Is the multitouch on Nexus 1 faulty? I think so...

Guest d1mitrov

Guest commodoor

Ok i couldn't wait and gave it a try, i used the same app that is discussed here. here are my findings

It doesn't take inverse of my touch. it still snaps when you are close to the line, i'm wondering if its because this app. it took the inverse when i put two fingers and turned it 180 degrees and 360 degrees but anyways who uses the touch this way. but the touch is indeed improved and works great.

EDIT: Ok i just played a little longer and keeped inversing again. WTF it worked great but playing a little longer made it inverse again. sure its not a bug in this app? I think the problem is by snapping those lines. it only inverse when it snap and you move move up or down

Edited by commodoor

Guest craigacgomez
Well I heard that the problem is not visible with the program:

Multitouch Visualizer

But I havent seen a video yet... My N1 is still on its way from GB, so maybe someone might want to test that? <_<

See comments here: http://www.androlib.com/android.applicatio...lizer-pFCE.aspx

[edit]

My first post :mellow: Hello world, hello forum :(

I've tried Multitouch Visable Test and MultiTouch Visualizer from the market and noticed that MultiTouch Visualizer does not have this problem which Multitouch Visable Test has... so if the software is developed correctly, I guess there really isn't a problem... check out this link:

http://www.androidcentral.com/throwing-fue...multitouch-fire

Guest Aspergillus
I've tried Multitouch Visable Test and MultiTouch Visualizer from the market and noticed that MultiTouch Visualizer does not have this problem

How can you see it with this app. MultiTouch Visualizer does not show wich 2 of the 4 points are touched..

Thats why you cant see the switching with this app!

Go and try the App "Pong Multi Touch" from the market .. and then you see even more Problems than the simple switching..

-when you touch one finger left and the other rihght. Then only move your left finger up and down.. you'll notice that allways when your left finger is about the same hight then the right one.. moving the left finger will move the rigth touch point also..

This is because N1 Touchscreen sensor delivers only 4 Values but is not able to determine wich of them belong together.

For Pinch and Zoom this is compleatly irrelevant.. But not for games such as Pong...for example..

Regards Aspi

Edited by Aspergillus

Guest Kilack
How can you see it with this app. MultiTouch Visualizer does not show wich 2 of the 4 points are touched..

Thats why you cant see the switching with this app!

Go and try the App "Pong Multi Touch" from the market .. and then you see even more Problems than the simple switching..

-when you touch one finger left and the other rihght. Then only move your left finger up and down.. you'll notice that allways when your left finger is about the same hight then the right one.. moving the left finger will move the rigth touch point also..

This is because N1 Touchscreen sensor delivers only 4 Values but is not able to determine wich of them belong together.

For Pinch and Zoom this is compleatly irrelevant.. But not for games such as Pong...for example..

Regards Aspi

I just downloaded that game and yeah it really shows up the problems of the nexus one. The authors comment for the app in the market is that the game won't run on htc phones because "those have limited hardware and only support pinch&zoom multi touch"

Absolutely shocking really, am really disappointed in the phone and my first experience with android. Am really wishing now I had bought an iphone instead. I love somethings about android but its main problem is the lack of development by big studios and with issues like this with the flagship phone it certainly won't bring the game developers flocking. Am amazed google could put something like this out there.

Guest commodoor

i think the problems is in snapping. because if it snap and then you move away it gets confused and reverse your input. i hope that google can improve a little with a software update.

Is this with all the HTC phones??

Guest Aspergillus
Is this with all the HTC phones??

As far as i know : Yes.

Its a Hardware or a Driver Issue. Lets Hope its only a Hardware Driver Issue.. but i'm affraid its a Hardware Sensor Issue..

So it will not be fixable by Software at all..

Because if the sensor only gives 2 Y Coordinates and 2 X Coordinates and does not capture wich of the two belong together.. Than its very difficult to fix it by Software.. You could then determine wich 2 Coordinates belong together by timing (wich is probably done allready).. but as soon as you move two points so that either x or y is same for both coordinates.. the software wont be able to determine wich two belong together and if the sensor it sef does not do that.. it will never be possible to fix it by software.

And of course it is easyer to build a Sensor like this than one that keeps track of it.. So it is higly possible that it is a Hardware issue.

Regards

Aspi

But m8s... you all bought the phone when it was said it does not have Multitouch support. Now it has Pinch&Zoom MT support.. so allready more than what was promised initially.

Edited by Aspergillus

Guest commodoor

Its a Hardware or a Driver Issue. Lets Hope its only a Hardware Driver Issue.. but i'm affraid its a Hardware Sensor Issue..

Because if the sensor only gives 2 Y Coordinates and 2 X Coordinates and does not capture wich of the two belong together.. Than its very difficult to fix it by Software.. You could then determine wich 2 Coordinates belong together by timing (wich is probably done allready).. but as soon as you move two points so that either x or y is same for both coordinates.. the software wont be able to determine wich two belong together and if the sensor it sef does not do that.. it will never be possible to fix it by software.

