Now that HTC Desire is official, Nexus One owners switch or not to switch?

Guest cezent

What do u guys think?

They two phones looks awfully similar but the added little hardware touches (FM Radio, Optical Trackball, larger RAM) + Sense UI just too hard to resist...Its difficult to imagine Nexus One was out only 1 month ago!!!

The software support from HTC is a big concern though, N1 had the first update within weeks of release, can never expect the same thing from HTC...

Expansys.com got the phone pre-ordered at £449.99, so marginally more expensive than Nexus One taking into account of shipping and tax..

Switch or not to switch??

I'm happy with the N1 and I'm sure we'll see the FM radio and Sense UI on the N1 soon enough one way or another the only real difference will be the optical trackpad and physical buttons!

Guest AndyCr15

Please show where you have it saying the Desire has more RAM? On their official site it doesn't even mention RAM, which I think is because it only has 512/256. That's what the leaked info a few months back said it would be anyway.

There are two reasons to switch I think, the Sense UI and the hardware buttons.

Sense UI will get ported in no time, hardware buttons? Nah, not a big enough reason.

Please show where you have it saying the Desire has more RAM? On their official site it doesn't even mention RAM, which I think is because it only has 512/256. That's what the leaked info a few months back said it would be anyway.

There are two reasons to switch I think, the Sense UI and the hardware buttons.

Sense UI will get ported in no time, hardware buttons? Nah, not a big enough reason.

On HTC's own website.

Desire has 576MB RAM, Nexus One 512MB

http://www.htc.com/uk/product/desire/specification.html

On HTC's own website.

Desire has 576MB RAM, Nexus One 512MB

http://www.htc.com/uk/product/desire/specification.html

The same thing happened with the HD2 that was only showing 512Mb of ram avaialble until the hackers got ahold of it and released the additonal ram up to 576mb

I do love sense but i think that it may fall in to the same trap as the hero has done, stuck on old versions of android whilst htc rehashes sense to work with the most up to date release.

The same thing happened with the HD2 that was only showing 512Mb of ram avaialble until the hackers got ahold of it and released the additonal ram up to 576mb

I do love sense but i think that it may fall in to the same trap as the hero has done, stuck on old versions of android whilst htc rehashes sense to work with the most up to date release.

I suspect that extra bits of RAM is just to run the sense UI..

I agree with u on the software update issue...the bloody hero is running an android 3 generation out of date and still no specific dates of update..

Having said that, the old HTC Magic did receive an option to have Sense UI upgrade, not sure if such option will be in place for Nexus One.

I m wondering given the similarity of hardware between N1 and Desire (in fact most of the hardware features are identical between the two, with Nexus One having a hidden FM Radio somewhere), if a fully functional ported UI can be expected soon? I was pretty reluctant previously with porting Sense to handset not designed for it (such as G1), as you always end up running into some bits and pieces of compatibility issues...

Google better offer some superior software support to make it up to the difference..

Guest PhonePersona

I love Sense UI, but HTC's foot-dragging made it a no-brainer for me to get the N1.

If you're on this site, then there's a strong chance that you're pretty much like me and want your technology current, and readily available.

The HTC Hero is still running a non-optimized version of Android 1.5 (thank God for Modaco Custom ROMS) and they can't even seem to figure out when that will change.

Its like they're competing with Sony Ericsson on who can have the slowest time to market/release.

Fool me once...

Edited by PhonePersona

I suspect that extra bits of RAM is just to run the sense UI..

I agree with u on the software update issue...the bloody hero is running an android 3 generation out of date and still no specific dates of update..

Having said that, the old HTC Magic did receive an option to have Sense UI upgrade, not sure if such option will be in place for Nexus One.

I m wondering given the similarity of hardware between N1 and Desire (in fact most of the hardware features are identical between the two, with Nexus One having a hidden FM Radio somewhere), if a fully functional ported UI can be expected soon? I was pretty reluctant previously with porting Sense to handset not designed for it (such as G1), as you always end up running into some bits and pieces of compatibility issues...

