Picasa Google Sync Error

Guest Nanu*1

Hi, since day one my Picasa Sync has failed giving the error 'sync is currently experiencing problems. it will be back shortly'

I am wondering who else is experiencing this problem, and whether it is a UK specific problem or limited to those who have lots of photos in Picasa?

cheers

Nanu

I have just registered an American Gmail account and uploaded some photos to it and it syncs with the Nexus perfectly, so it appears to just be an issue with UK Google accounts, I may just use this new account for my favourite photos as I'm not sure how the sync will handle my 17GB of photos on the N1

Guest Mantisen
I have just registered an American Gmail account and uploaded some photos to it and it syncs with the Nexus perfectly, so it appears to just be an issue with UK Google accounts, I may just use this new account for my favourite photos as I'm not sure how the sync will handle my 17GB of photos on the N1

Well I have a Swedish Gmail account and my sync works fine, perhaps it's just the 17GB that ruins your sync? :S

Well I have a Swedish Gmail account and my sync works fine, perhaps it's just the 17GB that ruins your sync? :S

Just done a Google search and it isn't just specific to me there are lots of UK users with the same issue, that's not to say that those users don't have masses of photos too!

Guest Mantisen
Just done a Google search and it isn't just specific to me there are lots of UK users with the same issue, that's not to say that those users don't have masses of photos too!

Think it's quite odd though (if it is due to having loads of photos) that Google haven't thought about testing how much it could sync and put it down in text like "Caution, Picasa sync only sync up to xxx GB" or something.

Think it's quite odd though (if it is due to having loads of photos) that Google haven't thought about testing how much it could sync and put it down in text like "Caution, Picasa sync only sync up to xxx GB" or something.

Exactly, and I can't find where the pics are being stored on the device, (not sure if anyone else can point out where) and it probably only fetches enough data for them to look good on the Android screen??

Guest Chris Jenx
Exactly, and I can't find where the pics are being stored on the device, (not sure if anyone else can point out where) and it probably only fetches enough data for them to look good on the Android screen??

I thought its cloud like, so as you said it think it will grab thumb nails that fit on the screen, but if you go to look at photos it will stream it from there server. but I'm not 100% on that.

I have a 'Google Hosted Apps' account, and it doesn't give me the Picasa option. I also have a Google account in the same e-mail address, so it's probably confused...

P

I have about 850 Mb of photos in Picasa and can't sync either. And I also live in UK so, I recon is a UK only issue.... :)

Seems like we have the same issue in Germany.

As I've heard in Germany its because theres no real "gmail.com" adressess because of some trademark s*** so we just have "googlemail.com" addresses.

would be nice if google would fix this asap or if there'd be an workaround :)

Edited by feelx

Seems like we have the same issue in Germany.

As I've heard in Germany its because theres no real "gmail.com" adressess because of some trademark s*** so we just have "googlemail.com" addresses.

would be nice if google would fix this asap or if there'd be an workaround :)

I have the "register an American GMail account just for Picasa" workaround running at the mo and its brill! :-)

I have the "register an American GMail account just for Picasa" workaround running at the mo and its brill! :-)

Yup can confirm the same here, working brill on a gmail.com account that i have :)

yeh but in my opinion this is not really a fix/workaround since u cant use ur old gmail account :/

hope somebody fixes this soon or releases a workaround which works with ur original acc

Edited by feelx

Guest Shuflie
yeh but in my opinion this is not really a fix/workaround since u cant use ur old gmail account :/

hope somebody fixes this soon or releases a workaround which works with ur original acc

Why can't you use your old Gmail account? You can set up a few Gmail syncs on the same phone, I have my reqular googlemail.com account set up, and also have push email coming in from my sky.com account (which is powered by Google). I think I've read somewhere that you can link up go five accounts on the phone, would be a bit of a pain if you swap SIMs much as it asks for each password everytime it detects a different SIM.

It is a WORKAROUND as it works around the fact that you cannot use your existing GMail account, on the other hand it isn't a FIX as it doesn't fix the issue of your original account not syncing.

It actually suits me just fine as I'm gonna keep my original account for storage and just sync the photos I would like displayed on my phone in my new account, I can also keep private photos off the phone too.

:-)

Why can't you use your old Gmail account? You can set up a few Gmail syncs on the same phone, I have my reqular googlemail.com account set up, and also have push email coming in from my sky.com account (which is powered by Google). I think I've read somewhere that you can link up go five accounts on the phone, would be a bit of a pain if you swap SIMs much as it asks for each password everytime it detects a different SIM.

all my photos are on my old googlemail.com acc so making a new gmail.com acc seems useless for me :)

seems like i just have to wait for an official fix .

all my photos are on my old googlemail.com acc so making a new gmail.com acc seems useless for me :)

seems like i just have to wait for an official fix .

Do you not use Picasa as an app on your PC?

Guest La Traviata

I don't use Picasa and I don't have a Nexus, so I can't check if this works, but when I set up Gmail synch on my phone I noticed that it didn't seem to matter that I entered @gmail.com instead of @googlemail.com. It still synchs with my account and delivers my emails. People can also send me email using @gmail.com instead of @googlemail.com. Perhaps this would also work for Picasa?

I don't use Picasa and I don't have a Nexus, so I can't check if this works, but when I set up Gmail synch on my phone I noticed that it didn't seem to matter that I entered @gmail.com instead of @googlemail.com. It still synchs with my account and delivers my emails. People can also send me email using @gmail.com instead of @googlemail.com. Perhaps this would also work for Picasa?

Doesn't make a difference as Google knows by the tomsmith@ whether you hold a gmail or googlemail account, I have tried just tomsmith, [email protected] and [email protected] and it still doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't make a difference as Google knows by the tomsmith@ whether you hold a gmail or googlemail account, I have tried just tomsmith, [email protected] and [email protected] and it still doesn't work.

lol you're a genius ;)

its about what the accounts address was when registred, and all accounts registred in germany are "googlemail.com"

whatever YOU write behind that is your problem but google still treats it as a "googlemail.com" account and not "gmail.com" accunt

hope this gets fixed soon, got so many pictures in my german google account :D

lol you're a genius ;)

its about what the accounts address was when registred, and all accounts registred in germany are "googlemail.com"

whatever YOU write behind that is your problem but google still treats it as a "googlemail.com" account and not "gmail.com" accunt

hope this gets fixed soon, got so many pictures in my german google account :D

Yes Genius and the 'TomSmith' bit is how Google knows where the address was registered, I am fully aware that all accounts outside of the US are Googlemail.com and not Gmail.com, why do you think I registered a Googlemail.com using an American IP address to utilise Picasa sync?? Pure guesswork??

LoL Genius ;-)

Guest Shuflie
I have a 'Google Hosted Apps' account, and it doesn't give me the Picasa option. I also have a Google account in the same e-mail address, so it's probably confused...

P

You need to have an actual gmail account associated with your google apps account too. A workaround has been posted on the google support forum here.

If you are using a googlemail.com email address and want google to fix picasa sync for rest of the world users then click here and star this bug tracker. Star it even if you're not want to sync picasa, just on principle ;)

Edited by Shuflie

• 2 months later...
Guest stevenz

I'm using MCR and my Picasa photos show up in Gallery just fine. I've probably got about 100ish photos in there, there's no way it's pulling anything down other than thumbnails until the image is viewed otherwise my 3G traffic would have done berserk.

The option isn't there in the Cyanogen ROM from memory though.