720p playback in omnia II ?

Guest Ender Psp
Is it possible? i heard core player 2.0 is coming but it cant play 720p fluidly =(

Very much doubt it. It would pretty much depend on the codec, but even so, right now Touch player barely handles DivX @ 720x480. Handling double the content would require twice the power and some really nasty optimizations for O2. AVC is totally out of the question. On top of that, coreplayer's coders said there won't be any major support for O2. Don't get your hopes too high on coreplayer 2.

Guest Chad Petree
Very much doubt it. It would pretty much depend on the codec, but even so, right now Touch player barely handles DivX @ 720x480. Handling double the content would require twice the power and some really nasty optimizations for O2. AVC is totally out of the question. On top of that, coreplayer's coders said there won't be any major support for O2. Don't get your hopes too high on coreplayer 2.

o2?

Guest jacobgong

The only reason I have CorePlayer in my memory is because it's tiny, and in case there exists a format it actually play at full speed.

If you use it all the time, I'm sorry but it just seems stupid to me, the samsung stock player is much more power efficient and finger friendly.

Guest Chad Petree
The only reason I have CorePlayer in my memory is because it's tiny, and in case there exists a format it actually play at full speed.

If you use it all the time, I'm sorry but it just seems stupid to me, the samsung stock player is much more power efficient and finger friendly.

the new version seems better than the stock player, the old coreplayer interface is crap to me xD

Guest lantony

guys, even the latest vers. of coreplayer doesnt support the hardware acceleration of Omnia2, so stick with Touchplayer (that unfortunetly doesnt support all the video formats that Coreplayer does)

Edited by lantony

Guest Chad Petree
guys, even the latest vers. of coreplayer doesnt support the hardware acceleration of Omnia2, so stick with Touchplayer (that unfortunetly doesnt support all the video formats that Coreplayer does)

why wont it support hardware acceleration for the o2? o2 is one of the best/most powerful windows device out there, they should optimize it for it =(

Guest Ender Psp
the new version seems better than the stock player, the old coreplayer interface is crap to me xD

What new version? 2.0 isn't out yet, and 1.3.x branch doesn't use O2's onchip optimizations.

As I said, 2.0 won't support O2 either, read their forum.

To be honest, I like Touchplayer more, the only problems are multiline subtitles and various filetype support, like mkv.

And I'm still hoping Samsung isn't producing just sales, but good support too. Realistically... I doubt it.

Edited by Ender Psp

Guest Chad Petree
What new version? 2.0 isn't out yet, and 1.3.x branch doesn't use O2's onchip optimizations.

As I said, 2.0 won't support O2 either, read their forum.

To be honest, I like Touchplayer more, the only problems are multiline subtitles and various filetype support, like mkv.

And I'm still hoping Samsung isn't producing just sales, but good support too. Realistically... I doubt it.

yep 2.0 at least from what i've seen . What concerns about samsung is they release TOO MANY phones, and by logic they can't concentrate on fixing the bugs and improving performance since they have so many phones =(

Guest qtilt

why would anyone use coreplayer anyways? TCPMP supports more codecs, has better video quality (no pixelation), and plays videos much faster (50%-70% increase over coreplayer). The only thing it doesn't have is internet streaming capabilities, for that use coreplayer.

Guest Krecik2002

Anyways, why would anyone want to play 720p movies on a smartphone (besides proving that's possible)? There would be no quality gain as the movie resolution is a lot bigger than device's screen and a single movie would occupy gigabytes of precious storage space (transferring it over USB cable would also take ages). Maybe there would be some sense if tv-out supported displaying stuff bigger than screen resolution but it doesn't.

Are you people too lazy to convert your movies to lower resolutions, or download smaller versions for watching in a phone?

Guest teamkillexpert
Anyways, why would anyone want to play 720p movies on a smartphone (besides proving that's possible)? There would be no quality gain as the movie resolution is a lot bigger than device's screen and a single movie would occupy gigabytes of precious storage space (transferring it over USB cable would also take ages). Maybe there would be some sense if tv-out supported displaying stuff bigger than screen resolution but it doesn't.

Are you people too lazy to convert your movies to lower resolutions, or download smaller versions for watching in a phone?

I would say if my phone plays 720p, I would totally use this function. But I would like it to play anything below 480P at full speed first, like any format at all.

but the only ones it plays without lagging or burning is a certain group of DviX and MP4 H.264.

Guest dwallersv
I would say if my phone plays 720p, I would totally use this function. But I would like it to play anything below 480P at full speed first, like any format at all.

but the only ones it plays without lagging or burning is a certain group of DviX and MP4 H.264.

Not sure what the problem is with your phone.

CorePlayer plays Xvid 800x450 high quality video transcoded using MeGUI, flawlessly @ a full 24 or 29.97fps (depending on the material). No skips, jumps, missed frames, etc.

CP streams really nicely from my Orb server too, which is how I usually access media anyway... transcoding, downloading takes too much time, effort, and storage space. And, due to the latter, is very limited in terms of entertainment choices.

