720p playback in omnia II ?

Guest dwallersv
No even core player can play videos at that resolution?

Indeed CP can, and the proof is just a few posts back... download the sample I posted and see for yourself.

@Ender Psp: I agree with you completely about the stupid decisions by CoreCodec about supporting the advanced hardware in the O2. I'm pissed that they've decided not to (at this time). I also agree that 264 is a better choice for quality, generally.

The only place I'd differ is this: Both 263 and 264 can produce indistinguishable quality from each other with appropriate encoding parameters; under such circumstances, the difference will be file size.

On a device with 16-bit color, even these quality differences at comparable bitrates are tough to see unless you're really trying to. Add a little more real resolution (800w vs. 720w) and these differences are a wash, for files about the same size.

I'm making a practical, utilitarian case here. Like you, I'm not happy with the situation with CP, 264, and the O2. However, setting aside these emotions, one can get a better experience, IMO, with CP and the appropriate encoding than can be had with TP.

This is, of course, a matter of opinion. At the gradations we're debating, it is a lot of hair-splitting, really on a device like a PPC.

In any case, anyone that wants to head down the CorePlayer/MeGUI path, speak up and I'll post some details.

Guest jacobgong

personally I say TP is better if you're going to transcode your videos anyway. sure you can play videos over 720X480. but it's UI is far less appealing, which is important to me, I hate that 2005 style skin, and I don't think there is ANY good looking skin.

Guest redzone321
Indeed CP can, and the proof is just a few posts back... download the sample I posted and see for yourself.

@Ender Psp: I agree with you completely about the stupid decisions by CoreCodec about supporting the advanced hardware in the O2. I'm pissed that they've decided not to (at this time). I also agree that 264 is a better choice for quality, generally.

The only place I'd differ is this: Both 263 and 264 can produce indistinguishable quality from each other with appropriate encoding parameters; under such circumstances, the difference will be file size.

On a device with 16-bit color, even these quality differences at comparable bitrates are tough to see unless you're really trying to. Add a little more real resolution (800w vs. 720w) and these differences are a wash, for files about the same size.

I'm making a practical, utilitarian case here. Like you, I'm not happy with the situation with CP, 264, and the O2. However, setting aside these emotions, one can get a better experience, IMO, with CP and the appropriate encoding than can be had with TP.

This is, of course, a matter of opinion. At the gradations we're debating, it is a lot of hair-splitting, really on a device like a PPC.

In any case, anyone that wants to head down the CorePlayer/MeGUI path, speak up and I'll post some details.

please share your encoding settings with us

Guest redzone321

please share your encoding settings with us

Guest sungshing

hmm...tried play downloaded movie (avi/xvid) directly with default player..very smooth no problem at all.

.Inglourious.Bastards resolution 640x272 @ 1257kbps

G.I.Joe.The.Rise.Of.Cobra. resolution 640x272 @ 1718kbps

gotta place your video on mystorage though...don't think those class 2 microSD is fast enough for high bitrate video..<_<

Guest teamkillexpert
hmm...tried play downloaded movie (avi/xvid) directly with default player..very smooth no problem at all.

.Inglourious.Bastards resolution 640x272 @ 1257kbps

G.I.Joe.The.Rise.Of.Cobra. resolution 640x272 @ 1718kbps

gotta place your video on mystorage though...don't think those class 2 microSD is fast enough for high bitrate video..<_<

lol wut? 1718kbps is "high bitrate"? I know this is a mobile device but still, I consider 20,000kbps + "high". and all standard res videos "low"

good cards will give you a couple of mega bytes per second, which is plenty for any video you can play on the phone. and don't expect the built-in to be much or even any at all, faster than a card.

Guest sungshing
lol wut? 1718kbps is "high bitrate"? I know this is a mobile device but still, I consider 20,000kbps + "high". and all standard res videos "low"

good cards will give you a couple of mega bytes per second, which is plenty for any video you can play on the phone. and don't expect the built-in to be much or even any at all, faster than a card.

oh well...maybe you have 42" phone..but for my tiny omnia2 that's already an overkill...lol

Guest dwallersv

Remember gang, bitrate scales with quality AND resolution. In the case of resolution, it scales pretty linearly with pixel count.

So, a high quality 720p encode, at 720x1280=921,600 pixels, will play with the same quality on the O2 with 39% of the original bitrate, scaled and transcoded for the hardware (800x450=360k pixels -- you do the rest of the math).

So an 800kbps encode is equivalent to a 2kbps 720p encode, or a 4.6Mbps 1080p encode.

All very good quality bitrates for the dimensions listed.

Also, keep in mind that when you are using an undersized or oversized source, and make it fill the screen, you're also making the device do extra work to perform a quality resize, which is likely bilinear or bicubic (simple pixel duplication or decimation produces pretty ugly results and artifacts).

