arirang

arirang

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Droid
"[OS/make/model] if [HW/SW feature] was added/removed/improved"

in no particle order, and in no way complete.
1. My next phone would be an iphone if multitasking, removable storage, field-replaceable battery, recognize as USB storage were added.
2. My next phone would be a blackberry tour if browser was overhauled to be more desktop-like and not proxied to BIS.
3. My next phone would be a droid if android OS versions weren't so fragmented, and single sign-on services tied to Google Apps [mail, calendar, GV, contacts, etc] were easy to sync like WinMo's activesync+google sync
4. My next phone would be an omnia 2 if 50% of its RAM weren't already reserved/dedicated for background services.

to prevent a flame war, if a HW/SW feature [or lack thereof] is incorrect/inaccurate then pls cite your source [ie--link it].

i hope this topic will serve as an aggregation of our tech savvy and experience, and evolve as the devices/OS evolve, and help members make informed consumer decisions on these currently expensive devices.

Edited by arirang, 19 January 2010 - 09:06 PM.

Geek by Trade, Deviant by Nature
Motorola Droid [current]
Samsung Omnia i910 [prior]

wdrake_98

wdrake_98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Omnia
I have too 100% agree on the IPhone. All those reasons are EXACTLY why I haven't gotten one.
I mean...the device is just too expensive, for just 1 part to fail and your whole world is ruined.

arirang

arirang

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Android user-survey [includes features needed]. why i'll wait? OS fragmentation...device X runs version X, but cannot upgrade to version Y which is running on device Y, device Y runs version Y, but cannot upgrade to version Z running on device Z, and so on, and so on.

Edited by arirang, 14 January 2010 - 09:09 PM.

Motorola Droid [current]

arirang

arirang

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Google Nexus One complaints. why i'll wait? for me the ETF double-whammy and lack of centralized customer support [who do you call? HTC? T-Mobile? Google?]

Edited by arirang, 14 January 2010 - 09:03 PM.

Motorola Droid [current]

br91655

br91655

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Devices:Verizon Omnia i910
Tomorrow I'll be getting a new phone but I keep flopping between the Imagio, the 02, and the Droid. If Droid supported the SlingPlayer then it would be a Droid. I just haven't decided if I want the Droid enough to live without the SlingPlayer app.

big_mike_2k6

big_mike_2k6

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Droid - Omnia I910
i myself upgraded to the droid from the omnia. a phone is only good for u if it does what u need and want it to do. for some its harder because features they like might be on one phone and not another so it makes things a little tougher. as for me the droid is just what i want it to be but for others its not.

Posted Image

Lisbian08

Lisbian08

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia i910

i myself upgraded to the droid from the omnia. a phone is only good for u if it does what u need and want it to do. for some its harder because features they like might be on one phone and not another so it makes things a little tougher. as for me the droid is just what i want it to be but for others its not.

What did you like about the Droid vs the Omnia?

TheDrizzle

TheDrizzle

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
I just picked up a used Droid Eris on ebay. I don't know if the digitizer went out on my Omnia, but the touch screen was pretty miserable to use, especially compared to the iPhone. But I am not ditching Verizon, so thats off the table for me. I was considering holding out for the Palm Pre (out on VZW in about 2 weeks) but decided on Android instead. Anyway, I can always do the ebay shuffle again and get something else down the line if I dislike the Eris.

arirang

arirang

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

I just picked up a used Droid Eris on ebay. I don't know if the digitizer went out on my Omnia, but the touch screen was pretty miserable to use, especially compared to the iPhone. But I am not ditching Verizon, so thats off the table for me. I was considering holding out for the Palm Pre (out on VZW in about 2 weeks) but decided on Android instead. Anyway, I can always do the ebay shuffle again and get something else down the line if I dislike the Eris.

to stay on topic--best effort, at least--what swayed you from the Palm Pre? cold-hard facts and specs are always appreciated :)

Edited by arirang, 14 January 2010 - 10:50 PM.

Motorola Droid [current]

TheDrizzle

TheDrizzle

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

to stay on topic--best effort, at least--what swayed you from the Palm Pre? cold-hard facts and specs are always appreciated :)

Well to be totally honest it was a combination of impatience and miscalculation. Since I saw the Pre, I always thought it was neat device, and I was excited to hear last week that it was coming to Verizon. So I listed my Omnia on ebay and activated an old Moto Q to use a temporary phone until the Pre was released. Well after my Omnia sold, the old Q stopped making and receiving calls! So I was left with no phone, and I could not live another 3 weeks plus with no phone! The Eris was my top choice BEFORE the Pre was coming to Verizon, so I decided to just get one on eBay and be done with it. Anyway, if I don't end up liking the Eris, I can always sell it back on ebay, or get the Pre when my ne2 upgrade comes in September...

big_mike_2k6

big_mike_2k6

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

What did you like about the Droid vs the Omnia?

The speed of the phone is a huge difference and now I'm not constantly worrying about memory issues. I loved my omnia for the year I had it and I was worried about switching from windows since it was what I knew but I wanted to try something new and I'm glad I did

Posted Image

arirang

arirang

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Well to be totally honest it was a combination of impatience and miscalculation. Since I saw the Pre, I always thought it was neat device, and I was excited to hear last week that it was coming to Verizon. So I listed my Omnia on ebay and activated an old Moto Q to use a temporary phone until the Pre was released. Well after my Omnia sold, the old Q stopped making and receiving calls! So I was left with no phone, and I could not live another 3 weeks plus with no phone! The Eris was my top choice BEFORE the Pre was coming to Verizon, so I decided to just get one on eBay and be done with it. Anyway, if I don't end up liking the Eris, I can always sell it back on ebay, or get the Pre when my ne2 upgrade comes in September...

the eris is a good choice but simply didnt get as much an ad-blitz as the droid. it would be on my shortlist too.