OTOH, I have 6 terabytes of movies, TV shows (all commercial free :(), music, pictures, that I can access from anywhere in the world where I have a data connection. At 350kbps, I get a pretty good quality 500x281 wmv stream from Orb for video, which is more than sufficient on a small screen like the O2, zoomed to fill the screen.

If I'm really jonesin' for the max full resolution for something (usually a movie), I transcode it down to 800xH (H will depend on the source media aspect ratio) and watch it with CorePlayer.

BTW, with CP be sure and use DirectDraw (Video settings page), and only Overlay with colorkey (Direct Draw settings page), overlay format Auto. DO NOT use blitting! The latter will result in jerky video, looking very much like CP just can't keep up with decoding the material.

Also, when transcoding shoot for a bitrate around 700-800bps. It's real hard to see improvement with higher bitrates -- I can, but I have to be looking for it, which when I'm actually watching something, I'm not doing, but rather paying attention to the entertainment, so generally don't notice artifacts that are cleaned up by higher bitrates (like large black regions).

Guest teamkillexpert

CorePlayer plays Xvid 800x450 high quality video transcoded using MeGUI, flawlessly @ a full 24 or 29.97fps (depending on the material). No skips, jumps, missed frames, etc.

CP streams really nicely from my Orb server too, which is how I usually access media anyway... transcoding, downloading takes too much time, effort, and storage space. And, due to the latter, is very limited in terms of entertainment choices.

OTOH, I have 6 terabytes of movies, TV shows (all commercial free :(), music, pictures, that I can access from anywhere in the world where I have a data connection. At 350kbps, I get a pretty good quality 500x281 wmv stream from Orb for video, which is more than sufficient on a small screen like the O2, zoomed to fill the screen.

If I'm really jonesin' for the max full resolution for something (usually a movie), I transcode it down to 800xH (H will depend on the source media aspect ratio) and watch it with CorePlayer.

BTW, with CP be sure and use DirectDraw (Video settings page), and only Overlay with colorkey (Direct Draw settings page), overlay format Auto. DO NOT use blitting! The latter will result in jerky video, looking very much like CP just can't keep up with decoding the material.

Also, when transcoding shoot for a bitrate around 700-800bps. It's real hard to see improvement with higher bitrates -- I can, but I have to be looking for it, which when I'm actually watching something, I'm not doing, but rather paying attention to the entertainment, so generally don't notice artifacts that are cleaned up by higher bitrates (like large black regions).

show me RMVB and MKV

We don't use DviX in China, because RMVB will give you about the same quality with half to one-third the size.

We also don't use MP4 too much, except for 1080P high bit rate releases, or for PSP support. I'm not sure why we prefer MKV, maybe it has better built-in subtitle support.

Edited by teamkillexpert

Guest Chad Petree
b]Are you people too lazy to convert your movies to lower resolutions

I AM !!!! :(

Edited by Chad Petree

Guest dwallersv
show me RMVB and MKV

We don't use DviX in China, because RMVB will give you about the same quality with half to one-third the size.

We also don't use MP4 too much, except for 1080P high bit rate releases, or for PSP support. I'm not sure why we prefer MKV, maybe it has better built-in subtitle support.

MKV (matroska) is simply a container. It has nothing to do with the codecs used to encode audio and video. So, it really isn't a factor in performance or quality. It is simply a question of whether or not a player supports this container, and CorePlayer does. TouchPlayer does not.

Divx/Xvid are based on the h.263 spec. I mention Xvid simply because it is a free, public domain codec -- and a damn good one. Note that CP also supports h.264 as well as a slew of other codecs.

Regardless, the question wasn't whether or not CP could play RMVB. It was about CorePlayer playing video smoothly without dropping frames. That's what I was responding to.

Xvid will work just fine in China, just like here in the US <_< If you want full-screen resolution with smooth playback, you can get it by simply transcoding your video to Xvid, 800 wide, @800kbps. I recommend the MeGUI free, public domain coding front-end -- it's easy to use, can encode with xvid or x264, is very configurable for those more expert or want to tweak and play with parameters, but comes with a large set of pre-set profiles for quick encoding.

MeGUI can wrap the A/V -- whatever codecs you choose -- in AVI, MP4, or MKV containers.

Anyway, I sound like a salesman here, and that's not my intent. I'm simply an A/V enthusiast/hobbiest, spend time over on doom9.org (probably the premiere amateur A/V tech site), so I know a bit or two about these things. I've even written a few tools myself.

If you insist on RMVB, I can't help you. If you just want to watch your video on your phone, you don't need RMVB, there are other quite good alternatives. And if you want max resolution, high quality video, CorePlayer is the only solution I'm aware of that can handle 800W media, so h.263 (Xvid/Divx) with CorePlayer is your best choice to get there.

Guest teamkillexpert

I don't want to argue about containers and codecs, I'll just tell you I already knew that. I don't really care what the true reason might be because there is no way I can fix it anyway. the fact is when I try to play a MKV file, it won't. either because it doesn't support the container, the video, the audio or the resolution. I don't care. It still doesn't work regardless of the true reason.

