Photo

Bricked Samsung Omnia i910... (UPDATED 3/14/2010)

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

2 Bunny

2 Bunny

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Devices:Omnia i910

Well, if you had read my long emotional speech, you would've seen that I really bricked it this time:

http://www.modaco.co...o...t&p=1170027

Anyway, if you or anyone else know any useful tips for JTAG flashing, that would be most helpful. That is my only option now, other than to consider the thing a brick.

- 2 Bunny

Newly added thought: Since I am very new to the world of JTAG flashing and such if I choose to go that route, I found roughly, that I need two items (correct me if I am wrong): A JTAG adapter unit that mounts onto the music player itself, and a JTAG to usb adapter. I am confused about both. For the first item, the adapter, I need one that just has the pins sticking up so that I can plug a JTAG cable into it, right? Like this perhaps: http://www.multi-com...categories.html And next, what has me confused, is why do all the JTAG to USB adapters vary in price so much? I've seen them well into the hundreds, but I've also seen this more cost effective one for only 26.95: http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item53df59b8bd Would someone kindly tell me perhaps what there is to learn here as far as the needed supplies if I were to go the repairs route? Thanks!

Bump, and another thought, could I do a motherboard transplant instead if I could find a wrecked omnia cheap enough? Maybe just find one with a broken screen, or something else that I could just replace with parts from my current one.

Next question: Does anyone have an Omnia i910 Motherboard that they could sell to me, or perhaps a unit with a working motherboard? :)

- 2 Bunny

Edited by 2 Bunny, 30 January 2010 - 02:20 AM.

2 Bunny

2 Bunny

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Well, I think I am going to go the route of the eBay item I put in my post, and find out which way the pinout goes. This one, that is:
http://www.support.m...nia_details.jpg I won't embed it, because the picture is too big for the thread. I just don't know which way the jtag connector is. Is it from the front or back? The cable is symmetrical, so you can't tell. I'm sure it is really quite obvious, but I don't usually have to follow wiring diagrams. I have a friend who can help me out with that.

I assume that the "silence of the community" on this one means either that I have not given enough time for a reply, or you guys agree with me. Either that, or nobody knows about it. That would make me a "pioneer of the community". Hurray! Chef excellence says it is excellent... (YouTube it, it is a funny joke).

Any comments or suggestions are welcome as usual to make me feel less like I am "stumbling in the dark". I have since the last post seen a Parallel port variety of the JTAG adapter, and I was just wondering if perhaps the "omnia repair tool" program Windows Application was compatible with Parallel ports adapters also. Otherwise, I'll just get the USB one to be safe.

- 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

2 Bunny

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Well, I think I am going to go the route of the eBay item I put in my post, and find out which way the pinout goes. This one, that is:
http://www.support.m...nia_details.jpg I won't embed it, because the picture is too big for the thread. I just don't know which way the jtag connector is. Is it from the front or back? The cable is symmetrical, so you can't tell. I'm sure it is really quite obvious, but I don't usually have to follow wiring diagrams. I have a friend who can help me out with that.

I assume that the "silence of the community" on this one means either that I have not given enough time for a reply, or you guys agree with me. Either that, or nobody knows about it. That would make me a "pioneer of the community". Hurray! Chef excellence says it is excellent... (YouTube it, it is a funny joke).

Any comments or suggestions are welcome as usual to make me feel less like I am "stumbling in the dark". I have since the last post seen a Parallel port variety of the JTAG adapter, and I was just wondering if perhaps the "omnia repair tool" program Windows Application was compatible with Parallel ports adapters also. Otherwise, I'll just get the USB one to be safe.

- 2 Bunny

All right. So I went and actually looked up a pinout, and the cheap usb adapter I had highlighted before (the eBay one) has all the pins that are needed. My next question would be software. What software is needed to repair this? I was thinking of using the "Omnia Repair Tool Program", but I'm not sure if that will work. If not, are there alternate apps available? When I tried opening the program now, I got a message about it being a virus, so I used this one site where you can upload the file, and it will use many different programs to scan it, and about five of the forty plus scanners on the list found something suspicious, but only AVG detected it as Win32.CryptExe Does anyone know if the version from the official site does that? Oh, the supposedly infected file is the xscale_emulator.dll file.

Hope you guys can help me find some software to work with the tools that I will be ordering...

Thanks for all your help.

- 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

2 Bunny

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
All right, my fellows of the community, here is another new update to the situation:

I have finally taken a proper look at the pinout (the text description of each pin, not just the picture) and asked a friend to confirm my woes, and have now ordered a JTAG tool. He will be further assisting me in the fine art of separating the ribbon cable and soddering each and every one onto their appropriate places on the board. I will then be trying several pieces of software to flash the bootloader back. I'll be trying the omnia repair tool software, the old version of the ort software, and the OneNand flash utility.

