Moving on to Nexus One

Guest commodoor

Guest Dr. dre
I might get the SE X10 though... depends on if there's guarantees of upgrading the ROM to 2.1.

SE is very slow at updates I had SE X1 before, they were so slow on bringing updates.

Guest commodoor
Well, not really T9. Just the spell-correction on the onscreen keyboard. Maybe I'm used to smaller devices but I type really fast on them and really rely on the auto-correction.

The same as the iphone, that keyboard is useless if you don't have any sort of correction on it.

My typing speed on the OSK simply _halves_ when there is no dictionary activated.

Ok i get it, i tried it but i typ in multiple language and then its really irritating, i mean if i typing dutch it corrects it to English, and if the dictionary is on dutch i get the same problem so i have to keep switching. thats why i dont use it and it goes well for me, i don't make that much mistakes while typing.

SE is very slow at updates I had SE X1 before, they were so slow on bringing updates.

What updates hahah no, just kidding. i always used custom ROMs on x1. i even made my own ROMs with the latest releases and my own customisation, I never released it to the public it was al for myself :(

Guest Dr. dre
What updates hahah no, just kidding. i always used custom ROMs on x1. i even made my own ROMs with the latest releases and my own customisation, I never released it to the public it was al for myself :(

I sold that phone like 3 months ago and I thought this time i'll go with HTC because I thought they must be good with updates. But same here.

Edited by Dr. dre

Guest volatile_ink

Signed up to a 24 month contract in Sept. 09. IMHO, I can't see the point in upgrading to the nexus. When my contract ends there'll undoubtedly be something that will make the nexus one look like a Nokia 3310. Don't really see the point (unless your a Dev) to pay through the nose every few months for a new device. Until I can upgrade, the Hero is doing just fine. :(

Edited by volatile_ink

Guest venturerider

Agreed. The Hero is fine and with 2.1 coming it will be fully compatible with all the new goodies. With MCR3.1, I have a very responsive device that has outstanding battery life, and I see no reason why MRC 4.0 (?) would be any different.

A year or so from now, when I get the itch to upgrade, there will be devices out there that will completely outshine the N1. And as soon as I buy one of those new devices, it will immediately become obsolete :(

Guest commodoor
Signed up to a 24 month contract in Sept. 09. IMHO, I can't see the point in upgrading to the nexus. When my contract ends there'll undoubtedly be something that will make the nexus one look like a Nokia 3310. Don't really see the point (unless your a Dev) to pay through the nose every few months for a new device. Until I can upgrade, the Hero is doing just fine. :(

Yhea but it will keep going, you buy a new phone 6 months later there is a new better one. soon we will see dual core cpu in phones. why i moving is because of the ram and screen size.

Agreed. The Hero is fine and with 2.1 coming it will be fully compatible with all the new goodies. With MCR3.1, I have a very responsive device that has outstanding battery life, and I see no reason why MRC 4.0 (?) would be any different.

A year or so from now, when I get the itch to upgrade, there will be devices out there that will completely outshine the N1. And as soon as I buy one of those new devices, it will immediately become obsolete :(

yhea you are right you have to have really a lot of money to keep buying new phones. or what you can do is you buy a phone use it for 3 months and sell it before new model comes out for maybe 50 bucks off. and buy a new phone with putting a little sum of money. and keep doing that. this is the best way to keep track. tough this is not what i do or will do, after nexus i want to settle down a little with changing phones.

Guest unchainedrssr

I feel the same way but, with all the promise shown so far, I went ahead and bought one w/o a contract. My contract is up in Dec. and I am already qualified for an upgrade so if something really nice shows up in T-Mo USA by then, I can still pick it up at a reduced price.

Currently I still use my G1 (Dream) to check out the latest ROMs. The devs are still working wonders with this phone! Apple seems to be putting out the multi-tasking capabilities of the new iPhone quite a bit through AT&T commercials. It's funny that the G1 has had those capabilities for so long now. :(

Guest commodoor
I feel the same way but, with all the promise shown so far, I went ahead and bought one w/o a contract. My contract is up in Dec. and I am already qualified for an upgrade so if something really nice shows up in T-Mo USA by then, I can still pick it up at a reduced price.

