Solved -- Help - USB Freezing/Headphone issue

Guest Dreaming Sheep

Guest Dreaming Sheep

Hey all,

So I've been having the problem with the headphone's icon appearing and losing all audio everytime I reboot my phone. So I've figured out a temporary work-around (plugging in either a power lead or connecting it to my PC, it seems to be fine after that) however it's causing major problems when I'm not home and the phone reboots itself and I'm screwwed until I get home.

So I want to take it in to Orange to get a replacement, however I've rooted it and I'm trying to run the official RUU but whenever I connect my phone to a PC it won't sync or it makes the PC freeze until the phone is disconnected.

I've tried changing as many of the setting as I can find on the phone and re-installing HTC Sync and the driver several times and still nothing.

I've managed to flash the old Orange ROM to the phone but I'd rather remove all traces of rooting to prevent them giving me any grief. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks!!

Edited by Dreaming Sheep

Guest Dreaming Sheep

Seriously, no-one can help?

I hate double posting but I desperately need help here..

I need to return my handset to HTC to have to replaced/repaired but I cannot connect it to my PC via USB to run the official RUU, it just doesn't aknowledge that a USB cable is connected so will not connect to HTC Sync.

Can anyone provide any help? I've tried changing the ROM's using the recovery and my PC's now don't freeze but still will not connect using the official USB cable or any proprietary USB cable.

Seriously, no-one can help?

I hate double posting but I desperately need help here..

I need to return my handset to HTC to have to replaced/repaired but I cannot connect it to my PC via USB to run the official RUU, it just doesn't aknowledge that a USB cable is connected so will not connect to HTC Sync.

Can anyone provide any help? I've tried changing the ROM's using the recovery and my PC's now don't freeze but still will not connect using the official USB cable or any proprietary USB cable.

How about using the HEROIMG.ZIP method to get back to stock, then going from there? (Search the forum here for some details I wrote before, or also on xda-dev)

Guest Dreaming Sheep

Yeay, a reply..

I'd had a quick look at that before as well but not properly. I've just given it a go and fastboot doesn't detect any devices.

I mentioned before that the PC I connect the phone to freezes (Mouse & Keyboard stop responding, video freezes and internet disconnects), this also happens as soon as the phone starts booting up, even before it can load fastboot/hboot or recovery, however after switching between hboot and fastboot the PC starts working again.

Guest b1ck132

You do not need to connect the device to the computer for the HEROIMG.ZIP method.

Just get your SDcard to an SDcard reader, put the HEROIMG.ZIP of the ROM you want to use in to the root of the SDcard(In case you want to use an official RUU, just run it(no need to connect device again), search for your Temp folders for the Update.zip, re-name it to HEROIMG.ZIP)

Then put the card in your device, turn it on, while pressing the Volume Down button, and here you go =)

You do not need to connect the device to the computer for the HEROIMG.ZIP method.

Just get your SDcard to an SDcard reader, put the HEROIMG.ZIP of the ROM you want to use in to the root of the SDcard(In case you want to use an official RUU, just run it(no need to connect device again), search for your Temp folders for the Update.zip, re-name it to HEROIMG.ZIP)

Then put the card in your device, turn it on, while pressing the Volume Down button, and here you go =)

Yeah. There is no need for USB to work for this (it can even be physically broken and will work, so long as you could charge battery in another Hero ;))

It is actually one of the 'official' recommended methods to their service engineers to use (either RUU or HEROIMG.ZIP). Once you put the file onto the SD, turn off phone, and hold Vol. down, as b1ck132 said (thanks :D)

Guest Dreaming Sheep

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to sound pretty stupid here, but is there any chance of a quick step-by-step for the HEROIMG.ZIP method. Everything I've read states that I'd either need to connect my phone for a fastboot or hboot connection or that I need to create a goldcard. With further reading, to create a goldcard I need to be able to access adb and neither of these options work.

1. You said to place the HEROIMG.ZIP of the ROM on my SDcard.. Where do I get the zip file? Do I just rename the xxxxxx.RUU to HEROIMG.ZIP or is there more to it?

2. Next question... You said to 'just run it.' How? Where? I've tried doing a fast boot with a renamed RUU and it loads the blue bar on the right, then eventually gives me the option to reset device and nothing has changed. I've also tried opening the zip file using Root Explorer and that basically does nothing.

3. Finally, you mentioned searching my Temp folders for the Update.zip. Again, I'm drawing a blank here. I can't find this file on my PC or mobile.

Any chance of a bit more clarity on the whole matter. Having searched the forum and google a bit briefly, I cannot find the answers to these questions as most of the post seems more geared toward trial and error as opposed to this has worked before, do this, then this, then this. If I'm being stupid and missing something, feel free to just post a link to an existing post that answers those questions and I'll have another read.

Thank again for your time!