Motorola Droid [current]

Lisbian08

Lisbian08

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia i910
The big drawback on the Droid Eris for me is the screen. I am not sure why HTC went with the 320x480 screen vice the 480x800 screen on the Imagio. I would like to have the Imagio with Android...lol.

big_mike_2k6

big_mike_2k6

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
I Wanted the imagio but with the memory running at 70 to 80 percent with nothing running threw me off. Had me highly dissapointed

Posted Image

rfarrah

rfarrah

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Devices:HTC Incredible
I was looking at phones today and I still have yet to find anything I think
I'd like better than my O1. Blackberry is out because I don't want everything (EVERYTHING!) funneled through Blackberry's servers. Android is still in its infancy. Even if it does look good, and does pretty things, it still has a way to go before it gets as user-friendly (read update-able, customizable) as WM. Palm Pre and it's OS was pretty impressive a year ago, but they've taken way too long to move forward - progress on that entire front seems very, very slow. Besides, the keyboard keys were just too small.

So, I sit here with my O1 and see nothing better out there. I like updating my ROM to the latest and fastest at a whim. My 5.0 MP camera with flash is still near the top of the competition's specs. GPS and phone work great and I can make it look and work almost any way I want. Free apps are easy to find. I can upgrade in less than 4 months, but I have yet to see a better phone out there....at least for now. :)

arirang

arirang

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

I was looking at phones today and I still have yet to find anything I think
I'd like better than my O1. Blackberry is out because I don't want everything (EVERYTHING!) funneled through Blackberry's servers. Android is still in its infancy. Even if it does look good, and does pretty things, it still has a way to go before it gets as user-friendly (read update-able, customizable) as WM. Palm Pre and it's OS was pretty impressive a year ago, but they've taken way too long to move forward - progress on that entire front seems very, very slow. Besides, the keyboard keys were just too small.

So, I sit here with my O1 and see nothing better out there. I like updating my ROM to the latest and fastest at a whim. My 5.0 MP camera with flash is still near the top of the competition's specs. GPS and phone work great and I can make it look and work almost any way I want. Free apps are easy to find. I can upgrade in less than 4 months, but I have yet to see a better phone out there....at least for now. :)

i agree the omnia I is still a peer even in the class of 2010 :) however; inevitably, it too will need to be replaced. so i ask you and in general, if it weren't for the BB heavy reliance on proxy servers would you then consider a BB?

Edited by arirang, 15 January 2010 - 03:48 AM.

Motorola Droid [current]

jmart518

jmart518

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Devices:HTC Imagio

I Wanted the imagio but with the memory running at 70 to 80 percent with nothing running threw me off. Had me highly dissapointed

I actually just jumped the omnia ship (well sort of, gave the omnia to my wife so I can still cook roms and play with it) and got the Imagio. It is a great phone, however it is a memory hog. There are a lot of fixes for it now to help the memory and mine constantly hangs around 60%. It also has great eye candy (TF3D)! Things will get a lot better once it gets unlocked and the flashing begins!

ROM: Teya 1.7.0 [29017]
Sense: 2.5.2021 CHT 2.0.0

Posted Image

big_mike_2k6

big_mike_2k6

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
I'm glad a fix for the memory issues was found cuz the imagio is a great looking phone with tf3d. I seen some people saying to disable tf3d as a memory fix yea it helps but what's the point of having the beauty of tf3d if u can't run it because of of a memory leak. So its good to see you have yours running nice

Edited by big_mike_2k6, 15 January 2010 - 05:39 AM.

Posted Image

DEValken

DEValken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:i910
I'm not too concerned with the eye-candy, my biggest concern is the "all-in-oneness" factor. I can upgrade in 4 months, but like above, can't see anything to take the place of my 910.

Had you asked me this question before I found this site (and the chefs here) I would have picked the droid.

Had you asked before I read about the 50% mem loss on the O2- easy question.

But right now I think I will stay with what I have. I simply LOVE that fact I can grab my phone and do pretty much whatever I want to it. Or take it on the road and have my email, edit excel docs, listen to my 1000+ songs, find my way with iGO, create a wifi access point, edit databases, listen to Sirius, take great photos, watch movies, stream TV, and, ummmm...

Oh yeah- make a phone call!!!

And because I live in the sticks, (you pass bumf**k before you get here) Verizon is the only carrier with 3G coverage out here, so no ATT or Tmob. When VZ put a tower up out here at the request of emergency services, the locals actually had a RIBBON CUTTING CEREMONY! That's right, with lawn chairs and picnic baskets. Gotta luv it...

arirang

arirang

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
a stylus for a touch-friendly, capacitive screen-empowered GUI? heresay! and for $28? all your money belong to us! however, let's face reality, a stylus is handy from handwriting recognition to poking around, and many will buy it AND love it, then LOSE it. a capacitive-equipped phone with an INTEGRATED stylus would catch my attention. until then, i'll stick with resistive and use my nails--i carry 10 with me at all time.

Edited by arirang, 15 January 2010 - 09:09 PM.

Motorola Droid [current]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users