I discovered a way to get any app for free in Android Market

Guest Konrad Walsh

Guest Konrad Walsh

Before anything, I am not encouraging this. I am stating this for information purposes. If the MODS feel it's inappropriate, then let me know and I will amend it however you want.

I just wrote an article on my blog about this.

I was doing some routine backup and restore of my apps in between flashing my HTC Hero rom using the awesome Titanium Backup app and came to realize something substantial. If you follow my Twitter feed, you would have noticed the other night I posted that I found a way to get market apps for free. A lot of people asked me how. This is how the other night went.

HERE IS LINK

http://tech-n-life.com/index.php/2010/02/a...-free-a-glitch/

Edited by Konrad Walsh

Guest awarner (MVP)

I am not sure how many people looked at your article as they would have had to leave here to read it.

Once on your site you then have to scroll down to get to the topic, I am gussing this will put a lot of people off.

It is certainly an interesting loophole but surely Google would notice people starting to buy and instantly ask for refunds especially if they are doing it on a regular basis? I have never used the Android market so do not know the returns policy.

Guest Carl_Brummy
oh right... i thought it wouldnt be allowed to either repost here or provide a link...

There is of course a risk that Google could block you completely from the market place. :(

You cannot assume a connection every time you run an app, so a real-time live market check would not be feasible, and would create additional overheads on an already overcrowded cell data network... :(

However, if the market data on the device is updated to show the purchase status, why cant the application verify this on each run of the app? :(

The developer could choose to limit functionality or quit. I know if you have a rooted phone you could still 'tweak' the market data yourself but would it really be worth all the pain. I know it kind of puts the onus on the developer to protect their own app, but what other option is there? This kind of thing hurts development, as the real losers are the developers who have put time and money into bringing an application to the market.

Just my thoughts... :(

Carl.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Konrad Walsh
There is of course a risk that Google could block you completely from the market place. <_<

You cannot assume a connection every time you run an app, so a real-time live market check would not be feasible, and would create additional overheads on an already overcrowded cell data network... :D

However, if the market data on the device is updated to show the purchase status, why cant the application verify this on each run of the app? :(

The developer could choose to limit functionality or quit. I know if you have a rooted phone you could still 'tweak' the market data yourself but would it really be worth all the pain. I know it kind of puts the onus on the developer to protect their own app, but what other option is there? This kind of thing hurts development, as the real losers are the developers who have put time and money into bringing an application to the market.

Just my thoughts... :mellow:

Carl.

interesting... if anything then it shows developers a path they need to consider travelling

Guest battletank
interesting... if anything then it shows developers a path they need to consider travelling

I notice that CoPilot only activates premium functionality 10 days after purchase (i.e. after period allowing refunds has expired). Sounds like the simplest solution, although one that is not particularly convenient for the consumer.

Edited by battletank

Guest venturerider
I notice that CoPilot only activates premium functionality 10 days after purchase (i.e. after period allowing refunds has expired). Sounds like the simplest solution, although one that is not particularly convenient for the consumer.

Well, there ya go! This is how stealing makes life miserable for others.