APN for Internet & MMS .apk for Softbank users in JAPAN

Guest Umka

:) I am starting this topic for those of you who are like I was, using Softbank in Japan and have no clue how to setup Internet (pakehoudai) and MMS for Softbank.

will start with the easier part - setting up APN for Internet Connection:

1. Go to Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names

2. Long press empty space or press menu and select Add New APN

3. For internet input:

• Name:Open Softbank
  • APN: open.softbank.ne.jp
  • Proxy: <not set>
  • Port: 8080
  • Username:opensoftbank
  • Password:ebMNuX1FIHg9d3DA
  • Server: <not set>
  • MMSC: <not set>
  • MMS proxy: <not set>
  • MMS port: <not set>
  • MCC: 440
  • MNC: 20
  • APN type: default

4. For MMS set a new APN just like you did for Internet, but with settings below:
    • APN: mailwebservice.softbank.ne.jp
    • Port: <not set>
    • Username:softbank
    • Password:qceffknarlurqgbl
    • MMSC: http://mms/
    • MMS proxy: sbmmsproxy.softbank.ne.jp
    • MMS port: 8080
    • APN type: mms

That alone will not magically make your MMS work, because Softbank checks for UserAgent when sending / receiving MMS. So you will need to install a custom Mms.apk attached to this post.

5. Install Android SDK on your PC

6. Root your device (AT YOUR OWN RISK! please search for instructions for your specific device on this forum.)

7. open command prompts (Start > Run > cmd) connect your device with USB cable and execute following commands:

adb remount

adb push Mms.apk /system/app

That's it. Custom Mms.apk combined with correct APN should do the trick and you are able to send/receive MMS with Softbank.

MMS.zip is for Donut - tested and working on Acer Liquid / Android 1.6 and HTC Hero / Android 1.5

MmsEclair.zip is for Liquid Android 2.1 (tested on LCR, Vache all versions) Do not forget to ODEX after pushing if needed otherwise you fill have a Force Close error.

Mms8.zip is for Liquid and Desire on Android 2.1 (tested on Liquid only LCR, Vache all versions) THIS IS THE LATEST most feature rich and error-free version. Do not forget to ODEX after pushing if needed otherwise you fill have a Force Close error. (Credit to Jake for empty messages fix))

B)

Note: for MMSEclair and Mms8.zip, you have yo go to Messages>Settings>UserAgent and select a user agent. I am using 708SC and it works fine.

Note2: Fot those of you who have black SIMs - the correct APN is below:

[*]Name: smilemms

[*]APN: smile.world

[*]User: dna1trop

[*]Password: so2t3k3m2a

[*]MMSC: http://mms/

[*]MMS Proxy: smilemms.softbank.ne.jp

[*]MMS Port: 8080

[*]MCC: 440

[*]MNC: 20

[*]APN Type: default,supl,mms (none seems also OK)

Thanks to merkhant!

Mms.zip

MmsEclair.zip

Mms8.zip

Edited by Umka

Guest el_majico
:) I am starting this topic for those of you who are like I was, using Softbank in Japan and have no clue how to setup Internet (pakehoudai) and MMS for Softbank.

will start with the easier part - setting up APN for Internet Connection:

1. Go to Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names

2. Long press empty space or press menu and select Add New APN

3. For internet input:

• APN: open.softbank.ne.jp
  • Port: 8080
  • Username:opensoftbank
  • Password:ebMNuX1FIHg9d3DA
  • MMSC: <not set>
  • MMS proxy: <not set>
  • MMS port: <not set>
  • APN type: default

4. For MMS set a new APN just like you did for Internet, but with settings below:

• APN: mailwebservice.softbank.ne.jp
    • Port: <not set>
    • Username:softbank
    • Password:qceffknarlurqgbl
    • MMSC: http://mms/
    • MMS proxy: sbmmsproxy.softbank.ne.jp
    • MMS port: 8080
    • APN type: mms

That alone will not magically make your MMS work, because Softbank checks for UserAgent when sending / receiving MMS. So you will need to install a custom Mms.apk attached to this post.

