Initial ROM testing: Files removed from 21863 ROM

Guest Radioman96p71

Guest Radioman96p71
Radioman thanks for the ROM! how do i get titanium? is there a cab that i can install?

I removed Titanium because, frankly, ive never used it. I'm not that good at making CABs out of OEMs so my only idea is let me cook one up with Titanium included or wait till someone more competent in that area makes a CAB. I'm working on my "slightly more loaded" ROM that has things like SPB MoileShell, fdcSoft TaskManager, Google Maps, Advanced Config 3.3, MH Widgets, Internet Sharing, Voice Command 1.6, Opera 10 beta2u, and some other handy tools. It will bloat the ROM a little but it will save some time since these seem to be the most popular cabs installed right after a flash. Plus its nice to have them all work right out of the box :)

Guest JohnJayJrV
I removed Titanium because, frankly, ive never used it. I'm not that good at making CABs out of OEMs so my only idea is let me cook one up with Titanium included or wait till someone more competent in that area makes a CAB. I'm working on my "slightly more loaded" ROM that has things like SPB MoileShell, fdcSoft TaskManager, Google Maps, Advanced Config 3.3, MH Widgets, Internet Sharing, Voice Command 1.6, Opera 10 beta2u, and some other handy tools. It will bloat the ROM a little but it will save some time since these seem to be the most popular cabs installed right after a flash. Plus its nice to have them all work right out of the box :)

Hi Radio,

Is the nifty samsung taskswitcher not included w/ ur ROM? Just got it uploaded to my work, but of course I'm off in 15 minutes. No time to play.....

jv

Guest chesterbro

oh ok coo.

by the way how do you cook the ROM? i know people use kitchens but where can i get one?

Thanks,

ChesterBro

Guest Radioman96p71

http://www.modaco.com/content/verizon-sams...ed-from-update/

Is where i got the "kitchen" from.

Its not actually a full blown kitchen you may be used to, its just the raw ROM files that you add/remove/change to your needs and then execute a batch file that assembles all the peices into a flashable nb0 file. It can be very hit or miss, but a lot of fun trying to reverse engineer what other have done. The Samsung task manager is still there, If you want to use that instead, here is the process:

Using SKTools, advanced view, scroll to the bottom to Aliases. Change Alias :MSTASKMGR to point to TaskManager.exe instead of taskmgr.exe

Or use Resco and make a link to it, its under the /Windows directory.

Edited by Radioman96p71

Radioman,

I went with this ROM because I like the Samsung dialer. I gotta say... I like this ROM! Very snappy, much faster, and seems more stable than stock (I upgraded with the newer stock ROM, but actually never had dropped calls untll after the stock upgrade, we will see if this ROM is better for calls). The reinstall of all my stuff went very quickly because the ROM is so fast.

I couldn't get Internet Sharing to work until I installed the ICS CAB. Fine now.

I had a Swype CAB but I think it was for WQVGA, so not working.

One possible issue :

I installed a lot of stuff into My Storage, but a lot of it went to Main Storage for some reason. Anybody else seeing that? That seems really weird. Maybe it puts stuff that needs to go to Main Memory in there no matter where you tell it to go?

Edit: There was a lot of stuff in My Storage, so I cleared it, and it seemed like more installs could go there afterward.

Anyway, thanks for what seems to be a good running ROM.

Edited by Robtao

Guest JohnJayJrV

Got it installed Finally!!! Everything seems cool so far! was able to get taskswitcher working. Just wondering if Samsung calendar app was still installed. If not, what is the executible? Can't seem to find it....

jv

edit: also, does anyone know what executible the samsunb comm manager is? Need to setup a shortcut within SPB MS but don't see the shortcut. Alos when I go to settings and select connections it's pointing to default windows comm manager. How would I change that?

jv

Edited by JohnJayJrV

Dang it! I broke my phone talk button, and lost the Samsung dialer. I think it was by trying to map the phone button within TCPMP. Hope someone can figure out how to keep full functionality of that button. There is a definite connection between the button and the Samsung dialer. I like that dialer, but after I noticed I had lost the button, I noticed the dialer had defaulted back to the WM dialer, too.

Edit: Update: Had to reflash. It appears that programs that capture buttons may break the dialer/phone button if you try to capture and control that button. Although right now, AEButton + is capturing it OK.

I tried to get SPB Backup to get me back to a working button state, but the restored system wouldn't go past the Verizon moving flash screen. Fortunately, a soft reset with Octans in Detect mode started the reflash.

Edited by Robtao

Yep, thats where i got a lot of my file lists to remove lol

Radioman - did you (or do you) have to update the initflashfiles.dat for things that you are removing? or will is just skip those items during flashing?

Guest Radioman96p71
Radioman - did you (or do you) have to update the initflashfiles.dat for things that you are removing? or will is just skip those items during flashing?

I commented out almost everything i removed from that file. I didnt on the first flash and did not notice anything adverse. So im thinking if the files arent there it just skips over them.

Sorry i havent gotten back to you guys, i have been swamped in work. I will re-add Swype and Titanium for the people that want it and re-up it. I'll let you know when its done. Anything else youd like to see back from the stock ROM while im at it?

Thanks, and im glad you all are enjoying it!

I commented out almost everything i removed from that file. I didnt on the first flash and did not notice anything adverse. So im thinking if the files arent there it just skips over them.

Sorry i havent gotten back to you guys, i have been swamped in work. I will re-add Swype and Titanium for the people that want it and re-up it. I'll let you know when its done. Anything else youd like to see back from the stock ROM while im at it?

Thanks, and im glad you all are enjoying it!

Swype: YES

Titanium: NO

Oh, how about Arkswitch?

Just my opinion. Its your ROM. Thanks for sharing.

Fix: Internet sharing?

Also, can't find any place where I can access Auto versus manual backlight levels. Is that gone? Can't really set the backlight.

Edited by Robtao

Fix: Internet sharing? Also, can't find any place where I can access Auto versus manual backlight levels. Is that gone? Can't really set the backlight.

You can find cabs for ICS and WM Wifi Router floating around the internet. If the Samsung settings application has been left in this ROM, you should be able to use that to set the backlight levels.

Guest JohnJayJrV

Still can't find Samsung comm manager exe. Or is it one of the setup_*.exe files with a switch? Right now when I go to settings > Connections and select wireless manager it comes up with the default windows comm manager. Would like to use samsung comm manager. It's still there because I can select it when I click on the large indicator....

jv

edit: found it.... HKLM\controlpanel\wrlsmgr\Redirect = \Windows\setting_a.exe

Thanks for this wonderful rom! Now I just need htc sense (touchflo3d 2.5) to work on this phone and i will be complete....

jv

Edited by JohnJayJrV

You can find cabs for ICS and WM Wifi Router floating around the internet. If the Samsung settings application has been left in this ROM, you should be able to use that to set the backlight levels.

Thanks.

Yeah, there is an Icon for Internet Sharing in the ROM, but it won't work without installing the CAB.

Also, I found the backlight levels. Samsung Settings (in the ROM)/General/Power/Brightness. Not Display. No wonder I couldn't find it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest das7771

Any chance that there will be an update for this rom. I have found that this is the smoothest running for my type of usage but would love to have a little more free ram, and possibly with titanium as an option, with out the problems I have experienced with chome editor, and restart with the other roms out there. Thanks for a great rom and look forward to an updated version or new one all together.

• 1 month later...