Currently I still use my G1 (Dream) to check out the latest ROMs. The devs are still working wonders with this phone! Apple seems to be putting out the multi-tasking capabilities of the new iPhone quite a bit through AT&T commercials. It's funny that the G1 has had those capabilities for so long now. :(

I rally admire the G1 to bad it has to low space (ram) but its still a great phone and i think it will be a collecters item :(

i am a bit pissed off right now. i have noticed that you see people like paul, teknologist and amon_ra (to name just a few) less and less in the hero forums every day since the n1 came out. it sucked already that there were like hundreds of roms and other features for the g1, but that was not to bad. now the few devs we had are leaving, don't expect to much for the hero in the future. sure we will get a decent running eclair rom, but that's about it. the g1 aswell as the n1 both are booting debian and openmoko natively by now... not to speak of stable 2.1 roms. the nexus one forum at xda has roughly half the number of posts as the hero forums, with less than two months of availability. if i could spare the money i would get the n1 right now, but i can't. i hope that i can get a good deal with the desire, once it is available.

did someone say overclocking? afair the n1 runs stable at 1.1 -1.2 ghz, i have yet to see prove of an overclocked hero...

Guest commodoor
i am a bit pissed off right now. i have noticed that you see people like paul, teknologist and amon_ra (to name just a few) less and less in the hero forums every day since the n1 came out. it sucked already that there were like hundreds of roms and other features for the g1, but that was not to bad. now the few devs we had are leaving, don't expect to much for the hero in the future. sure we will get a decent running eclair rom, but that's about it. the g1 aswell as the n1 both are booting debian and openmoko natively by now... not to speak of stable 2.1 roms. the nexus one forum at xda has roughly half the number of posts as the hero forums, with less than two months of availability. if i could spare the money i would get the n1 right now, but i can't. i hope that i can get a good deal with the desire, once it is available.

did someone say overclocking? afair the n1 runs stable at 1.1 -1.2 ghz, i have yet to see prove of an overclocked hero...

I feel you bro,

I know like i said before the hero Dev just dropped death. but i think this is HTC fault, we never saw the right drivers that made it just to hard to develop hero (even the aosp don't work), what i think is that the android is more build on the G1 (1.x) and N1 (2.x) and that's what makes it easy. the Hero didn't get far thats to bad, you are right if the developers succeeded a little more(no offense to the devs) i wouldn't go for the nexus but for desire or even stayed with Hero. its just too bad Paul did great things it maked my hero Fly but now he is Down and can't get up anymore :( hahah just to funny srry.

i see more future in N1 than in the Hero, maybe the 2.1 will bring more goods to hero, but I'm leaving and selling my hero.

Edited by commodoor

Guest volatile_ink
i am a bit pissed off right now. i have noticed that you see people like paul, teknologist and amon_ra (to name just a few) less and less in the hero forums every day since the n1 came out.

You said exactly what I was thinking. I know that the Dev's work on these projects free of charge and don't ask much in the way of donations. But if I do donate, I'd at least expect to have the ROM's maintained for a short while. Like I said not everyone wants or can afford to upgrade to the latest and greatest devices. It will be interesting to see what the community provides after 2.1 gets released and how long the ROM's will be maintained.

Let's check the N1 forums in a few months, we'll probably see N1 users having the same discussion. Keep up the good work Dev's :(

Guest commodoor
Let's check the N1 forums in a few months, we'll probably see N1 users having the same discussion. Keep up the good work Dev's :(

Maybe you are right maybe not, but i think paul can't do more on the Hero 1.5 we have to wait for the 2.1 release. And paul also let us know (from twitter) he didn't forgot us. so what the hero users have to do is just wait. some devs are still working to get aosp 2.1 work probarly, but they are not in succeed it just doens't work. when HTC release the 2.1 hero there will be devs going to work on it.

Guest TheAshMan

I was having thoughts about the same thing..Nexus with Sense or Desire.

I'm probably getting the Nexus One. HTC will stop making updates for the Desire eventually, and you'll be stuck with that Android version due to their closed-source drivers.

With the Nexus you have a much better chance of getting quick and regular updates, plus the amount of custom dev going into seems incredible.

The Hero has been a great phone, but in terms of development it has been a major let down with us being stuck without the newer Android (and it's compatible apps) for about 3-4 months with delayed release dates. I won't miss the UI so much, there's loads of cool stuff to be available - look at Tat Home! I like the Mail app, but I can get used to alternatives. Other widgets and stuff I hardly use, I just put them on to make the phone look a bit prettier but they're not at all necessary for me. The only thing I'll really miss is the HTC keyboard which is awesome.

I'm hoping to get a N1, not put Sense on it and just try getting used to non-Sense Android. If I really miss Sense, well there'd still be the option of installing a ported Desire ROM anyway! Can't go wrong either way.

