shouldn't there be another class of ROMs ?

Guest teamkillexpert

Guest teamkillexpert

Right now I see 3 classes of ROMs :

Ultra Lite, you then have to find and install everything or you won't even be able to like listen to music.

Ultra bulky, these will be so heavily customized you can't do further customization because you can't uninstall what comes with the ROM.

Official, with these you have to go through the same settings every time, delete stock pictures every time, and a million other tasks you've already done millions of times.

Shouldn't there be another type of ROMs that are just polished official ROMs? for example:

useless start menu items deleted, like getting started, or just the "phone" shortcut or whatever junk there is.

useless startup programs cleared.

settings, like touch sound disabled, and GPS com port to 7

useless files/programs removed, like stock ringtones, maybe except the classic bell one. stock pictures and musics removed, junk programs like the unusable microsoft my phone due to outdated version. (maybe add in the newest version). or IE, nobody uses it anyway.

There should be absolutely NO customizations, no color icons, no fancy titanium skins, no SPB no S2U2 no lock pro or whatever, and no titanium modifications either.

There should be NO missing useful programs, no missing Touchplayer, or Photos, or Large indicator, or volume control. maybe not everyone use them but unlike non-functional programs, some people do use these.

btw app idea: another auto rotate idea.

just a little program with no interface. At lunch, check G-sensor and compare with current screen rotation.

If matched, send OK/Close button

If not matched, rotate to current rotation

close program.

link this button to the ok/close button and it'll be gold. It has the benefits of both autorotate and manual rotation, plus you don't have to hold the button to rotate, and you'll have an extra button to spare.

You will probably find that most chefs are swamped with enough versions as it is, but you could try sweet talking someone into cooking a custom ROM just for you.

Good luck!

Guest Crezymunky

+1 to first post. Most of us are not completely comfortable with the extreme mods made, but are looking for a rom that has the hard reset annoyances removed. I personally would like to see 6.5 (official Samsung upgrade) with all fixes. not sure i'm down for the unofficial 6.5.x ones though....

Edited by Crezymunky

Guest teamkillexpert
You will probably find that most chefs are swamped with enough versions as it is, but you could try sweet talking someone into cooking a custom ROM just for you.

Good luck!

well do you use Internet Explorer? do you keep the "Getting started" shortcut in your start menu? do you use any default wallpaper or ringtones? do you use the QIK application? do you even know what it does? do you make calls with the "Phone" shortcut in start menu?

if you do, maybe I was just trying to get a ROM for my self.

Edited by teamkillexpert

well do you use Internet Explorer? do you keep the "Getting started" shortcut in your start menu? do you use any default wallpaper or ringtones? do you use the QIK application? do you even know what it does? do you make calls with the "Phone" shortcut in start menu?

if you do, maybe I was just trying to get a ROM for my self.

I know what you mean theres either heaps of stuff removed/ customized or not enough but sometimes somethings cant be removed for example you will not be able to connect to the internet at all if you remove internet explorer thats why every ROM has it and me I personally hate it, I use opera. With the wallpaper I dont use the standard ones but I was surprised to see that a lot of people do use it and thats where the issues start where some want this and others want that and from a chefs point of view it can get frustrating and the thing is that there are so many builds that come out then you have to re-cook all those ROM's again to keep up with the demand. Im using the i900 by the way and there used to be NEO titanium roms all the time but now theres only 1 chef that cooks it in and he was going to give it up at one stage.All the other chefs have given up on cooking more versions, now we usually only get ultra lite and M2D and every now and then a FAT ROM.

I wish I could cook up my own ROM but I'm afraid to brick it the only things that im able to do is make icons and try and beautify what I have.

Edited by Sb.

Guest teamkillexpert

It is exactly because people have different demands, that you don't make ultra lite or ultra bulky ROMs. there should be one that is as close to official as possible, but with mods that everyone will absolutely do. whatever those might be.

I personally prefer ultra lite with as little as possible so I can install just whats necessary and thats what most people seem to be going for aswell. There was a few people asking for an original rom but its loaded with too much useless stuff and most people are using other UI's apart from titanium so they need the extra memory without all those apps that never get used.

To be honest these days im flashing and reinstalling programs more than anything else it seems neverending as theres sometimes 3 builds per week and your hoping that its better than the last but unfortunaltely sometimes your taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. You always read comments like "oh its super fast" etc etc and in reality theres no difference but you only find this out when you test the rom itself. I also find myself switching between chefs like crazy trying to find which one has the right amount of apps/visuals that appeal to me.

If you dont flash very often and are happy with 1 certain build im sure you could ask a chef to cook you a custom rom if he has time or some will do it for a small donation.

Cheers.

Guest skoda60
Right now I see 3 classes of ROMs :

Ultra Lite, you then have to find and install everything or you won't even be able to like listen to music.

Ultra bulky, these will be so heavily customized you can't do further customization because you can't uninstall what comes with the ROM.

Official, with these you have to go through the same settings every time, delete stock pictures every time, and a million other tasks you've already done millions of times.

Shouldn't there be another type of ROMs that are just polished official ROMs? for example:

useless start menu items deleted, like getting started, or just the "phone" shortcut or whatever junk there is.

useless startup programs cleared.

settings, like touch sound disabled, and GPS com port to 7

useless files/programs removed, like stock ringtones, maybe except the classic bell one. stock pictures and musics removed, junk programs like the unusable microsoft my phone due to outdated version. (maybe add in the newest version). or IE, nobody uses it anyway.

There should be absolutely NO customizations, no color icons, no fancy titanium skins, no SPB no S2U2 no lock pro or whatever, and no titanium modifications either.

There should be NO missing useful programs, no missing Touchplayer, or Photos, or Large indicator, or volume control. maybe not everyone use them but unlike non-functional programs, some people do use these.

btw app idea: another auto rotate idea.

just a little program with no interface. At lunch, check G-sensor and compare with current screen rotation.

If matched, send OK/Close button

If not matched, rotate to current rotation

close program.

link this button to the ok/close button and it'll be gold. It has the benefits of both autorotate and manual rotation, plus you don't have to hold the button to rotate, and you'll have an extra button to spare.

Very good ideal. Now I was using Gary Crutcher"s version, Custom i8000 Lite ROM (Updated), Based on Windows Mobile Classic WM6.5 (JB1 & JB3) (5 Mar 2010). Using sprite backup to restore back all my programs and setting. It saved me a lot of time. I don't favourite the 6.5.x ROM of the bottom startup buttom and some programs not compatible with it. So now only on wm6.5 ROM.

Before Chainfire "AutoCloseProgram" patch. I nearly soft reset the Omnia2 every time prior to start a new session. Now it was gone. Checked free memory, cleanRAM etc became lesser and lesser.

Edited by skoda60

• 2 months later...