashing my friends! :)

Edited by ...angel...

4. Use a computer which has an uninterruptible power supply(power supply must not be interrupted during the update process). Some people prefer using a laptop with windows xp.

Agree that a laptop's the safest way, especially if your power supply is not too stable. Don't forget the Samsung Modem driver.

10. Make sure that your omnia is charged enough to complete the flashing process.

Very true. Don't try flashing if battery level is lower than about 60%. I got a download error once when I forgot to keep track of my Omnia's battery level, and couldn't flash using any exe updater. Luckily, GrandPrix saved the day for me.

Just to add that it's very difficult to brick your i900 if you follow the guide by Sector and angel's tips above.

And if you are still using the default firmware, I recommend you try one of the roms on this forum - you won't regret it :) .

Guest ...angel...

Thanks for your reply sir ock! I'm so glad that a master like you is the first person to comment on my topic. You're really very helpful to our co-members. So great! :) Our chefs here are really helpful... I've included your advices to the first post. Thanks again!

Edited by ...angel...

thanks for the heads up angel :)

even after this warning im sure others will end up bricking their omnia heheh.

GB

ps. im pretty impressed at ur knowledge of ROM flashing. not many pinay's i know are into this stuff LOL

Guest ...angel...
For step #7 what is the procedure to revive the undead omnia?

Here:

Once you can get into SAMSUNG LOGO. Your phone is not bricked, and there's still a chance of getting it back.

Try this:

Disassemble your .exe updater using "Executor".

Disable your connections under Windows Mobile device center or ActiveSync:

Change your USB port. Now with the omnia TURNED OFF, plug it in.

Open Grandprix.

Select your EBOOT file

Then choose the PDA file (usually PDA.bin).

Uncheck the bootloader mode.

Click Detect.

Turn on the omnia.

thanks for the heads up angel :)

even after this warning im sure others will end up bricking their omnia heheh.

GB

ps. im pretty impressed at ur knowledge of ROM flashing. not many pinay's i know are into this stuff LOL

I hope they won't. :)

Thanks for the compliment. :) I really love to read about gadgets. I even play dota. :)

Edited by ...angel...

Guest cirrus888

Quite often the flashing process goes wrong because people don't have a proper laptop/pc set up.

Reboot your PC/Laptop first. Turn off all background programs including anti virus scanning. You don't need to be connected to the internet. don't attach any other USB devices to your Computer except your phone.

Your PC/Laptop most be as clean as possible.

Never multi-task. Turn off screen saver and any shutdown defaults.

Flashing should only take a couple of minutes. Anything longer then there is something wrong.

Guest ...angel...
Quite often the flashing process goes wrong because people don't have a proper laptop/pc set up.

Reboot your PC/Laptop first. Turn off all background programs including anti virus scanning. You don't need to be connected to the internet. don't attach any other USB devices to your Computer except your phone.

Your PC/Laptop most be as clean as possible.

Never multi-task. Turn off screen saver and any shutdown defaults.

Flashing should only take a couple of minutes. Anything longer then there is something wrong.

Nice tip! Thanks for that sir! I would include your tip on the first post. :)

Nice compilation.. life saver for someone who had bricked omnia.. Keep it going angel....!

Thanks! :) Sure! It's my pleasure to help... :)

Guest petikeke

HI guys!

Awsome guide...now I know what i must aware of when flashing... :)

I would like to flash a rom without phone part. How can I do that? Only with Gran Prix? Could you pls write it in more detailed? THX :)

Guest jms2367
HI guys!

I would like to flash a rom without phone part. How can I do that? Only with Gran Prix? Could you pls write it in more detailed? THX :)

most later roms in the forum by nick, ryzry, steff, naruto, ock, etc does not include the phone part.

Guest ...angel...
HI guys!

most later roms in the forum by nick, ryzry, steff, naruto, ock, etc does not include the phone part.

Thanks for the reply jms!:)

+ if your desired ROM(maybe if you want to use an official update or cooked ROMs of former chefs) has the phone part, disassemble it using executor then flash only the eboot+pda part using grandprix... you can search our forum for a detailed instruction on how to do that...

Well done! good to see a combination of how to and what to do if things go bad!

I have to add this page to my thread as a link!

Cheers!

Thanks sir Sb! :)

Edited by ...angel...

Guest ydlazkov

angel,

what's your advice on bricked phone part? After updating to WM6.5, my i900 would not connect to Optus network.

hope somebody could help me.

cheers

Guest ...angel...
angel,

what's your advice on bricked phone part? After updating to WM6.5, my i900 would not connect to Optus network.

cheers

How did you brick your phone?

As far as I know, elco and others who know jtag programming can repair a bricked phone part(cannot activate phone in wireless manager)

angel,

cheers

Your phone is not bricked if your only issue is connecting to the net. If it doesnt work at all then you can use it as a brick,hence the term.

What you need to do is go into settings>connections>operator settings and then pick optus.

Guest ...angel...
nice compose. nice topics. keep it up... long live angel...

Thanks sir.... I hope that our fellow omniacs :) ( specially those who are new to flashing) can read this topic before doing it. It can save their time and minimize the possibility of bricking their omnia...

Edited by ...angel...

Guest justpratik
Thanks sir.... I hope that our fellow omniacs :) ( specially those who are new to flashing) can read this topic before doing it. It can save their time and minimize the possibility of bricking their omnia...

Perfect idea. gr8

Guest ...angel...
Wowww great guide angel :)

Thanks Mr. Dhee! I'm so glad that one of my favorite chefs liked my topic.. :)

Dont u guys think it should be pinned?

Thanks! It's a very good idea... So that our friends here can read this topic before flashing... Specially those who are first-time ROM flashers... :)

Perfect idea. gr8

Thanks again! :)

Guest ...angel...

I just saw another person who had failed to flash his omnia because he did not install the samsung modem driver... X_X Please guys... take time to read the tips on the first post... so that we can avoid such situation...