When the updates stop for Desire, you won't be able to update Android - unless you port a N1 ROM, but I mean look at all devs struggling to get 2.1 without sense working on a Hero. I think N1 is the safer and more future-proof option.

Edited by TheAshMan

i am a bit pissed off right now. i have noticed that you see people like paul, teknologist and amon_ra (to name just a few) less and less in the hero forums every day since the n1 came out.

I can relate to your feelings, but I think Paul doesn't want to waste time working on this 1.5 ROM anymore when the 2.1 ROM is approaching. I joined MoDaCo Plus because of the work Paul was doing with the ROM. I also think he's aware others may have joined because of the same reason I did and he won't abandon us.

As for the Nexus One, I would love to get one but I don't have money to burn. HTC is releasing phones at a feverish pace that my cash flow cannot match.

i'm sorry if someone misunderstood me, i am in no way angry at those people i named or anybody else in particular, i'm pissed off with the situation. looking back maybe it wasn't the best decision to get the hero (got it like six months ago). my "problem" was: i got it at an incredible deal with a contract most people would envy me for :( so i had to get it. i'll check the selling situation i think, also thinking about trying to get a cheap g1 for experimenting (and in that case keeping the hero of course).

as for the desire-not-being-updated theory: i was building on the theory that it is mainly a nexus in htc dress, and that making it equal concerning updates. we'll see how that turns out...

Bring on 2.1 for Hero I say. IMHO, we're all getting a little tetchy with nothing new to flash.... :(

although there is some truth in your words i caught myself thinking "who is going to do the kernel patches once the source is out?" today... not like nobody else than teknologist or paul could do it, don't get me wrong, but it's not like it is only those two that have already "left" us...

Guest volatile_ink

Good point. I'm not a dev (or even a programmer!) but I can appreciate the vast amount of work and effort it would take to create/modify, test and support kernals, roms, recovery roms etc for one device let alone a hand full... I expect 'old' devices will get the odd update here and there but the main focus will be on whatever is hot off the press at HTC. Shame. :(

Is there a refund button for that £9.99 (I like ad's :().

Guest The_IMF
Good point. I'm not a dev (or even a programmer!) but I can appreciate the vast amount of work and effort it would take to create/modify, test and support kernals, roms, recovery roms etc for one device let alone a hand full... I expect 'old' devices will get the odd update here and there but the main focus will be on whatever is hot off the press at HTC. Shame. :(

Is there a refund button for that £9.99 (I like ad's :().

£9.99? I tried to be a "Hero" and got the Plus membership for £29.99... I haven't quite figured out what's so special about having a plus membership... some secret download location perhaps? I dunno :(

Come on people... You should have guessed that sooner or later Paul and the rest of the gang would have to move along! I don´t think that they "abandoned" us, but all of us know that there is not much else to do with the current "updates" from HTC... Nexus is new and good for playing, and we know that current Hero status wont allow much more development!

And Paul alone supported 90% of development on Hero!

Anyway, on the topic now... I pre-ordered HTC Desire last week... Waiting for April now.

Edit: I don't regret my £10... The real alternative to stock rom was MCR, witch brought a new life to my Hero.

Edited by lysin

Come on people... You should have guessed that sooner or later Paul and the rest of the gang would have to move along! I don´t think that they "abandoned" us, but all of us know that there is not much else to do with the current "updates" from HTC... Nexus is new and good for playing, and we know that current Hero status wont allow much more development!

Anyway, on the topic now... I pre-ordered HTC Desire last week... Waiting for April now.

Edit: I don't regret my £10... The real alternative to stock rom was MCR, witch brought a new life to my Hero.

I'd love to think there may be a 'surge' in interest when the update comes out (the forums have been getting rather empty these days :() Maybe not though...

Guest volatile_ink
£9.99? I tried to be a "Hero" and got the Plus membership for £29.99... I haven't quite figured out what's so special about having a plus membership... some secret download location perhaps? I dunno :(

It would appear that currently Plus is only beneficial if your a WinMo user.

Edited by volatile_ink

Guest commodoor

I agree with that, there is nothing to do anymore on the android 1.5. i Mean what would you wanna change on the herom except getting 2.1, paul doesn't work with aosp and maybe a smart decision to. But right now the hero is working at his best with 1.5. i mean there is really nothing to do anymore on the hero there will be more here if the 2.1 comes out.

Guest commodoor
It would appear that currently Plus is only beneficial if your a WinMo user.

yhea but it also says it will soon be more goodies for android users, even there is already a lot of stuff.