Not a clue!!!

Guest woodsy76

Guest woodsy76

First of all let me say hello to all, experts and none experts (I fall into the latter category!). Stumbled across the site yesterday and found it very helpful and resourceful. But I feel I need to start a new post for myself as I don't understand the others.

I've had the HTC hero for about 2 months now, love it. I know its capable of so much but I cant get my head around where to start. I should also mention that I'm a mac user and work on an imac with OSX 10.5.7 running.

For starters, I've been told about installing a rom update that will make the hero faster? and enable me to do so much more? but I cant get it to work with my mac. Is there a way around this?

This is my first question, I'll have plenty more :)

Any help or general tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks people.

I wish I didn't get so wound up by technology!

Guest chucky.egg

What does "I cant get it to work with my mac" mean?

There are links and notes on custom ROMs

For the complete newbies, these are the steps you need to take with a 'virgin' Hero:

- Download the patched recovery image linked above and install as detailed in that post

- Download this custom ROM, and copy it to your SD card

- Enter the recovery image (if you're not in it already) by powering on while pressing 'home'

- Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup

- If you copied the custom rom as update.zip, select 'apply sdcard:update.zip', else select the option below.

- all done

Guest woodsy76

I just meant that whenever I connect my phone to my mac it appears on the desk top as an external drive as normal, but there are no folders or any indication of where to put things inside it, also how can I run the ROM update if I can't open/install the download because its a PC file?

will check the above links out, (they'll work on a mac?).

thanks for your help.

Guest woodsy76

I've Downloaded the patched recovery image from http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...on-your-device/

I now have a folder on my desktop called 1.2-hero-recovery

but for the life of me I don't understand this bit:

- open a command prompt to the directory containing the extracted files

- type the following commands appropriate to your device

I've opened the 'Terminal' for a command prompt but dont know how to put that in the required folder? what happens to the '1.2-hero-recovery' folder? does this then get copied to the phone along with the custom ROM (where is that also?).

I am s***, sorry to be a pain. Its like a foreign language to me.

Thanks.

Guest woodsy76

I sorted out the command prompt, pasted in the required text, hit return...

error. application not found

I've got my hero connected to my mac, but its showing on the desktop as No-Name.

anyone want to buy a second hand hero?

Guest woodsy76

Can anyone explain this part to me please.

I'm following the instructions from chucky.egg (above) and have downloaded the patched recovery image. I now have a folder on my desktop called 1.2-hero-recovery with all the goodies needed. I can run the command prompt as stated, to the folder in question, the next part says...

"Now if you pull the battery and turn on the device while holding down 'home', you should get the patched recovery image."

I don't get this part!

should the phone already be: a)connected to the mac and switched on, or b)do I switch it on holding home button once i've done the command prompt?

My main question is, how does the command prompt to a folder on my desktop affect the phone?

thanks again

Guest woodsy76

andy, you're a legend.

Don't know why, but I couldn't get the Linda file to install the apk at first. Sorted it eventually, and the rest was easy : )

One last thing, now I've rooted and booted and put the new rom on my hero, what are the main benefits or will I just notice an improvement in speed and new apps?

thanks again.

Guest andy-hooks

Congrats on getting it sorted. Which rom did you put on? If you used modaco rom and want apps2sd to work then you will need to partition your memory card. Dependiing on what rom you used you should be able to remove stock apps you dont use like the stockshare app or the twitter if you dont use it. Anyways let me know if you need any more help like partioning the memory card or anything else

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Croptop
how about following this tutorial Visit My Website

I'm trying to unlock my stock Telus Hero by following the instructions you linked to above. I got as far as trying to run Backup Recovery Image (step 10 on your page) but I just get "Backup FAILED: Could not run command". I've tried both the 1.1.2 and the 1.1.3 versions of flashrec to no avail.

Does my Hero have to be unlocked before I can root it or should I be able to follow these procedures even though I'm still locked to a Telus SIM?