Google better offer some superior software support to make it up to the difference..

I think also that the additional RAM is for the Sense UI too...

I just have switch to the N1 and I'm very happy without Sense (i'm a old HTC Hero owner).

And for the next Android OS update, Google will push it to the N1 very quickly but with the HTC Desire you have to wait until HTC release a new Sense version... the same has already arrived with the Hero - Android 1.5, what a shame for htc!

So, for me, it hasn't any reason to switch.

Guest android_lovah

who has that nice wallpaper from Desire (not necessarily the live one)? i just love it! :D

also, I saw a youtube clip with the desire having a pretty sexy web browser - what was that? looked nice with that safari/iphone-ish progress bar.

PS: i will stick with my N1 for sure. not really a sense fan...

Edited by android_lovah

Guest metatron

If you have already paid out for an N1 and you're in contract (and would therefore have to by the Desire sim free) ... can anyone on here really tell me that a tiny bit of RAM and a trackpad is worth another £450 ? Honestly ???

I expect sense will get ported to the N1, and the FM radio will at some stage make an appearance if it becomes possible, but even so, they are so close in spec and the N1 will get updates far more regularly.

I am usually one of the first in line to go "ooh shiny" and move to the latest and greatest model, and I like sense UI (loved my Hero), but I just can't see there is another £450 worth of benefit here to move to the desire when they are pretty much exactly the same handset ... but I am willing to be convinced if someone can provide a decent argument ... otherwise I just don't get it.

Okay if you are out of contract and you get one free/cheap etc, then good luck, otherwise ... :D

If you have already paid out for an N1 and you're in contract (and would therefore have to by the Desire sim free) ... can anyone on here really tell me that a tiny bit of RAM and a trackpad is worth another £450 ? Honestly ???

I expect sense will get ported to the N1, and the FM radio will at some stage make an appearance if it becomes possible, but even so, they are so close in spec and the N1 will get updates far more regularly.

I am usually one of the first in line to go "ooh shiny" and move to the latest and greatest model, and I like sense UI (loved my Hero), but I just can't see there is another £450 worth of benefit here to move to the desire when they are pretty much exactly the same handset ... but I am willing to be convinced if someone can provide a decent argument ... otherwise I just don't get it.

Okay if you are out of contract and you get one free/cheap etc, then good luck, otherwise ... :D

I think most people uses N1 in UK are not on contract, which makes it slightly easier to switch (i.e. sell Nexus One on ebay and buy Disire somewhere else). I was extremely convinced last year that Bravo was gonna be my next phone having used HERO, but my desire to own another HTC own supported handset just being going down the hill having watched the world moving on to 1.6,2.0,and 2.1...when my Hero was stuck on the old 1.5.

The question is, will Nexus One really gets more support than Desire(from Google , Devs, HTC)? The old HERO despite not getting much support from HTC itself, was pretty good dev handset. I meant its got far more topics and discussions on Modaco than any other Android phones to date.

Another thing is despite the andriod 1.5 on Hero, features in the old Sense UI actually brought the function in par with the current version of Android (pinch to zoom, exchange support, multi account surpports, flash....), and Desire seems to be heading the same direction (with better social networking integration, flash support, pinch-to-card...).

I really dont wanna get fooled by HTC again....

Guest AndiTails

I bought the N1 purely on the fact it will be hacked to death for many many months, if not years, to come.

Just look at the G1 - you can get 2.1 for it, it's still going...

I'm hoping the N1 will be the new generation of 'hackers' choice over the G1 and will be with us for a while.

I'm sure once they get hold of the source code for the Desire, we'll have SenseUI on the N1, with all the speed patches, that will make that extra 64mb RAM irrelevant.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if SenseUI+2.2 or 2.5 or whatever's next gets hacked onto the N1 long long waaaay before HTC pull their finger out and get it on the Desire as an update.

Have faith in the hackers, people :D

Guest sthoeft

Nothing to add, N1 will have theDevs and Google, the hardware is similar nad every ROM from Desire will be ported to N! by someone and the other way around. The main diiference are the trackball and the hardware buttons.

