Good WiFi router to use with the Hero

Guest stevenz

Guest stevenz

My WiFi at home seems to be pretty hopeless, even with my Hero within about a foot of the antenna I'm getting ping responses mostly from 300ms to 1000ms or thereabouts, which is pretty hopeless. I'm using a Dlink DI-524 which from what I've read doesn't play well with the Hero. What Wifi routers/APs are people using that work well with the Hero?

802.11n isn't necessary but could be useful for the flatmate with his Macbook. It needs to play nicely with an iPod touch as well which is our universal remote for the HTPC.

Does anyone know if the proper Android 2.x kernel is any more forgiving with Wireless than the 1.5 one?

Cheers.

Guest Mike Beecham

I've been using a Netgear DG834G v4 for a long time now, and it's never let me down at any stage. It's easy to use, easy to set up and just does what it says on the tin.

Guest Reynholm Industries

Although a little expensive a Draytek 2820 is the dogs chubbs.

We use them at work for public wifi and at home it covers the whole house.

MG

Linksys WRT54GL works perfect. I checked with tomato and DD-WRT firmware. Tomato is simpler, but still rich in settings :)

#2, however I would buy the new Asus RT-N16, has tomato/dd-wrt support, and the hardware is just brand new (a lot of RAM/ROM, usb, 802.11n ...) just awesome.

Guest ardagast
#2, however I would buy the new Asus RT-N16, has tomato/dd-wrt support, and the hardware is just brand new (a lot of RAM/ROM, usb, 802.11n ...) just awesome.

I agree, RT-N16 is better but also more expensive ;] for me, my router has all I need right now. It depends on what do you expect. USB support is great thing!

Guest stevenz
I agree, RT-N16 is better but also more expensive ;] for me, my router has all I need right now. It depends on what do you expect. USB support is great thing!

Do the Tomato / DD-WRT firmwares handle the USB connector?

I've found in the past that any sort of device (NAS, Router etc) with external USB ports is usually at best around 15MB/sec rather than the 30-40MB/sec I'd expect of a direct connection. Any idea if this thing is any better? If I can use it to plug my media drive into rather than having the HTPC on 24/7 then that'd be a big bonus.

Looks like an impressive device, considering what it does the price isn't too bad at all.

EDIT: Looks like the USB throughput is typically bad (around 5 MB/sec) so that rules it out as a replacement media server (too painful copying files over the network). Apparently USB is supported by DD-WRT though. Might be handy as a printserver.

Edited by stevenz

Guest T39andcounting

Before you upgrade your router hardware, try downloading WiFi Analyzer from the app store and check to see if there's a lot of congestion on the channel you're using. I found when my router was on a congested channel I had to be really close to it to get a decent signal. Once I changed it there was a big improvement.

Guest smiskkissen

My two linksys wrt610n with dd-wrt works flawless with the hero. Couldn't be more pleased. They use a broadcom chip so keep an eye out for those.

I also have a fonera (atheros chip) and it works ok but not as good as the linksys.

Linksys makes really good routers plus most of the models have support for dd-wrt (one of the greatest thing on the internet)

Guest stevenz
Before you upgrade your router hardware, try downloading WiFi Analyzer from the app store and check to see if there's a lot of congestion on the channel you're using. I found when my router was on a congested channel I had to be really close to it to get a decent signal. Once I changed it there was a big improvement.

Checked that out, ran it on the most isolated channel I could find and it didn't make any difference. I borrowed an old US Robotics WiFi router from work and that performed significantly better which kinda points the finger at the DLink.

Still gonna have a play with WiFi Analyzer though, cheers.

• 6 months later...
Guest jimitshah1986
D link DIR-615 works fine for me as did my old Netgeear WGR-624

Hey Higgsy can you please help me I have HTC Hero with 3, I am using Android 1.5 and Dlink DIR 615 router and for me I am shown the connection but cannot connect to it. Can you please help me? I am trying this since 10-15 days but no success have contacted HTC, 3 everyone but no help for anyone. Waiting for your reply. Please help. Thanks

Jimit

Guest Incomer
Hey Higgsy can you please help me I have HTC Hero with 3, I am using Android 1.5 and Dlink DIR 615 router and for me I am shown the connection but cannot connect to it. Can you please help me? I am trying this since 10-15 days but no success have contacted HTC, 3 everyone but no help for anyone. Waiting for your reply. Please help. Thanks

Jimit

try to reset/restart your router...

Guest sukh singh

For the love of god please dont change your router....

