i8000 wm6.5 gpsfix

Guest Henti

extra was turned downloaded, but it didnt helped. until somehow it started to work again, i dont know what happend. after it I copied the fixed dll to windows again, manually, and the gps became far more sensitive, thanks for the fix.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dande

Although seems not working on some people and I was from the people that I thought there is no deference in the beginning during few tests,

after (I don't know how) this started to work really very good.

I used to work with it in B1 Phone part and worked very good.

I though to upgrade to B2 version phone part and even right after flashing it fixed the location in 5''.

It's amazing fast to fix a location from cold/hot start.

I have three Navigation apps and two for logging gps traces and I use them all the time. They fix in 5'' or in worst case in 10".

I don't understand what's wrong for some people and the worst, I can't help.

Big THANK YOU to Vagus!

Edited by dande

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jawso
Although seems not working on some people and I was from the people that I thought there is no deference in the beginning during few tests,

after (I don't know how) this started to work really very good.

I used to work with it in B1 Phone part and worked very good.

I though to upgrade to B2 version phone part and even right after flashing it fixed the location in 5''.

It's amazing fast to fix a location from cold/hot start.

I have three Navigation apps and two for logging gps traces and I use them all the time. They fix in 5'' or in worst case in 10".

I don't understand what's wrong for some people and the worst, I can't help.

Big THANK YOU to Vagus!

Weird, maybe it's 'cause I haven't actually started a subscription to any provider yet (still a virgin phone), with everything enabled properly and the .dll installed I still get absolutely no satellites regardless of where I place the phone (atm I'm right next to a giant window with an unobstructed view of most of the sky). Is it possible that you have to register the phone with Bell (in my case) before the GPS data is able to be understood? The GPS receiver works (or says it's connected anyhow) within iGO. Google maps is the same prob. 0 satellites found.

Guest asus535

Read below text from post #9 or readme file. weird driver needs a SIMCARD. Just barrow from a friend and tried with it, without using xtra first

(2) Do not forget to insert your simcard, and do not use use your phone as a standalone GPS device.

weird gps driver needs simcard (I don't mean internet connection, or Xtra).

Weird, maybe it's 'cause I haven't actually started a subscription to any provider yet (still a virgin phone), with everything enabled properly and the .dll installed I still get absolutely no satellites regardless of where I place the phone (atm I'm right next to a giant window with an unobstructed view of most of the sky). Is it possible that you have to register the phone with Bell (in my case) before the GPS data is able to be understood? The GPS receiver works (or says it's connected anyhow) within iGO. Google maps is the same prob. 0 satellites found.
Edited by asus535

Guest jawso
Read below text from post #9 or readme file. weird driver needs a SIMCARD. Just barrow from a friend and tried with it, without using xtra first

I do have a simcard installed (it came in the phone box), I just haven't activated the phone yet. I posted this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here in case it's of help to somebody in the same situation later on, but while I get 0 satellites found here (at home) outside, or inside near a window - at work, I turned the phone on on a whim and bingo, 4 satellites within seconds and that's without having done ANYTHING else to the phone. It makes me think that cellphone reception (even though the phone itself isn't activated) somehow plays a role as I have TERRIBLE reception at home out in the boondocks, yet pretty decent reception at work. Weird damn phone.

Guest jawso
I do have a simcard installed (it came in the phone box), I just haven't activated the phone yet. I posted this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here in case it's of help to somebody in the same situation later on, but while I get 0 satellites found here (at home) outside, or inside near a window - at work, I turned the phone on on a whim and bingo, 4 satellites within seconds and that's without having done ANYTHING else to the phone. It makes me think that cellphone reception (even though the phone itself isn't activated) somehow plays a role as I have TERRIBLE reception at home out in the boondocks, yet pretty decent reception at work. Weird damn phone.

Confirmed, i turned the phone portion of the phone (if that makes sense) off in the wireless menu and couldn't use the gps at all. The second the 'phone wireless' was turned back on, I picked up satellites again....this would explain why I couldn't get any satellites at home, my cellphone reception is garbage.

[edit] thanks to JH787 I'll add the info here too for posterity in case others find this helpful.

Have you checked what mode you have the gps in?

It should be in standalone.

Type *#1472365# in to phone and go to settings\gps

That was it!!! I'd been in there before, but obviously didn't turn on/off the right things. I had to tweak a couple settings in the XTRA submenu in addition to putting it in standalone as you suggested, but I now have a functional GPS w/out having activated the phone. Thank you VERY VERY VERY much!!!!

