MSI U100 Wind + iDeneb 1.5.1 (10.5.7)

Guest markjs

OK so this is my first post here and a very odd situation I think. I came here because I almost never get any answers or help on Insanely Mac's forums.

In any case I have a Wind that belongs to the young daughter of a good friend, but some genius (read; idiot), put a password on the BIOS so nobody would mess things up. The password allows zero access to the BIOS and as far as I know there is no way to get past it, and I have tried! Inevitably, XP got totally screwed (good as it is, for a Micro$oft product, this is what M$ OSs do best). So rather than fool around with XP so it can get screwed up again in short order, so what I did was connect the hard drive from the Wind to my Dell Mini 9, as I figured the hardware might be compatible enough to make it work. It took MANY reinstalls but I finally got it, almost everything working, including the WiFi, yet when I go to reboot it always gives that crash screen that says I have to reboot now. I used the option for the wind in the setup, but fearing that I still had to use the drivers and select them I did that too. I took all the Realtek LAN drivers because I have had a hell of a time getting info on which one is needed. Then I also took intel GMA950, and Azalia audio.

So then after that, I used this patch for the video to get the proper resolution, and this Ralink driver to make the WiFi work, and then I have every time not been able to get a re-boot! All I have been able to do is do a -x and get in. before it goes in it says that the hibernate image is too old and I have to do a =y whatever that means. This is what I get on every re-boot and I am completely lost.

I must warn you I am a Windows PC genius level user who feels absolutely retarded when I try to "think different" and has a small bit of trouble dealing with Ubuntu, but I am learning. I find Ubuntu MUCH easier than OS X though, where I really am baffled! So please treat me like the novice I am and go easy. :)

I just really want to make the little girl happy so she can once again use her cool pink netbook and use an OS that isn't likely to get screwed just because the user is not a novice! Thanks in advance for any help you can manage.

I need to clarify something that for some reason it seems is hard to understand to some folks from my original posting. The BIOS password is a permanent block so far as I know but it only blocks the boot menu and changes to the BIOS itself, thus it will ONLY boot the it's hard drive, and thus I have to install any OS using the drive in another machine.

Edited by markjs