or even help me set it up to sync with some screenshot of where to press, or how to turn the usb hard drive option back on
You've got a Touch Diamond...why are you posting in the "WM Standard (non Touchscreen)" forum
probably would've gotten more help if you'd posted in the Diamond forum
Oh well, here's what you need to do.....
1. Download MyMobiler from www.mymobiler.com - get the "setup" version.
2. Install MyMobiler on your Windows PC; as part of the installation, it installs the remote component on your phone; you may need to hit the screen where the left soft key is, just to accept the "this program comes from an untrusted publisher...." bit. (The left soft key "accepts" the installation).
3. Once MyMobiler is installed, you should have an icon in your system tray that looks (a little) like a phone - it'll either be blue, in which case you should be able to see your phone's screen on your desktop....or it'll be grey, in which case you need to double-click it to connect to your phone...then you'll see your phone's screen on your desktop.
4. Once you've got MyMobiler working, get PPCPimBackup from www.dotfred.net and use ActiveSync to copy it to your phone - it doesn't need installing, just copy it to your phone, go back to MyMobiler and use that to load File Explorer to locate PPCPimBackup and execute it.
5. Use PPCPimBackup to backup contacts, SMS messages, calls logs, etc... as you require. It will create a backup file on your phone/memory card (you specify the name/location as part of the backup procedure), you can then copy the backup file to your PC for safe keeping. You may also want to copy any other files/documents/pictures etc. off your phone and onto your PC, if you haven't already done so!!
I think that procedure should work for you....post back with success or failure