UI Walkthrough

Guest Snow02

I know I've borrowed a lot of ideas over the past few months while trying to figure out what combination of UI elements works best for me. I've finally settled in on a layout for awhile. So, I made a video walkthrough, with short segments on a couple of commonly used apps, and my thoughts on why I've included the things I did.

Video

Updated Info:

My titaniuim weather icon set installer

Instructions on start menu shortcuts (Post #25)

My Animated Weather Program (USA Only)

SMS Skins And a tip: I do have my scrollbars turned off which makes the sms skinning much nicer. I thought it was a detriment when trying to scroll through the file explorer, but you can pull up the keyboard and tap "a" to go to files that begin with the letter a, and the same for other files. Makes it cleaner and still lets you manage long lists easily. There's also the well-known issue with the scrollbar in 6.5.3 when using the samsung dialer. Being able to skip ahead in file explorer really removes the only drawback to having no scrollbar.

To skin start menu icons:

Go to HKLM\Security\Shell\StartInfo\Start

Open the key with the name of the link or folder you want to make/change the icon for

If there is a string named icon, change the value to the path of the icon you'd like to use.

If there is no key named icon, make a new string named Icon and add the path

If there are any spaces in the file name be sure to use "" around the link.

For example: "\windows\example icon.png"

\windows\example_icon.png does not need quotes

Restart the phone for the changes to take effect. I've included my icons attached to this post. There are also a couple of custom links in the folder as well.

Icons_and_Shortcuts.zip

Edited by Snow02

Guest JasonMania

That is a nice UI man , I want it , can you tell us what you used to make it , and your configurations and stuff . Or a step by step guide.

Yet better if you can make it into a .cab ,and we all can use it , I will be grateful.

What ROM do you use btw?

Guest dgmorland
I know I've borrowed a lot of ideas over the past few months while trying to figure out what combination of UI elements works best for me. I've finally settled in on a layout for awhile. So, I made a video walkthrough, with short segments on a couple of commonly used apps, and my thoughts on why I've included the things I did.

Video

Looks good. In your video you mentioned app launcher for Titanium. I also use Titanium and adjusted the AppLauncher that is part of Contable skin so that 5 icons display in Titanium. Swiping left and right shows other pages with 4 more icons on each page. This means I can launch apps from within Titanium and have multiple clickable icons on each page. This is what it looks like.

post-592942-1267562814_thumb.png

Guest lupus_hegemonia

It's great to sharing your own layouts and such... But this is a forum ("agora"), a place to changing thoughts/ideas.

Are you need medals? Why don't you sharing with us what you did?

Guest Snow02

Thanks for the replies. If there's anything in particular you want to know (such as the start menu shortcuts, etc.) about, just ask. It's stock Titanium, so there's no major layout changes. As such, it's not something that can be easily put into a cab. Primarily it's organization that yields the benefit of usability. I'll post everything I think is pertinent in the next day or so (custom shortcuts, etc.)

Most of it was done with CHome editor (although the icon skinning is in the registry, I'll include that as well.)

Guest speedfrog
Thanks for the replies. If there's anything in particular you want to know (such as the start menu shortcuts, etc.) about, just ask. It's stock Titanium, so there's no major layout changes. As such, it's not something that can be easily put into a cab. Primarily it's organization that yields the benefit of usability. I'll post everything I think is pertinent in the next day or so (custom shortcuts, etc.)

Most of it was done with CHome editor (although the icon skinning is in the registry, I'll include that as well.)

can you put everything you have done with the UI in a cab and share it? plz :(

Guest Snow02
As such, it's not something that can be easily put into a cab.

But I can answer any specific questions. If there's anything you saw you would like to implement, I'd be happy to help. Again, I will include as many files as is practical in the next couple of days for anyone to look through (cpr, registry changes, start menu, custom links, etc.).

Guest silvos3189

hmm first question I want to ask...

which rom are you using?

lol and does that 6.5.x rom have problems with some apps?

Edited by silvos3189

Snow,

great UI and Config.

three questions:

1) Which ROM are you using? Your device seems pretty fast compared to mine (6.5.5 UL from kstan)

2) Which software are you using for all those transition effects?

3) How did you manage to get small text in messaging? Mine looks terribly large!

Thanks for sharing the info!

Guest redzone321

how did you get Titanium to not scroll. thats my biggest beef. i want it fixed in place like you have.

also I tried to find FVM and could not could you provide a cab?

Guest Snow02
how did you get Titanium to not scroll. thats my biggest beef. i want it fixed in place like you have.

also I tried to find FVM and could not could you provide a cab?

I'm using a 6.5.x 23529 build on an i920. It does seem pretty speedy. It's one of the reasons I'm using the stock Titanium because whenever I added a theme it seemed to slow down a bit.

Which transition effects?

Small messaging text is probably controlled by text size, which you can change in Settings-System-Screen-Text Size.

I don't have any problems with apps in 6.5.x. Anything in particular this is in reference to?

To get the Today screen to not scroll, in the Titanium cpr, change TitaniumListView to BronzeListView (I think there's two locations near the top). And obviously, you can't put anymore panels on there than will fit.

Fusion voicemail can be downloaded here (signup for account necessary). I made a cab from my device attached below. No promises on whether or not it will work. As you need to sign up for an account anyways (this can be done on 6.5 ROM from within the program, 6.5.x will not let you and you must sign up online) you might as well visit the web link. It's also available in the windows marketplace.