If anyone has any handy hints, comments, or anything, by all means post. The adapter should be arriving on monday, which means I will most likely be working out a repair that evening. If this works, it will be a huge breakthrough in the community for this particular music player, and being able to repair it for under twenty six dollars (if you have a soddering machine and skill to use it).

Thanks for all your help, dear community!

- 2 Bunny

rfarrah

rfarrah

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Devices:HTC Incredible

All right, my fellows of the community, here is another new update to the situation:

I have finally taken a proper look at the pinout (the text description of each pin, not just the picture) and asked a friend to confirm my woes, and have now ordered a JTAG tool. He will be further assisting me in the fine art of separating the ribbon cable and soddering each and every one onto their appropriate places on the board. I will then be trying several pieces of software to flash the bootloader back. I'll be trying the omnia repair tool software, the old version of the ort software, and the OneNand flash utility.

If anyone has any handy hints, comments, or anything, by all means post. The adapter should be arriving on monday, which means I will most likely be working out a repair that evening. If this works, it will be a huge breakthrough in the community for this particular music player, and being able to repair it for under twenty six dollars (if you have a soddering machine and skill to use it).

Thanks for all your help, dear community!

- 2 Bunny

2 Bunny, I think you're out there on the really bleeding edge. You're the pioneer! Good luck and let us know how you do.

2 Bunny

2 Bunny

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

2 Bunny, I think you're out there on the really bleeding edge. You're the pioneer! Good luck and let us know how you do.

Well, I've got everything hooked up. The driver supplied in the package is not correctly functioning, but the one that came on the CD with the adapter is.

Does anyone know why I am still getting a JTAG connection error?

- 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

2 Bunny

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Well, I'll tell you what: It has been quite a "journey" to fix this music player. Currently, I still have a JTAG connection error, but I think it all boils down to a driver issue. I need to adjust the driver config file so that Windows will recognize it with my JTAG adapter.

Any suggestions?

And if not, does anyone have the proper capabilities to repair the machine? Could it be done for under twenty dollars plus shipping perhaps?
That is right, I might pay to get this fixed. Twenty is on the high end, fifteen or ten would be doable as well. See, I got the thing used from someone who didn't know how to use their music player. He or She lost basically everything but the battery and the player itself - no joke (Well, I guess he or she left the battery door). I dumped down some money right away and got a USB cable and 3.5 millimeter headphone adapter. Then, on day one (as described earlier in the thread) failed at flashing the firmware, tried again on a USB 1 (as opposed to usb 2) laptop which flashed successfully (or so the screen said) and then just left me with the red light of death. Bought a USB JTAG adapter for 26 dollars, had a friend work for hours to get the JTAG ribbon cable itself split apart and actually mounted on all the tiny pins. Now, I would hate for this friend's efforts to be wasted, so does anyone have the capabilities to repair this OR does anyone know what needs to be done to the Omnia Repair Tool Program driver to make it work with this? Thanks.

- 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

2 Bunny

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Well, I'll tell you what: It has been quite a "journey" to fix this music player. Currently, I still have a JTAG connection error, but I think it all boils down to a driver issue. I need to adjust the driver config file so that Windows will recognize it with my JTAG adapter.

Any suggestions?

And if not, does anyone have the proper capabilities to repair the machine? Could it be done for under twenty dollars plus shipping perhaps?
That is right, I might pay to get this fixed. Twenty is on the high end, fifteen or ten would be doable as well. See, I got the thing used from someone who didn't know how to use their music player. He or She lost basically everything but the battery and the player itself - no joke (Well, I guess he or she left the battery door). I dumped down some money right away and got a USB cable and 3.5 millimeter headphone adapter. Then, on day one (as described earlier in the thread) failed at flashing the firmware, tried again on a USB 1 (as opposed to usb 2) laptop which flashed successfully (or so the screen said) and then just left me with the red light of death. Bought a USB JTAG adapter for 26 dollars, had a friend work for hours to get the JTAG ribbon cable itself split apart and actually mounted on all the tiny pins. Now, I would hate for this friend's efforts to be wasted, so does anyone have the capabilities to repair this OR does anyone know what needs to be done to the Omnia Repair Tool Program driver to make it work with this? Thanks.

- 2 Bunny

Well, I've pretty much given up on this repair. What I am looking for now, is a person who could repair this cheaply, either with the current machine, or with a different one. The thing is, I would send it to you with the current machine attached. If you want to repair it with that machine, go for it. If not, you'll have to detach it. But you can keep the current JTAG USB adapter if I can get a slight break in the cost.

Thanks for all the help here from the community. I've already had someone contact me on it, but I think he has lost my email, so the repair is still up for grabs.

- 2 Bunny

rfarrah

rfarrah

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Well, I've pretty much given up on this repair. What I am looking for now, is a person who could repair this cheaply, either with the current machine, or with a different one. The thing is, I would send it to you with the current machine attached. If you want to repair it with that machine, go for it. If not, you'll have to detach it. But you can keep the current JTAG USB adapter if I can get a slight break in the cost.

