Update incoming?

Guest Mantisen

It's true ;)

All forums are going bonkers lol

I hope the 3G issues will be fixed for the most of them who have problems + the long awaited MT for some = one great update

Advantage of having a carrier-free phone is already visible after only 1 month

From the sound of it everyone should expect to get it in the next few days. And when i posted question on Google support forum on updates in UK the official answer I got was everyone in UK (or other region that they release to) will receive OTA updates.

the update is rather timely to be fair,given the phone is out less than 1 month ago, definitely a big advantage of letting Google sorting out the software support (unlike HTC's own 4 month delay on Hero updates and still delaying....)

Lovely jubs. ;) Now what I want to know is when it will get into the Cyanogen 5 ROM :(

Yes I know CM already has Multitouch browser, but I heard the update is also for Gallery :D

Dayz

Guest Shuflie
Lovely jubs. ;) Now what I want to know is when it will get into the Cyanogen 5 ROM :D

Yes I know CM already has Multitouch browser, but I heard the update is also for Gallery :D

Dayz

Gallery, Browser and Maps. Be nice to see it in mail and Gmail too, but can't have everything I supose :(

I think that multitouch is actually quite a bit of an over stated function, I mean I personally seldom zoom anything on my phone and when I need to the point to zoom is more than sufficient.

But I do think its a rather milestone step of the whole Android vs Apple rivalry. At least now the android community can move on from the whole multi touch debate and focus on the more definitive functions and development of the platform. Definitely a positive thing! let's hope Google dont mess up rolling out the OTA ;)

Guest monkeycancer
Woohoo! Will root and repack as soon as a copy drops!

P

So what does this mean for us rooted users? Will we be able to install update or have to wait until its incorporated in the newest rom?

Guest Shuflie
So what does this mean for us rooted users? Will we be able to install update or have to wait until its incorporated in the newest rom?

Fails with rooted phones, been tried over on XDA

Also have the update link there too, its https://android.clients.google.com/updates/...79.a487b405.zip

Just beat to it, but by the original poster of the link so that's ok ;)

EDIT2: Nice first post, worth waiting all this time :D

Edited by Shuflie

Guest squirreleater
I think that multitouch is actually quite a bit of an over stated function, I mean I personally seldom zoom anything on my phone and when I need to the point to zoom is more than sufficient.

But I do think its a rather milestone step of the whole Android vs Apple rivalry. At least now the android community can move on from the whole multi touch debate and focus on the more definitive functions and development of the platform. Definitely a positive thing! let's hope Google dont mess up rolling out the OTA ;)

I think it's more of a stuff you Apple, we're coming after your market share!

Whoooo!

Just beat to it, but by the original poster of the link so that's ok ;)

EDIT2: Nice first post, worth waiting all this time :D

Haha. I figured you guys would be all over it, but I thought I'd just post over here anyway. I guess I need to update my profile; it still shows the SMT5600 from when I first registered. :(

Guest Chris Jenx
Haha. I figured you guys would be all over it, but I thought I'd just post over here anyway. I guess I need to update my profile; it still shows the SMT5600 from when I first registered. ;)

Hehe cant wait... I know MT isn't the be all and end all, but iphone peeps still use it as bragging rights. You reckon this MT will make it the 2.1 Source so all 2.1 phones will natively have it?

Hehe cant wait... I know MT isn't the be all and end all, but iphone peeps still use it as bragging rights. You reckon this MT will make it the 2.1 Source so all 2.1 phones will natively have it?

Yeah i cant see why not, the browser and gallery apps are all open source, however the maps isnt. Its weird that they have all held off on the multi touch stuff for so long.

From what ive heard (from TWIT etc) it was suggested that Apple has some weak patents on MT and Google had a deal with Apple not to step on their toes initally. Seems that agreement is out the window now!

Pesonally i dont think much of MT yeah its nice eye candy but it doesnt mean much on a phone as the screen is too small. What ill be interested to see though is these larger android devices such as the new wave of tablets coming out, the Archos 5's etc.

Do I need a rooted phone to update this?

Any chance if an idiots guide as I'm not sure how to do it. I'm using Astro and Androzip, will either of these do the trick and if so... how?

Thanks!

Here's my little guide ;)

FIRST: make sure you have enough battery, this update can brick your device since it overwrites the radio!!

SECOND: this method is for devices with LOCKED bootloader!

1. Get the update from Google: http://android.clients.go...7-from-ERD79.a487b405.zip

2. Put the update on your SD card & rename it to update.zip

3. Boot in recovery mode (hold down trackball + power)

4. Go to bootloader -> recovery

5. Now there's a picture of a droid with a triangle

6. Press the power button + volume up

7. Apply sdcard:update.zip

8. Updating

9. Reboot system now

10. Enjoy the multitouch