Edited by jawso

• 2 months later...
Guest darkhelmetnl

Just tried it outside.

Didnt seem to work. Didnt have a lot of patience for the first fix.

But Googlemaps, Garmin and TomTom didnt get a fix.

Garmin was able to see satelites. I tried nogarder gps (*#1472365#) and it didnt seem to get a fix quickly. Also visible sats popped on and off the display.

I suppose garmin will work to get a fix in aprox 5 minutes. It did with the original DLL and reg settings. I have the XXJC1 ROM btw

Will try tomorrow when i have some navigation to do on the road

Edited by darkhelmetnl

Guest martenzite

Thank you mate.

It worked like a charm for me even when assisted gps turned off.

Only installed gpsfix.

I am using original rom and route 66 for gps.

Guest CrescendoFire

This fix is NICE!!!! Thanks.... ^^

Much stronger sat signal.... Usually my Omnia2 struggles to get one sat signal inside my car.

Guest Hiroshi.Rio

Very nice improvement. Thanks a lot! :)

Vagus, by the way, is there any skin or hack mode to iGO2006 to run it at 400x800? :roll:

Guest uniserve

Hi Vagus,

You are my hero. I have got my new Samsung Omnia II two months ago. I am happy with most of it except the GPS performance. But after installed your gpsfix, the GPS sensitivity is greatly improved. The tracking of GPS is now seconds instead minutes.

Thanks very much for your work and sharing.

Guest Darius P.
Any reason?

new phone part has been corrected for faster and stable gps fix.

JF1, extra enabled.

Igo8

cold start - less 30s.

warm start - less 10s.

plus better sat reciption.

tested and confirmed.

Guest pbasiros
new phone part has been corrected for faster and stable gps fix.

JF1, extra enabled.

Igo8

cold start - less 30s.

warm start - less 10s.

plus better sat reciption.

tested and confirmed.

Is it possible to upgrade only the phone part and keep the others (PDA part, CSC and bin)

Guest telemach

I had patched dll and other mods, after changing phone part to JF5 I experience serious problems with GPS, some hangups, freeze and bad accuracy. I don't say you will have the same but I'm changing ROM, doing HR and will test this new phone part on newest builds.

Guest nutpantz

just installed manually on canada bell i8000

defiantly increases sensitivity

however it used to keep a lock when i went into the garage

now it loses the fix with in 5 feet of the door inside

i used to be able to walk around inside with out issue and stay locked

nutz

Guest stmoo

wow.. first time in my use of Omnia2 that get GPS lock so fast. previously need to use Franson Gpsgate.

thank.

BTW i just copy the auto install cab file (i8000 GPSfix.cab) and run it from the folder in my storage and install on device.

Guest stmoo

wow.. first time in my use of Omnia2 that get GPS lock so fast. previously need to use Franson Gpsgate.

thank.

BTW i just copy the auto install cab file (i8000 GPSfix.cab) and run it from the folder in my storage and install on device.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest digi_sys
Hi Vagus,

You are my hero. I have got my new Samsung Omnia II two months ago. I am happy with most of it except the GPS performance. But after installed your gpsfix, the GPS sensitivity is greatly improved. The tracking of GPS is now seconds instead minutes.

Thanks very much for your work and sharing.

Hi - Would u be king enough to give me some step by step instructions on uploading this file onto my i8000. Wut of done so far is used Winrar to decompress the file. I got an automatic install folder with GPSfix.cab. Wuts the next step. Do i use a device like Resco Explorer to upload to the unit? Is it a simple copy paste to the windows directory of the i8000? Can i leave or rename the original file? Any info will help.

Guest asus535

it is said that, Galaxy S (Android) has gps problems. Look

Thank you vagus for your contributions to WM community.

Samsung makes me angry because they are using unknown or low quality gps chips in their phones. If software (driver) fails, don't expect to be a fix from them.

We know the name of the gps chip in iphone4 (Broadcom BCM4750), but not in i8000 (Maybe one of These )

There is a speculation that S Galaxy S (SGS) uses new Broadcom 20751: Link

I wish Samsung use dedicated gps chips such as latest sirf or mtk (low power) chips as Asus did in Asus P535.

I think they use combined chips which may also doing FM radio or even GSM operations. Cheap method but quality depends on manufacturers software or hardware accomplishment.

There is even the possibility that, some of the gps chips are defective, or have different brand names. You know, some i8000 users aren't complaining about pgs performance, strange.

Edited by asus535