GPS Lock Time Fix

Guest Repairman2003

Guest Repairman2003

Hey guys! I made a simple app that will apply the registry settings described in the post from the i9x0 board to decrease the GPS lock time to under a minute. It'll let you type in the values you want for the 3 settings. In case you've seen the post, there is an additional registry key that does not exist in the CDMA version of the phone, so I've left it out of the application.

When you run the app, it'll prompt you to enter 3 values: Delay, Input Buffer, and Output buffer (All 3 settings are explained in the Help screen as well as the recommened values). The current values displayed are the values currently set by default that are read from the registry. Just update the values to what you want and hit save. Do a soft reset and you're done!

FixGPSLock.CAB

Thanks Repairman, you made my day! I was able to quickly change the settings recommended in the "Help" section, and Google Maps 4.0 on my Omnia (using the CF03 Verizon ROM) got lock in under a minute. The settings i used were 5ms, 512 bytes input buffer, and 512 bytes output buffer.

Guest MrSmoofy
Hey guys! I made a simple app that will apply the registry settings described in the post from the i9x0 board to decrease the GPS lock time to under a minute. It'll let you type in the values you want for the 3 settings. In case you've seen the post, there is an additional registry key that does not exist in the CDMA version of the phone, so I've left it out of the application.

When you run the app, it'll prompt you to enter 3 values: Delay, Input Buffer, and Output buffer (All 3 settings are explained in the Help screen as well as the recommened values). The current values displayed are the values currently set by default that are read from the registry. Just update the values to what you want and hit save. Do a soft reset and you're done!

Does this work on the i910?

Guest MrSmoofy

Well I tried it doesn't help any. oh well guess I can't expect a miracle would be nice if I didn't have to wait 10-15 min to get a lock

Guest Repairman2003
Well I tried it doesn't help any. oh well guess I can't expect a miracle would be nice if I didn't have to wait 10-15 min to get a lock

Odd.. What settings did you use? I can consistently get locks under a minute with 0ms delay and 512 for the input/output buffers.

Guest tedkord

I had the same experience. I set the recommended settings, and I don't get a lock any faster. I'm not looking at 10-15 minutes like you, but I'm always 5-8 minutes for a cold lock. I think the GPS receiver/antenna in the i910 is just crap, and there's not much you can do about it. If I'm using a program like igo8 while driving, I will constantly lose the GPS signal, sometimes taking up to 5 minutes to get it back. Bad hardware can't be fixed by software.

Edited by tedkord