Sure you can always make the phone play anything if you transcode it into a proper format, but if that's what I should be doing, the phone can only support one format and nothing else. That is not the point to use a bad looking player. I might choose to use a bad looking player because it plays more formats that I need. if it doesn't there is no reason to use it.

so If I need to transcode my RMVB files to play in Coreplayer, it defeats the purpose of using it in the first place. I can just transcode it into something else which TouchPlayer plays. and I'm sure it will play longer on battery power.

Edited by teamkillexpert

Guest Chad Petree

so whats the best we can get from touchplayer? 480 x 800 for 16:10 files and 480 x 854 for 16:19 and which bitrate? . i'll be using mostly MPEG-4 AVC or VC-1

Edited by Chad Petree

Guest Ender Psp

Can you please share your settings? Video codec, settings for it etc.

My comparison encodes tested in Coreplayer and Touchplayer put Touchplayer each time in front and I did use the video settings you suggested (for video rendering - found them via trial and error). And I did about 50 videos, various codecs each with many bitrates. I only tested 720x480 video resolution, but that shouldn't matter much (it either works or not). What I found was that where Coreplayer stutters, Touchplayer plays perfectly.

And as I said in another thread, you can always stream copy the video stream from one container to another. Example: from MKV to MP4 (which Touchplayer supports) without any loss of quality. (not sure if MeGUI does, but XVID4PSP does for sure).

I used to praise Coreplayer but when I saw that they don't even plan offer support for chips that support hw decoding (like S3C6410 - the one in Omnia 2) I stopped caring about it.

Guest dwallersv
Can you please share your settings? Video codec, settings for it etc.

My comparison encodes tested in Coreplayer and Touchplayer put Touchplayer each time in front and I did use the video settings you suggested (for video rendering - found them via trial and error). And I did about 50 videos, various codecs each with many bitrates. I only tested 720x480 video resolution, but that shouldn't matter much (it either works or not). What I found was that where Coreplayer stutters, Touchplayer plays perfectly.

And as I said in another thread, you can always stream copy the video stream from one container to another. Example: from MKV to MP4 (which Touchplayer supports) without any loss of quality. (not sure if MeGUI does, but XVID4PSP does for sure).

I used to praise Coreplayer but when I saw that they don't even plan offer support for chips that support hw decoding (like S3C6410 - the one in Omnia 2) I stopped caring about it.

Okay... attached is an export of the AVS and video encoding presets I created for the OmniaII. These can be imported into MeGUI and used to transcode for full 800w resolution, playable in CorePlayer flawlessly.

The following two links are 2 minute samples I just transcoded, that you can try out for yourself. One is 720w and playable in both CP and TP. Plays identically on my O2, no skips, pauses, or errors of any kind; smooth, all frames played (look at Media Properties to see if any frames were dropped). Visually, I can detect no flaws or differences between the two players.

The second is a full resolution, 800w sample of the exact same material. This will only play in CP, as TP does not allow anything bigger than 720w. Again, on my O2 plays flawlessly in CP, and of course is slightly visually better (I can see a little more detail than I can with the 720w version in either CP or TP).

MeGUI is not a "transcoder for dummies" converter; it tries to be "one-click", but isn't that simple. For example, before using MeGUI, you have to use one of the supplied tools to demux the audio stream out of the source container so that it can be processed seperately. Learning these few additional steps is not rocket science, and I'll be happy to post a detailed step-by-step guide if people here want to start using MeGUI for their transcodes.

http://www.4shared.com/file/235638282/57ba...sample720w.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/235639485/75ef...sample800w.html

OmniaII_MeGUI_Profiles.zip

Edited by dwallersv

Guest dwallersv

I would agree with you if CP were as bad for me as you seem to be experiencing. However, I am not having any problems with smooth, flawless transcoded video on CP, so accelerator support is irrelevant; it wouldn't make any difference (for h.263 codec). Given the other advantages CP has over TP in terms of features and flexibility (zooming, containers, aspect ratio adjustment, and on and on and on), and the fact that I can play higher resolution video, CP beats TP hands-down.

TP has an edge in the on-screen UI, but for me this just isn't important enough to use it over CP. Also, it's a fair assumption that CP 2.0 will be at least as well performing as 1.3.6, and will have some good improvements for touchscreen UI.

TP is much better with h.264 encoded material. CP can't keep up. It is a much more CPU intensive decode. However, with 16GB storage cards, and 32GB nearly here, the moderate size savings of 264 vs 263 are not worth it in my judgement compared to what you must give up in features by using TP instead of CP.

Guest Ender Psp

Many thanks for your reply and sorry everyone for the slight offtopic.

Will test with your settings, but I for one I'll stick to x264 for the quality/space benefits (mainly quality).

I'll keep an eye on CorePlayer but for now, my encodes will continue to be x264, I do agree with you about x263 but I also think that CorePlayer's staff should consider hardware support where it's due (not only Omnias have hw support). It's like not using mmx/sse* when you do have access to optimizations.

As for the benefits, I think most people would like to just copy that video to the phone and just play it (that's where Coreplayer rulez), but those who know better just convert/transcode to the desired/useful format/resolution.