Its the default settings of many routers..I had the same problem when my sister bought a HTC and it would not connect to my router...and I though oh well her phone just dodgey..then back when I had my satio I had same problem..

Found out it was the settings in the router that had to be changed from the default values to make certain hand helds work. Will try find the link for you and post asap...

Guest Andrew Lim

Whatever you do, don't get WAG54G2. I'm using it and it has issues with the Hero, no matter what ROM I use. Other WiFi routers I've encountered so far work okay though.

Guest jimitshah1986
try to reset/restart your router...

I have tried all this but it doesnot work and for my router I can connect laptops and other cells like Nokia N 95, E62 even. E62 is an old phone still it connects but not Hero. Any other suggestions? I am skeptical that there is some compatibility issues with Android 1.5 and some routers so can you tell me which router and which Android are you using?

Guest toxic-hero
I have tried all this but it doesnot work and for my router I can connect laptops and other cells like Nokia N 95, E62 even. E62 is an old phone still it connects but not Hero. Any other suggestions? I am skeptical that there is some compatibility issues with Android 1.5 and some routers so can you tell me which router and which Android are you using?

i see you use android 1.5 on your hero... have you ever upgraded your firmware or is it the same as it was when you bought it? if so, then just upgrade it! i used to have problems connecting to my router with factory firmware and also some later firmwares. but one of the upgrades (don't remember which, it was at the end of last year) solved this problem. now i don't have any problem like this whatsoever.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest jimitshah1986
i see you use android 1.5 on your hero... have you ever upgraded your firmware or is it the same as it was when you bought it? if so, then just upgrade it! i used to have problems connecting to my router with factory firmware and also some later firmwares. but one of the upgrades (don't remember which, it was at the end of last year) solved this problem. now i don't have any problem like this whatsoever.

Hi there, thanks a lot for your reply. I have bought this with 3 network and I am on the latest upgrade which is certified by 3 so cant upgrade it further. My ROM version:2.73.771.73 (3UK) which is the latest supported by 3. So I have no clue what to do as 3 as well as Hero guys are not able to help me. By the way which android are you using 1.5 or some other Android version? Can I downgrade my build to the one which you are using to get this problem resolved. Please help I have wasted 15 days and no success. You help is highly appreciated.

Jimit

Guest toxic-hero

i think 2.73.771.73 was one of the last 1.5 firmwares before android 2.1 came, so i guess my theory was wrong. when i had this firmware it worked. i'm on 2.1 now.

you can try and upgrade your hero to 2.1 (which you said is not supported by your operator at the moment) but it's not necessarily it would work either.

also you can try to connect to different routers around and if it works, there's something wrong with yours and maybe you should really buy new one. if not, than it's your hero's fault and you should ask your operator to replace it with working one.

btw, how long do you own your hero? have you ever successfully connected to any wifi?

Guest jimitshah1986
i think 2.73.771.73 was one of the last 1.5 firmwares before android 2.1 came, so i guess my theory was wrong. when i had this firmware it worked. i'm on 2.1 now.

you can try and upgrade your hero to 2.1 (which you said is not supported by your operator at the moment) but it's not necessarily it would work either.

also you can try to connect to different routers around and if it works, there's something wrong with yours and maybe you should really buy new one. if not, than it's your hero's fault and you should ask your operator to replace it with working one.

btw, how long do you own your hero? have you ever successfully connected to any wifi?

I have tried with different routers some of them work and some do not. There is no issues with my router i guess as i told u that my laptop and nokia e62 and nokie n95 can connect to them. Also i do not think there is an issue with the hardware of the phone as I got it replaced once already. So basically I am deadlocked. I like this phone overall but the wifi problems needs to be resolved. How can I update to 2.1 if my operator related updates are not available? You have an unlocked HTC hero or you have with some other operator.

Guest toxic-hero

it has to be one's fault, either your router's or your phone's.

there is a step by step guide to rooting here but you should know that it may break your warranty and there's no proof it would cure your wifi.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest jimitshah1986
it has to be one's fault, either your router's or your phone's.

there is a step by step guide to rooting here but you should know that it may break your warranty and there's no proof it would cure your wifi.

As I told u that I have 2 HTC hero so it is really unlikely that both the phones have same issue. Also my laptop and other phones are connecting to this router so the router is also fine. I think there is some compatibility issue or some issue with the settings or with android 1.5 with my build the latest 1. What router do you use? Is your phone unlocked or is it locked to some network?