AutoKiller minfree manager

Guest RatSon

Here's a silly question, but if I'm running with around 30MB of free RAM most of the time, what is the advantage of running with, say, 70MB of free RAM most of the time? I would think that 30MB is *plenty* of free RAM to load up pretty much any application.

From what I understand of the way Android works ( and I may be completely wrong here ) the system uses your free RAM as a vm_cache ( so it's not really "free", the system just reduces the cache when apps need the RAM ) that tries to predict what you *might* want to do next.

For example, it can keep all the home screens loaded on your "free RAM" so that when you press the HOME key and scroll from screen to screen, there won't be stutter. This really helps on the HTC Hero with all 7 screens loaded with widgets ( like mine ).

Another example is during a screen rotation, the system can use the "free RAM" to store a rotated state of the app you're using. This helps a lot with things like Google Maps and email or SMS with the keyboard out.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MrLong

From what I understand of the way Android works ( and I may be completely wrong here ) the system uses your free RAM as a vm_cache ( so it's not really "free", the system just reduces the cache when apps need the RAM ) that tries to predict what you *might* want to do next.

For example, it can keep all the home screens loaded on your "free RAM" so that when you press the HOME key and scroll from screen to screen, there won't be stutter. This really helps on the HTC Hero with all 7 screens loaded with widgets ( like mine ).

Another example is during a screen rotation, the system can use the "free RAM" to store a rotated state of the app you're using. This helps a lot with things like Google Maps and email or SMS with the keyboard out.

Hope this helps.

that's the point.

@RatSon

I like it, seems to work well.

May I make a UI suggestion? As we're all running pure touch devices, a UI that's perhaps slider-control based may be more user friendly.

I've attached the Tone Picker UI as an example, easily fits 6 slider on a portrait screen. What do you think?

i will consider this, but only as an option. exact values give more flexibility, and are in this case a better choise.

i am right now working on a social database which would collect the setting from you, users and give suggestions based on it.

ratson, I am using hero kagudroid 1.2.2 do i just download you app and hit apply? or do i need to muck around with settings?

you shall start with the presets, only set custom values if you know what you are doing.

presets can be found in the application menu.

Yep, made changes, rebooted - no difference regardless of which preset I use. I'm using Advance Task Killer to check my free memory.

Doesnt this app need root ?

I have set my Hero ud with these settings in a file, which will set my settings in effect when I boot. (doesnt have this app installed)

But I could def. feel the differences.

Before I would hover around 30 meg free ram, and the system would feel buggy, and would lag.

This is completely gone now, and I hover around 60-70 gig free ram now.

Checking ram with advanced task killer, and does never have to close any apps manual anymore.

Really nice, and a big difference for me :D

BTW - Im on MoDaCo 2.9.

BR

Mkrogh

Guest ermacwins
you shall start with the presets, only set custom values if you know what you are doing.

presets can be found in the application menu.

so if i wanna save battery do i go for moderate?

so if i wanna save battery do i go for moderate?

battery saving is only a side effect, feel free to play with different settings and see what suits you best.

btw i will release new version soon.

it definitely needs root, but no reboot required, it is just a feature, that settings remain after reboot.

OK thought so, the manual settings req. root as well :D

Maybe thats why some in this post doesnt feel any differenses with this app !!

BR.

Mkrogh

Guest TheAshMan

This is pretty good, I tried it out and have now replaced Auto Task Killer with this.

I tried opening about 15 applications, and with the exception of CoPilot they all opened smoothly as older tasks were killed off.

Guest richdoc

This is a fantastic app, its like a turbo for my Hero.

I have one suggestion, it would be good to have a setting which you can define then save as an available preset.

Also I am intrigued how these settings are preserved after reboot. Are you adding an 'echo' to an existing file?

This is a fantastic app, its like a turbo for my Hero.

I have one suggestion, it would be good to have a setting which you can define then save as an available preset.

Also I am intrigued how these settings are preserved after reboot. Are you adding an 'echo' to an existing file?

no, I set it after boot is finished.

i will think about the preset save function.

Guest arielext

Although this is in the hero topic I have a question about the droid/milestone.

When i use this program and press apply the spinner never stops, don't have the feeling the new settings are set, On my hero it works like a champ though.

My milestone is a rooted 2.0.1 with french firmware

Although this is in the hero topic I have a question about the droid/milestone.

When i use this program and press apply the spinner never stops, don't have the feeling the new settings are set, On my hero it works like a champ though.

My milestone is a rooted 2.0.1 with french firmware

do other root related apps run fine on your droid? if so could you please send me a logcat? andrs.studio ...... is my gmail address

Guest masterpfa

Hi for all those who are having trouble understanding the concept behind this app should check out androcheck over at xda forums, he first brought this to the general attention of most people back in January this year, this was the first place I read about the taskkiller.

I have been using this method in one form or another for over a month with nothing but positive feedback. Try it, play around with a few setting, hopefully you will see the benefits. :(

Guest psionandy
Hi for all those who are having trouble understanding the concept behind this app should check out androcheck over at xda forums, he first brought this to the general attention of most people back in January this year, this was the first place I read about the taskkiller.

I have been using this method in one form or another for over a month with nothing but positive feedback. Try it, play around with a few setting, hopefully you will see the benefits. :(

Thanks for that... I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, but was a bit wary as I didn't understand what it was doing... now that I've read a bit of the background it does look like its worth exploring. I'll give it a go and see how it works for me :(

been using this for a few days now on the optimum setting and it seems 110% better than the last task manager/killer i used

the last one seemed to only keep things fast when i manually killed the apps where as this seems to keep things quick and smooth with out any mesing about

thanks