5. Install Android SDK on your PC

6. Root your device (AT YOUR OWN RISK! please search for instructions for your specific device on this forum.)

7. open command prompts (Start > Run > cmd) connect your device with USB cable and execute following commands:

That's it. Custom Mms.apk combined with correct APN should do the trick and you are able to send/receive MMS with Softbank. Tested and working on Acer Liquid 1.6 and HTC Hero 1.5

B)

First of all thank you so much for your help, i would not ever succeed without your tutorial!

The only problem that I still have is in receiving emails from external address such as gmail, hotmail, etc.. because I receive the message as "anonymous/hidden sender"

Do you have any clue?

THX

The only problem that I still have is in receiving emails from external address such as gmail, hotmail, etc.. because I receive the message as "anonymous/hidden sender" Do you have any clue?

Welcome! I had that problem once or twice. You may have problems receiving email from PC email addresses if you have restrictions for receiving such messages on Softbank. If you go th their website and login into user area, you can actually disable receiving messages from PC and only allow messages from softbank.ne.jp, ezweb.ne.jp and docomo.jp. Maybe you should check what your settings are...

Guest Doheromon

Internet and MMS work indeed, thanks. And I have the unlimited packet plan, in fact have been using it with this APN on an unlocked Nokia for months.

BUT, five days with the Nexus and I'm already over 60,000 yen. I didn't check the first day (should have) or I would have stopped at once. OUCH. No more internet or e-mail on the Nexus for me.

The Nokia doesn't have as many options as the Nexus, and I followed these instructions to fill in the blanks, the rest of the data is the same. Any ideas ?

I'm already over 60,000 yen.

I do not want to urge you to use Internet, however my bill is over 400.000 every month. In the end of the month however, the discount is applied and I only pay 5000yen flat rate fee.

I even use my phone for tethering with my laptop when i need it, and it is still covered by the flat rate. just wait till next billing date and look how much they actually charged you.

As always - everything you do - is your responsibility ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest elliatab

Hi Umka,

Nice post, I've been looking for those information for a long time...

I posted a message on XDA about changing the UA in the mms.apk for the Hero. I was wondering if you used the same technique (smali/baksmali) or if you could find a nicer way to do it...

Also, I still cannot read messages sent from a PC if the sender is using rich formating. I remember on the original softbank cell phone it appeared as a html attached file (which could be opened with the phone browser). Did you find a way to open those mms on the hero?

Last question: which plan are you using now? Softbank is listing the following on their website:

• Unlimited Packet Discount
  • Unlimited Packet Discount S
  • Packet Flat-rate Full
  • Wi-Fi Value Plan

I'm still using a prepaid card which is working great for texting but not that much for anything else...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest L.C. Wild

I was looking for such a tuto for a long time (and I abandoned my search a couple of weeks ago…) so I really am glad it works… for you.

As I am kinda newbie, I can't figure out how to get the Mms.apk file.

The file attached is a zip file that contains many things but no *.apk

As I had some issue (ssems like some rights are not as good as I would), I want to try using Linda File Manager opening the apk file from my hero.

If you want some more informations that could allow you to help me, feel free to ask me :)

Thanks by advance ;)

Guest L.C. Wild

Well, it seems like I finally did it, using apkbuilder. But when I tried to send/receive any MMS, the application has to be force closed so I still can't use my hero for MMS.

I tried using modaco 3.1 and 2.3 but getting the same results. I guess I am not that far from getting those MMS working, but can't figure out why the apk keep crashing…

So if anyone has any idea about how I could fix this, I would be glad to hear it ! :)

• 3 weeks later...
hi the Mms.zip file seems broken...anyone? ;)

Hello, the file mms.zip works fine. The only problem for me now is that i cannot make it work with latest evil.2.01 ROM Maybe it lack support for Android 2.1 - not sure. I will do my best to fix the issue and update.

