autostart script on boot

Guest kendon

[edit: changed the title, maybe someone cares this way ;)]

so i am working on the bootscreen rotator, i need some advise from you romcookers:

what is the best way to run it [edit: "it" meaning a shell script that needs to be run as root after the boot process]? for now i was trying to do it through /data/init.sh. at the moment this doesn't work, but this is probably due to my rom being a little f***ed up... but as i understand it, /data/init.sh is a mcr-specific way of autostarting things. how would i do it if i want it to work for generic roms aswell? please give me some hints so i can compile newbie-friendly instructions for the rotator...

newbies stay tuned, it is coming later this day, it will be easy, but you will need adb shell! :D

Edited by kendon

well, started looking into the reason for my /data/init.sh not being executed, can someone (paul?) clarify this for me (i am using the ramdisk from mcr3.1):

what i found out is that /data/init.sh is started from init.rc in the ramdisk. i see the following:

service init /system/bin/sh /data/init.sh

user root

group root

oneshot
this is similar to the according entries for ramzswap, apps2sd and dropbear. the difference is i see only these entries:
	start ramzswap

start dropbear

start a2sd

from this i get that i need to create an entry "start init" in init.rc, recompile the boot.img and flash that? shoud this be a bug in mcr3.1 then?

i attached the complete init.rc to this post, for reference.

well, started looking into the reason for my /data/init.sh not being executed, can someone (paul?) clarify this for me (i am using the ramdisk from mcr3.1):

what i found out is that /data/init.sh is started from init.rc in the ramdisk. i see the following:

service init /system/bin/sh /data/init.sh

user root

group root

oneshot
this is similar to the according entries for ramzswap, apps2sd and dropbear. the difference is i see only these entries:
	start ramzswap

start dropbear

start a2sd

from this i get that i need to create an entry "start init" in init.rc, recompile the boot.img and flash that? shoud this be a bug in mcr3.1 then?

i attached the complete init.rc to this post, for reference.

Bump to say I'll be able to check when I get home. Few hours maybe.

Bump to say I'll be able to check when I get home. Few hours maybe.

cool thx. in the meantime i tried to do what i explained in the last post, didn't change anything...

edit: i found this: http://android.modaco.com/content-page/299...0/#entry1157632 so that was my mind fooling me there. i have this working as update.zip with autosetup, just need to find a way to run it at every boot...

Edited by kendon