Hopefully the FM Radio will be proted soon (I never used it on my old devices but it'll be nice to have)

Edited by sthoeft

Guest Nesousx

I will definitely stick to the N1.

Being a former HTC Hero (Sense) user, I can't imagine going back to Sense now I tried the N1... and I really loved Sense! I know I just feel Sense has too much stuff I don't use and it just slows down / drain battery. Moreover, for Sense lovers, I am pretty sure Sense will come to the N1 (and none Sense to the Desire).

Only pros on the desire are the physical buttons and the optical trackpoint (at least on the paper, cause I never used one). Biggest pro is the smart dialer from Sense, which should come to N1 anytime soon (I hope).

Edited by Nesousx

Guest Nesousx
you've got to be kidding

the hardware buttons are ugly and sense ui just makes everything laggy

shame about the FM radio though

I don't like capacitive buttons.

Guest vladu932

I miss flash, smartdial and pinch-to-zoom in mail app.

Otherwise I don't like Sense much, at least on my Hero it was laggy (even after several new releases) and most widgets were useless (used only clock with weather and weather itself).

The thing that p%*#ses me off most in N1 is its speaker. I miss calls, can hardly hear GPS announcements while driving and the speakerphone option during calls is simply unusable.

I wonder if HTC Desire has the same problem. If it doesn't, that alone is enough for me to switch.

Edited by dmesg

Guest Paraglider
The thing that p%*#ses me off most in N1 is its speaker. I miss calls, can hardly hear GPS announcements while driving and the speakerphone option during calls is simply unusable.

I wonder if HTC Desire has the same problem. If it doesn't, that alone is enough for me to switch.

For me either!

The Nexus is a damn good phone but the speaker is the worst one I ever had...

Guest slyydrr

The Desire looks nice and SenseUI can be nice as well, but I'm not intrigued. I think I may be a part of the minority that STRONGLY prefers Vanilla over Sense...

Guest is77gal

Since I believe that starting another topic would be useless since here have been discussed pros and cons of N1 and Desire I would kindly appreciate if the users of N1 could tell me what their biggest problems with N1 are(I`m thinking of switching from O2 to N1/Desire). I`ve read about the fact that apps can`t be installed on storage card and that there is a back way to this. I`ve heard many people say that the N1 is so much better than the O2 or HD2 and so, but no one gives explicit motives for this, motives that could help some one like make up his mind.

My mother has an HD2(freaky) and although it`s pretty i don`t enjoy the sense cause it`s a bit to fragmented, having the options so separated(even if it`s convenient) and thus I like more the O2 today screen.

So...what do you hate about the N1(the idiotic mistakes made by manufacturers)? Is it storage, lag, apps, customization, ease of use? help pls

I think Paul's work this week on Desire rom has just made it easier for people considering a switch :D Its ironic that with all the hype about Desire, we nexus one users can effectively have the new phone before it goes on sale :D

All thanks to Paul!

Guest lmjabreu

The reason I bought a nexus was to get as far as possible from HTC, they're hurting android, fragmenting it by not providing timely updates to all devices, old and new, Hero users are(I was) still waiting for a proper 2.1 rom, sad thing is they're not the only vendor doing that.

Nexus, Google on the other hand, will update the Nexus with the latest android has to offer 'cos thy want to avoid fragmentation and because Nexus is still their flagship android phone. I don't wanna mention the user interface and experience disaster the sense ui is, superfluous as well.

Unfortunately I see modaco is including it in their roms and as a premium user I also see there's no way to remove it on a custom build, which leads me to point out the other thing that's hurting android: developers. Probably 70% of android developers never even opened the android user interface guidelines documentation Google provides, apps like Astro File manager are the proof of that with their rainbow icons(ui guidelines provide icon templates and explicitly say there should be no colored icons in the menus).

Well, Paul please consider this. I too love Android and strongly prefer Android as it was designed to be.