Otherwise the Mms.apk in Mms.zip is working fine for me and many others. Why you think it is corrupt? any problems with installation?

Allright, here is the MMS.apk for Eclair (Android 2.1). Works fine on latest Evil 2.01 ROM

However, for some reason this does not work with HandCent SMS which i love.... Now I have to use the stock MMS application for a while. Unable to send/receive MMS on Handcet,

Edited by Umka

Guest abeyin
Allright, here is the MMS.apk for Eclair (Android 2.1). Works fine on latest Evil 2.01 ROM

However, for some reason this does not work with HandCent SMS which i love.... Now I have to use the stock MMS application for a while. Unable to send/receive MMS on Handcet,

Hi Umka...

I'm using Nokia E71...still noob to install the MMS.apk seriously...I did setting as per given above...Seems works half way...as you said 'softbank will filter the agent bla bla'

Still thinkin where can I find the basic tutuorial huhuhu ;) ;)

Guest lbwtaylor

Hey guys.

I didn't see any mms.apk for eclair (the message doesn't have any attachment), so I installed handcent, put in a softbank user agent and the alms and I was able to send messages on the nexus one.

Unfortunately I can't receive. I get a notification and there is a download button but can't see the message and downloading accomplishes nothing.

Is this the problem the mms.apk solves or is it separate do you think? Would prefer not to mod my n1 for no reason.

Thanks! And thanks for the apns!

Lawrence

Hello.

Nokia E71?? What kind of mobile is it? Is it Android? The instructions provided are for Android users with rooted phones.... If its Android - you must be able to setup everything, just search for a method to root your phone.

Hi Umka...

I'm using Nokia E71...still noob to install the MMS.apk seriously...I did setting as per given above...Seems works half way...as you said 'softbank will filter the agent bla bla'

Still thinkin where can I find the basic tutuorial huhuhu ;) ;)

Hi Laurence.

I am attaching the new MMS.apk file. For this APK you have to select a UserAgent in Messages>Settings>UserAgent I am using 708sc. Works fine for me on Android 2.1 and should normally work for Nexus. Please update if works for you.

Hey guys.

I didn't see any mms.apk for eclair (the message doesn't have any attachment), so I installed handcent, put in a softbank user agent and the alms and I was able to send messages on the nexus one.

Unfortunately I can't receive. I get a notification and there is a download button but can't see the message and downloading accomplishes nothing.

Is this the problem the mms.apk solves or is it separate do you think? Would prefer not to mod my n1 for no reason.

Thanks! And thanks for the apns!

Lawrence

MmsEclair.zip

Edited by Umka

Guest abeyin
Hello.

Nokia E71?? What kind of mobile is it? Is it Android? The instructions provided are for Android users with rooted phones.... If its Android - you must be able to setup everything, just search for a method to root your phone.

Hi again...

Is there any tutorial with a screen shots here?

Tried to search bout the 'screen shot' as I'm dull & noob bout the 'root' I dont know how to do it...only know bout icon, plug in cable but how to & where I really dont know...

Thanks again! ;)

Guest lbwtaylor

THANK YOU!

Thank you a million times over. After many many hours, this is what has worked for me:

Mms.apk from the mms1 file. I have a nexus one, I purchased a prepaid softbank 740sc and just wanted email to work on my Nexus 1.

Many different permutations over the course of several hours did not work, but ultimately, once I installed MoDaCo's latest ROM (r13) for the nexus 1, mms.apk from mms1 and went into the settings and chose the 708SC, it all fell together. Who knows, maybe choosing 708SC was all I had to do, but now I have a working system and that is all that matters!!!

Thank you!!!

Lawrence

Hi Laurence.

I am attaching the 2 MMS files. Both work fine for me on Android 2.1 and should normally work for Nexus. Please update if they work for you.