Fusion_VM.zip

Edited by Snow02

Guest levytv

i have read thru the 241 pages on the vzw forum and have read all your posts. watching your handiwork is very very impressive. is there any chance you would write roms? thanks for all your contributions on all these different forums. great work.

Guest frente69

I was just wondering how you got the start button at the bottom of the screen? I reflashed to 6.5 today thinking that it defaults to having start button at the bottom and the neat notification at the top only to be presented with the standard start button on the top left layout. What gives?

Guest Snow02

That would probably be the best distribution medium. As this isn't really a theme as much as just my set of customizations, it's hard to release as a cab install, due to the resulting dead links due to not everyone having the same programs installed. I'll look into it when I get some time.

The video was really meant more as a display peice than a demonstration of a ready made install. And then to field any questions if anyone wanted to know how to implement anything in particular. At least for me, sometimes I don't get an idea until I see something that triggers it. That was kind of what I was going for here. Thanks for the reply, levy.

Edited by Snow02

Guest Snow02
I was just wondering how you got the start button at the bottom of the screen? I reflashed to 6.5 today thinking that it defaults to having start button at the bottom and the neat notification at the top only to be presented with the standard start button on the top left layout. What gives?

It's a 6.5.3 ROM. You have to install one for that start button style.

Edited by Snow02

Guest dgmorland
To get the Today screen to not scroll, in the Titanium cpr, change TitaniumListView to BronzeListView (I think there's two locations near the top). And obviously, you can't put anymore panels on there than will fit.

Thanks for that tip - I like the non-scrolling version you have and have changed mine too. I noticed that this resulted in the top of the clock icon on the SClock panel being chopped off at the top - yours does this too in I saw in your video. To fix it so that the image doesnt get chopped I edited the SPlugins_490x800.cpr file and changed the positioning of the images at the right so that they are slightly lower and dont get cut off. The lines in bold were the ones I edited.

<Layer ID="SClockExpanded" Visible="False" Width="480" Height="164" Clip="False">

<Layer ID="Page" Clip="False">

<!-- Icon in the upper right-->

<Image ID="Icon" Left="376" Top="-6" Width="86" Height="117"/>

<Image ID="IsAlarm" Left="430" Top="48" Width="48" Height="84"/>

<Image ID="Home" Left="376" Top="48" Width="32" Height="56"/>

<!-- Title text -->

<Text ID="Network Name" Left="20" Top="110" Width="348" Height="30" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="8" FontStyle="Regular" Wrap="False" VerticalAlignment="Top" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter">

<TextStage TextOffsetType="TextOffsetDropBottomRight" Color="#00000000" TextOffset="1" BlurFactor="3" Alpha="1.0"/>

<TextStage TextOffsetType="TextOffsetNone" Color="#FFFFFFFF"/>

</Text>

<Text ID="City" Left="20" Top="90" Width="348" Height="36" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="7" FontStyle="Regular" Wrap="False" VerticalAlignment="Top" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter">

<TextStage TextOffsetType="TextOffsetDropBottomRight" Color="#00000000" TextOffset="1" BlurFactor="3" Alpha="1.0"/>

</Text>

<!-- Time -->

<Text ID="Time" Left="20" Top="10" Width="186" Height="90" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="28" FontStyle="Regular" Wrap="False" VerticalAlignment="Top" HorizontalAlignment="Right" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter">

</Text>

<!-- AM/PM -->

<Text ID="AMPM" Left="226" Top="36" Width="142" Height="36" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="8" FontStyle="Regular" Wrap="False" VerticalAlignment="Top" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter">

</Text>

<!-- Date -->

<Text ID="Date" Left="226" Top="66" Width="142" Height="36" FontFamily="Tahoma" FontSize="8" FontStyle="Regular" Wrap="False" VerticalAlignment="Top" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter">

</Text>

<!-- Alarm -->

<Image ID="Alarm" Left="428" Top="48" Width="34" Height="60"/>

</Layer>

Guest Snow02

Yeah. Good tip. It didn't bother me enough to fix. I'm probably going to just remove that image entirely and re-design the whole CClock panel at some point.

Guest somato

That's a fantastic UI! Definitely inspired me to make a few changes to mine, but the one thing I really like are your titanium links to the start menu folders. Any chance you'd share the script, or at least explain what it contains? As I am relatively new to winmo, I unfortunately haven't done learned how to do much with mortscript yet. <_<

Guest Snow02
That's a fantastic UI! Definitely inspired me to make a few changes to mine, but the one thing I really like are your titanium links to the start menu folders. Any chance you'd share the script, or at least explain what it contains? As I am relatively new to winmo, I unfortunately haven't done learned how to do much with mortscript yet. <_<

Yep, the three I use are attached . They work by simulating screen taps. This image shows the coordinate layout (x, y) as denoted by the yellow dots in the corners. You can edit the mscr files with notepad.

So, if you're using 6.5, you'll have to adjust the script to tap the top left, as opposed to the bottom left. As for the start menu, that means a particular script will open the icon at a specific spot on the screen. Adjust the script or icon location accordingly. Don't be scared of it, it's three lines and self-explanatory. Let me know if that's not clear or if you have any questions.

Template:

Mouseclick (x,y)

Sleep (500)

Mouseclick (x,y)

coordinates.png

Shortcuts.zip

Edited by Snow02