Thanks for all the help here from the community. I've already had someone contact me on it, but I think he has lost my email, so the repair is still up for grabs.

- 2 Bunny

I'd do it for free, if I knew how. Hopefully someone around here knows about the hardware side of this issue. Good luck!

necosino

necosino

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Twitter:@NecoSino
As far as I know, JTAG only ever worked on the i900. Maybe try to see if you can get an i900 driver to load and recognize your phone and then see if JTAG will do anything for you.

Buy me a drink if I helped you out. :)
Posted Image

2 Bunny

2 Bunny

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

As far as I know, JTAG only ever worked on the i900. Maybe try to see if you can get an i900 driver to load and recognize your phone and then see if JTAG will do anything for you.

Not necessarily; the Omnia Repair Tool Program's application has a button for "repair i900" and "repair i910", even though the old ones don't.

Anything new here in the community?

Would anyone perhaps want to buy it?

- 2 Bunny

Edited by 2 Bunny, 20 February 2010 - 07:27 PM.

wingnut_2u

wingnut_2u

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i910
by any means don't give up. you are on the right path.

2 Bunny

2 Bunny

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

by any means don't give up. you are on the right path.

Oh yes, I know. It is just a matter of getting the program to work with the drivers, and that comes to a point where doing more than just simple stuff will work, I believe. I think this would mean modifying the program/driver in some way to make it work - something I am completely unable to do on my own without the aid of someone from the community.

Thanks for your support though, and let anyone who has experience with this know about this thread because I am fairly confident that this is a groundbreaking development if this can be made to work. :(

- 2 Bunny

wingnut_2u

wingnut_2u

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i910

Oh yes, I know. It is just a matter of getting the program to work with the drivers, and that comes to a point where doing more than just simple stuff will work, I believe. I think this would mean modifying the program/driver in some way to make it work - something I am completely unable to do on my own without the aid of someone from the community.

Thanks for your support though, and let anyone who has experience with this know about this thread because I am fairly confident that this is a groundbreaking development if this can be made to work. :(

- 2 Bunny

the thing is the hardware alone will cost you about $450.00 usd (this you probably found out) and you still have to get your hands on the boot 0-9 code to program the bootloader. Unless you have a device repair shop that you can charge for the repairs it's not worth it.
You can pick up a fairly new omnia sch-i910 on craigs list from free to $150.00. I got one for my wife for 25 and programed it for cricket and paid the 15 transfer fee.
I myself have bricked on omnia with the first firmware that was leaked trying to fix the gps. Sad to say it had the red lite of death.

I give you applause for your efforts. If you can find enough people to trust you with their dead omnias to fix that would offset the cost of your flash equipment it would be worth it for sure.
remember knowledge is power NEVER stop learning!

peace :(

Edited by wingnut_2u, 26 February 2010 - 07:30 PM.

2 Bunny

2 Bunny

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

the thing is the hardware alone will cost you about $450.00 usd (this you probably found out) and you still have to get your hands on the boot 0-9 code to program the bootloader. Unless you have a device repair shop that you can charge for the repairs it's not worth it.
You can pick up a fairly new omnia sch-i910 on craigs list from free to $150.00. I got one for my wife for 25 and programed it for cricket and paid the 15 transfer fee.
I myself have bricked on omnia with the first firmware that was leaked trying to fix the gps. Sad to say it had the red lite of death.

I give you applause for your efforts. If you can find enough people to trust you with their dead omnias to fix that would offset the cost of your flash equipment it would be worth it for sure.
remember knowledge is power NEVER stop learning!

peace :(

I already have a cheap alternative to the 300 dollar repair tool hardware.

Perhaps someone would be willing to repair it as a service.

- 2 Bunny

cac2us

cac2us

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Devices:VZW Omnia
Hey 2 Bunny,
I don't remember reading through your saga if you had tried this, but I found this in the i900 thread.

http://www.modaco.co...o...t&p=1140211

Read the whole thread and try the solution from BottleNeck in post #9, It seemed to work for systurmack...

Edited by cac2us, 03 March 2010 - 11:13 AM.

mohrdj

mohrdj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

of course you have updated to cfo3 ???
:( :(

2 Bunny

2 Bunny

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Hey 2 Bunny,
I don't remember reading through your saga if you had tried this, but I found this in the i900 thread.

http://www.modaco.co...o...t&p=1140211

Read the whole thread and try the solution from BottleNeck in post #9, It seemed to work for systurmack...

Sorry guys, you're about two months late on those replies. I need info for a JTAG repair. The device is bricked.

- 2 Bunny

NexusX

NexusX

Troublemaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Devices:x

This was what I was looking for ....try this..
<_< :mellow:

It might not have worked for Bunny but I owe you one kdkinc!

2 Bunny

2 Bunny

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

It might not have worked for Bunny but I owe you one kdkinc!

Haha! Glad my thread here helped someone at least. <_<

As for the JTAG issue, the community has been a bit quiet lately. Any new findings?

- 2 Bunny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users