....... noob bout the 'root' I dont know how to do ................Thanks again! ;)

Hello dear abeyin. ;)

One again, you have to check your phone OS version first. your phone is Symbian. While this whole forum is about Android. You need to look for "Symbyan setup MMS Softbank" in Google. Do not worry about "root" - you will never be able to, as well as you want' ever install MMS.apk

The only thing you can take from this forum, is APN settings (username and password for Softbank).

your best shot is to look for Symbyan forums about MMS setup.

Or!! Get an Android phone (Acer liquid), and then I will give you full instructions, maybe even with screenshots ;)

Guest L.C. Wild

Hi !

As the Mms.apk still keep crashing, I wonder which rom would you advise me to put in my Hero (not cdma) ? I have already try some, but if you know of one that works fine for sure it would help me a lot !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zanton

I did all as your instructions on my Nexus one, and now a notification shows up whenever there is a new mms for me.

The problem's that i cant download that new mms message (of course as you said) by Messaging app and Handcent SMS. But I tried many other apps and couldn't find any app on Market which can solve this - download the mms.

Could you tell me what mms app do you use?

Thanks in advance.

Guest zanton

Any one helps me plz. I'm in big trouble while being not able to receive mms for my @softbank.ne.jp address...

Guest lbwtaylor

Thanks to trolld on xda, I got some more suggestions for APN infos that relate to prepaid sims (like mine).

This hasn't completely solved my problems, I still have some problems with html messages and images, but I am pretty perfect with regular messages, which is enough (I'm leaving japan in a month, so I've invested enough time in this).

YMMV:

here are the settings:

MMS Settings

------------------------------------- -

Setting Name: VFJP Network

Modem Name: Softbank WAP

APN: mailwebservice.softbank.ne.jp

Username: softbank

Password: qceffknarlurqgbl

Proxy server: vfkkwapproxy.softbank.ne.jp

HTTP Port: 8080

Username: softbank

Password: qceffknarlurqgbl

Here are some more detailed instructions I used as a guide as well:

1. Settings --> Connections Tab --> Connections

2. Advanced Tab --> Select Networks

3. Programs that Automatically Connect to the Internet --> New

4. Enter a name for these settings --> Change "My isp name" to VFJP Network

5. Modem Tab --> New

6. Name for the Connection --> Softbank WAP

7. Select Cellular line (GPRS,3G)

8. Next

9. Access point name --> mailwebservice.softbank.ne.jp

10. Next

11. Username --> softbank

12. Password --> qceffknarlurqgbl (be careful to enter it correctly!)

13. Domain -->leave blank

14. Finish

15. Proxy Settings Tab

16. Check --> This network connects to the Internet

17. Check --> This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet

18. Proxy Server --> vfkwapproxy.softbank.ne.jp

19. Advance Button

20. HTTP Proxy --> vfkkwapproxy.softbank.ne.jp (no change)

21. Port 8080

22. Username --> softbank

23. Password --> qceffknarlurqgbl

24. Domain --> leave blank

25. Go to Messaging (Outlook e-mail?)

26. Menu --> Tools --> Options

27. Click --> MMS Servers Tab -->New button

28. Server Name --> mailwebservice.vodafone.ne.jp

29. Gateway --> vfkkmmsproxy.vodafone.ne.jp

30. Port 8080

31. Server Address --> http://mms/

32. Connect via VFJP Network

33. WAP Version --> WAP 2.0

34. OK

35. Tap [mailwebservice.vodafone.ne.jp] -->set as default button

36.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?SOFTWARE?ARCSOFT?Arcsoft MMS UA?Config?mm1?{number}name=mailwebservice.vodafone .ne.jp

37. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?SOFTWARE?ARCSOFT?Arcsoft MMS UA?Config?mm1?Wsptleader

User-Agent=Softbank/1.0/705SC/SCJ001