Guest soulehs

try http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=13

Also he means if you run the RUU exe and leave it open after it extracts its contents, the Update.zip will be in the temp folder.

Rename it to HEROIMG.ZIP

copy HEROIMG.ZIP to your sd card using a card reader

place sdcard in phone

boot up phone while holding the volume down button.

Edited by soulehs

Guest Dreaming Sheep

Hey,

So I've tried that too. Extracted the rom.zip, renamed it, put it on my sdcard, rebooted and it finds the update, loads something (there's a blue vertical bar on the top-right of the screen and then just goes to the HBOOT screen. Recovery is still there and still running modaco rom.

I've just updated the SPL and tried again, did the trick!! :D

So a break down for if anyone else has the same problem, I am assuming that the user already has a custome recovery image and that the user will unplug plugin the sdcard when needed...

1. Switch your hero off

2. While holding the back button, power the mobile on.

3. Check the SPL version. If lower than 1.76.2007, follow these instructions to download the updated SPL. If you have 1.76.2007, go to step 9.

4. Rename the SPL to something more memorable (eg. spl-signed.zip) and place in the root of your SD card.

5. If your mobile is on, switch it off. While holding the home button, power the mobile on.

6. Depending on the recovery you are using, select the option which will allow you to select a zip file to flash from SD.

7. Select the SPL zip file and confirm the flash.

8. Reboot your mobile and wait for the home scren to load before doing or touching anything on the mobile.

9. On your PC, download and open the RUU you want to apply and once it's finished extracting itself, browse through your Temp folder on your PC for a rom.zip file.

10. Copy this rom.zip file to the root of your sdcard and rename it to HEROIMG.ZIP. I found mine in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temp\{789BF7F5-ABEB-450E-896F-7E694E746D26}\{50F2F878-636A-496F-A7CB-544C067E0C4B}

11. Switch the mobile off.

12. Holding the volume down button, power the mobile on. The mobile will extact the zip file (there is a vertical blue progress bar displayed on the top-right of the screen) and then ask to confirm to flash the zip. Confirm and wait for it to complete.

13. Reboot the mobile and wait for the home screen to load before doing or touching anything on the mobile.

14. You're done!

Thanks for all the help!! Now curious to see if I can connect via USB again.... :D

Hey,

So I've tried that too. Extracted the rom.zip, renamed it, put it on my sdcard, rebooted and it finds the update, loads something (there's a blue vertical bar on the top-right of the screen and then just goes to the HBOOT screen. Recovery is still there and still running modaco rom.

I've just updated the SPL and tried again, did the trick!! :D

So a break down for if anyone else has the same problem, I am assuming that the user already has a custome recovery image and that the user will unplug plugin the sdcard when needed...

1. Switch your hero off

2. While holding the back button, power the mobile on.

3. Check the SPL version. If lower than 1.76.2007, follow these instructions to download the updated SPL. If you have 1.76.2007, go to step 9.

4. Rename the SPL to something more memorable (eg. spl-signed.zip) and place in the root of your SD card.

5. If your mobile is on, switch it off. While holding the home button, power the mobile on.

6. Depending on the recovery you are using, select the option which will allow you to select a zip file to flash from SD.

7. Select the SPL zip file and confirm the flash.

8. Reboot your mobile and wait for the home scren to load before doing or touching anything on the mobile.

9. On your PC, download and open the RUU you want to apply and once it's finished extracting itself, browse through your Temp folder on your PC for a rom.zip file.

10. Copy this rom.zip file to the root of your sdcard and rename it to HEROIMG.ZIP. I found mine in:

11. Switch the mobile off.

12. Holding the volume down button, power the mobile on. The mobile will extact the zip file (there is a vertical blue progress bar displayed on the top-right of the screen) and then ask to confirm to flash the zip. Confirm and wait for it to complete.

13. Reboot the mobile and wait for the home screen to load before doing or touching anything on the mobile.

14. You're done!

Thanks for all the help!! Now curious to see if I can connect via USB again.... :D

If you still have USB troubles, try this process here ( http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...nized-solution/ ), as it worked for a couple of people here and on xda-dev

Guest Dreaming Sheep

Hey,

Gave it a try, didn't really do anything other than wipe the data on my phone, just seems to do a wipe/factory reset.

Oddly though, my mobile now doesn't cause my PC to freeze, but does nothing but charge when connected. I don't even get a HTC Sync prompt on the mobile. My PC does still do the 'unrecognised device' error though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dreaming Sheep

So I called HTC, they said it was a software fault and I'll just have to wiat for the next update. I told them this was unacceptable as this was happening on multiple versions of their software and causing the same fault on multiple PC's when connected.

It got sent away to them and they reported a faulty RS232/USB connector, replaced that and all is back to normal now :-)

thank-you-blackboard.jpg again for all the help and putting up with any stupidity from my end!!

• 5 months later...