So, to get the best performance and quality out of local content played on the phone, it really pays to transcode for the platform. If you have a decent modern CPU, especially a Quad Core (I'm on a Quad Extreme @ 3.5Ghz), transcoding is pretty fast. Once you learn the steps, it's really no work to speak of. Just need to remember to launch it off before you need the material.

Edited by dwallersv

Guest dwallersv
personally I say TP is better if you're going to transcode your videos anyway. sure you can play videos over 720X480. but it's UI is far less appealing, which is important to me, I hate that 2005 style skin, and I don't think there is ANY good looking skin.

To each his own.

I'm far more interested in what I'm watching than the UI. To this end TP is very limiting. It has no ability to deal with aspect ratio issues, ability to zoom and completely fill the screen, play mkv containers, and on and on. Sound enhancement is limited to the very basic options provided, while CP uses the generic DirectShow architecture, so things like the far better and configurable SRS WOW add-on (as distinct from the completely unconfigurable SRS WOW feature in TP) are usable while watching with CP.

Color profiles, full multiband equalizer, volume normalization... I could go on and on and on. From a feature standpoint, there is no comparison at all.

Yes, the translucent on-screen controls of TP are nice. I wish CP had something like that. Yet, it's really not a big deal, as buttons on the phone can be assigned within CP to be hotkeys for start/stop, prev, next, (and practically everything else available as features in the program), and these assignments are only active in CP, so whatever you've set them to as system-wide functions isn't interfered with outside of CP. With hotkeys assigned, it's just as easy to control the player.

And even that isn't really necessary if you're using a bluetooth headset to listen, which has controls of its own.

Bottom line, anyone that is interested enough in video quality to even ask these questions seems strange, to me, to not be clamoring for all the audio/videophile features available in CP, and absent from TP. I'm very picky about my media experience, both video and audio, and I haven't found any player comparable on balance to CP for video media.

I use Pocket Player for music. Again, feature rich, far superior to TP in a long list of ways, especially library organization and access. The only thing I've found attractive about TP are the accelerated video decode support (which is irrelevant if a video plays frame-skip-free on another player), and the sexy GUI. Since I spend a fraction of total time using the GUI, and the bulk listening and/or watching, I give support by the software for maximizing the actual audio/video experience the most priority.

YMMV.

Guest teamkillexpert

well I go for max quality on my desktop, because I will never run into problems like insufficient performance. I can pretty much use as many filters as I like even when playing full HD 1080P videos with software decoding, with no battery problems as well.

also, the player I use doesn't have a 2005 style old school UI, and even if it does it won't take up half of the screen. plus I can change all the settings on another monitor while watching my stuff full screen on my main monitor, with a mouse and keyboard, instead of trying to press some small text on a touchscreen with my finger.

As for audio I use Foobar 2000 which has a really bad windows 98 style UI, but it doesn't really matter, because It doesn't have to be finger-friendly as I don't use a touchscreen. Nor does it have to be black because power is not an issue and I don't use an OLED monitor.

now none of these is true for my phone. so unless no compromise needs to be made, I only expect basic functions like TP does, good looking UI, and long battery life.

Guest dwallersv

Did I forget to mention that CP streams and TP doesn't? Yes I did!

This too is critical for me, as I have 7 terabytes of media on a server at home that I stream with Orb. Inaccessible with TP.

Guest dwallersv
well I go for max quality on my desktop, because I will never run into problems like insufficient performance. I can pretty much use as many filters as I like even when playing full HD 1080P videos with software decoding, with no battery problems as well.

also, the player I use doesn't have a 2005 style old school UI, and even if it does it won't take up half of the screen. plus I can change all the settings on another monitor while watching my stuff full screen on my main monitor, with a mouse and keyboard, instead of trying to press some small text on a touchscreen with my finger.

As for audio I use Foobar 2000 which has a really bad windows 98 style UI, but it doesn't really matter, because It doesn't have to be finger-friendly as I don't use a touchscreen. Nor does it have to be black because power is not an issue and I don't use an OLED monitor.

now none of these is true for my phone. so unless no compromise needs to be made, I only expect basic functions like TP does, good looking UI, and long battery life.

Was this snarky rant really necessary?

We are, after all, in the Omnia II forum, not a PC forum.

Guest teamkillexpert
Was this snarky rant really necessary?

We are, after all, in the Omnia II forum, not a PC forum.

nor do I recall Omnia II having 7 tetra bytes of memory.

Guest absolutshame

I have to stick with TP for one major reason. I watch my movies stored on my O2 on my standard 37" tv and I also stream movies to my PS3 via Connected Home when I watch them on my DLP. The Omnia 2 doesn't allow Core Player to display thru TV-Out so it's useless for me.

Guest teamkillexpert

are you kidding me you play video on a 37" with a phone? my tv isn't impressive but it certainly has a lot more pixels than what a phone can give.

Guest Chad Petree

Geez we all agree that core player ui is shittttt but forget about that old version, we're talking about the new ui which looks pretty slick ! 2.0

Edited by Chad Petree