And of course it is easyer to build a Sensor like this than one that keeps track of it.. So it is higly possible that it is a Hardware issue.

Regards

Aspi

thnx for the reply

But m8s... you all bought the phone when it was said it does not have Multitouch support. Now it has Pinch&Zoom MT support.. so allready more than what was promised initially.

I'm not complaining i like my phone and works well for me, i don't play games on it and use only for pinch&zoom that's enough for me. i bought this phone for his horse power and not for its multi touch. I'm jsut curious at these things

Guest commodoor
I hope so!

Waiting for MCR 1.9 which should include the "fix".

I tried that ROM but had the same problem again not that often as before, but like i stated earlier it gets confused after the snap. they have to find a way (if its possible though) to disable the snap. if its hardware based than it would be impossible unless you change your touch sensor <_<

but again its a leak so maybe it will be better in full release

Edited by commodoor

Guest Nesousx
I tried that ROM but had the same problem again not that often as before, but like i stated earlier it gets confused after the snap. they have to find a way (if its possible though) to disable the snap. if its hardware based than it would be impossible unless you change your touch sensor <_<

but again its a leak so maybe it will be better in full release

Thanks for your input. However it kinda makes me sad.

Guest Kilack

Regards

Aspi

Well that is not true, i bought it because it has multitouch, the google apps weren't but google had always said developers could use the mutltiouch screen.

I also didn't buy my phone until after the multitouch update came out from google. I wouldn't have bought it had I known it was crippled multitouch though.

I am really undecided what to do, love the phone despite some annoying little things but I still think this problem is pretty major. I just wish google would come out and be honest and upfront and say whether they can do anything about it or not.

Edited by Kilack

Guest Nesousx

I did my own video showing the weird behavior, be warned, this is kind of "old school" :

The phone lays on a table, and I use my finger in a "strange" way in order to make sure I don't press the screen while holding the phone (because I have been told so, on French forums, while explaining my "bug").

Guest Nesousx

I just did a new video showing my bug (pinch to zoom instead of scrolling).

Here is a screenshot showing my "setup": phone laying on the table, and "locked" thanks to two boxes.

p1000320n.th.jpg

Here is "the" video:

You don't see much on the video... but it is enough, I guess, to show my bug.

Guest tropmonky

the "bug" appears to be just part of the so called multitouch...... the N1 will never have more than dual multitouch, and I'm really kinda pissed/bummed that even the iPhone 2G has better multitouch...

Why would someone (HTC/Google) not use true multitouch on their supposed "superphone"? I can only take ONE guess, cost...

Guest commodoor
I just did a new video showing my bug (pinch to zoom instead of scrolling).

Here is a screenshot showing my "setup": phone laying on the table, and "locked" thanks to two boxes.

p1000320n.th.jpg

Here is "the" video:

You don't see much on the video... but it is enough, I guess, to show my bug.

Wow it was never that bad for me, i'm really shocked seeing that video. I tried the smaen thing as you did, zoom out with the zoombuttons and then scroll it didn't happen. its really weird

Guest tropmonky

Yeah, I have all kinds of issues with the touchscreen on this phone.

I've noticed that the screen sometimes registers touches even though my finger hasn't touched the screen yet. I have experienced this with my iPhone 3G as well, just far far less often. The N1 screen seems to be much more sensitive to the electrical field coming off the finger and I'm guessing that field can change (i.e. static electricity buildup). When I'm typing fast the phone acts as if I have two thumbs touching the screen ALL the time because I keep my thumbs pretty close to the screen and just the fact that when you're typing one tap from another in succession means that your thumbs/fingers are close to the surface all the time anyhow. This creates the issue with the screen where I get characters on the keyboard being pressed catty-corner to where my fingers are.

If a software fix can make this phone a pleasure to type on I'll be sooooo happy! :-Þ

Oh yeah, check out this video for kicks... LOL

Edited by tropmonky

Guest hefeglass

ive always noticed that this phone has the worst user experience compared to the iphone...and THIS is certainly the reason why. Im extremely dissappointed in google/htc for using such poor quality digitizers in their phones...for the price of this device, it should be using the top quality hardware...and perform as well as the iphone!...but it doesnt

Guest coolVariable
ive always noticed that this phone has the worst user experience compared to the iphone...and THIS is certainly the reason why. Im extremely dissappointed in google/htc for using such poor quality digitizers in their phones...for the price of this device, it should be using the top quality hardware...and perform as well as the iphone!...but it doesnt

I can't believe how this phone can still get such good press with all these issues abound.

Google really needs to get their act together.

There are some things that are absolutely awesome about android and this phone ... but other areas are a DISASTER!

Really tempted to return it within the 14 day period.