TCK 0.7 for CyanogenMod 5.0.4.1 packages

Guest teknologist

Guest teknologist

I tested them and ran the stock CFS version for over more than 1 week without issues.

As per the BFS version, I find it unstable under every ROM anyway...

Packages are attached to this post and the next one (for the BFS version).

Install like any update zip package through AmonRA's recovery menu.

Compared to stock Cyanogen kernel, these are compiled of the official Google tree without any modification to the source except for:

-Undervolted at sleep frequency <= 256Mhz (I know it's overrated but people keep on asking for it.. ;-)

-Small tweak to capacitive buttons position (thx to @kmobs)

These are exactly the same as TCK 0.7 bundled in MCR and Desire ROMS. They just have the CyanogenMod ramdisk instead of MCR's.

Enjoy !

PS: no support whatsoever! ;-)

TCK0.7_msm_2.6.33_CM.zip

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist
Thnx i'm gonna give it a try, let you know if i come across any issues <_<

You shouldn't run across any issues, except for the BFS version which is very unstable.

I don't recommend using it!

As per the normal version, I used it for more than a week and it worked like a charm ! Stable & fast !

Guest commodoor
You shouldn't run across any issues, except for the BFS version which is very unstable.

I don't recommend using it!

As per the normal version, I used it for more than a week and it worked like a charm ! Stable & fast !

ok thnx for letting me know. I used your kernel on my hero and i won't hesitate trying your kernels <_<

Wil you also make future releases compatible with CM?

Guest teknologist
ok thnx for letting me know. I used your kernel on my hero and i won't hesitate trying your kernels <_<

Wil you also make future releases compatible with CM?

I will, as long as I don't have to do support.

I don't have time to. The only "free" time I have is devoted to supporting TCK on MCR.

Cheers !

Guest commodoor
I will, as long as I don't have to do support.

I don't have time to. The only "free" time I have is devoted to supporting TCK on MCR.

Cheers !

I understand. i'm switching between MCR and CM just trying both, But i like you kernel so its nice that its available for both ROMs

Guest DistortedLoop

STUPID part of question redacted (but you can see it quoted by someone else below).

Still curious if this kernel has the same feature: We're discussing our annoyance with the failure to charge batteries over 90% charge state already on the CM kitchen thread; I'm curious if yours has it.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest xkonni
Which kernel rev is yours based off (.29, .32, .33...)?

We're discussing our annoyance with the failure to charge batteries over 90% charge state already on the CM kitchen thread; I'm curious if yours has it.

the attached file is named "...2.6.33..." so i guess thats the version then <_<

Guest commodoor
We're discussing our annoyance with the failure to charge batteries over 90% charge state already on the CM kitchen thread; I'm curious if yours has it.

I never had this??? i don't think it would be kernel issue. maybe your battery is starting to die <_< i'm running this kernel and don't have any issue's

Edited by commodoor

Guest DistortedLoop
the attached file is named "...2.6.33..." so i guess thats the version then <_<

Well, yes, that would be a clue, wouldn't it?

That's what I get for reading and posting at the crack of dawn before the morning coffee has fired up the brain a bit more.

Guest DistortedLoop
I never had this??? i don't think it would be kernel issue. maybe your battery is starting to die <_< i'm running this kernel and don't have any issue's

My battery is about to die? After a month? LOL.

You've never had it, or you've never noticed it?

It's definitely there on the CM5.0.4.1 from CM himself, and it's a feature, not a bug, allegedly it reduces the long term wear and tear on the battery. I am dubious as to the actual real world benefit.

If you're on CM, charge your battery 100%. Take the phone off and use it for a while, get it down to somewhere between 92% and 97%. Plug it into the charger. Take note that while you might be indicated as on AC power, you will not be charging the battery, and your charge state will not increase.

Since this is in the actual Google source, I'm told, then it's likely in this one, but can someone using it confirm yes or no to that?

Guest teknologist
My battery is about to die? After a month? LOL.

You've never had it, or you've never noticed it?

It's definitely there on the CM5.0.4.1 from CM himself, and it's a feature, not a bug, allegedly it reduces the long term wear and tear on the battery. I am dubious as to the actual real world benefit.

If you're on CM, charge your battery 100%. Take the phone off and use it for a while, get it down to somewhere between 92% and 97%. Plug it into the charger. Take note that while you might be indicated as on AC power, you will not be charging the battery, and your charge state will not increase.

Since this is in the actual Google source, I'm told, then it's likely in this one, but can someone using it confirm yes or no to that?

All NexusOne kernels are Google source. Mine is pristine android git whereas as far as I understand cyanogen applies many patches and customizes the kernel source further.

As I aim for stability I don't change much and stick as much as possible to the official sources. The only two things modded are the UV for low freqs and the capacitive buttons tweaks.

And I find both pretty useless so they might even disappear in future TCK versions. (UV is overrated and the capacitive button tweak doesn't change anything really IMHO after a few weeks of use)

As per the battery I guess this is controlled by the ROM, as I don't recall seeing this in MCR...but these are difficult things to spot.

Edited by teknologist

Guest DistortedLoop
All NexusOne kernels are Google source. Mine is pristine android git whereas as far as I understand cyanogen applies many patches and customizes the kernel source further.

As I aim for stability I don't change much and stick as much as possible to the official sources. The only two things modded are the UV for low freqs and the capacitive buttons tweaks.

And I find both pretty useless so they might even disappear in future TCK versions. (UV is overrated and the capacitive button tweak doesn't change anything really IMHO after a few weeks of use)

As per the battery I guess this is controlled by the ROM, as I don't recall seeing this in MCR...but these are difficult things to spot.

Yes, I understand about all kernels being sourced from Google, it's just what is added/modded and what else is done in the ROM.

In the CM ROM thread someone complained about the battery not charging even though he was only at 95%. I pointed out it was a new "feature" of the Cyanogen ROM, and someone corrected me by saying it was in the .32 kernel. I'm not sure if he's saying Google put it there or not, but assumed it meant that it wasn't something just from Cyanogen. Sounds like you're saying it is just Cyanogen.

I'm just curious if using your kernel on top of CM would still have that same behavior of the battery not charging until you've gone below 90%.

I think it's unique to CM, but someone else suggested it wasn't. I guess I should just wipe/flash/test a few different ROMs myself to see.

I agree with you on the undervolting. I don't see any significant improvement with my N1 on CM with persiasown's undervolted .33 kernel. I'm not sure about the buttons either - that's the kind of thing it's easy to convince yourself you see improvement with, even if it's really just you've gotten used to where the sweet-spot to touch is.

Guest teknologist
Yes, I understand about all kernels being sourced from Google, it's just what is added/modded and what else is done in the ROM.

In the CM ROM thread someone complained about the battery not charging even though he was only at 95%. I pointed out it was a new "feature" of the Cyanogen ROM, and someone corrected me by saying it was in the .32 kernel. I'm not sure if he's saying Google put it there or not, but assumed it meant that it wasn't something just from Cyanogen. Sounds like you're saying it is just Cyanogen.

I'm just curious if using your kernel on top of CM would still have that same behavior of the battery not charging until you've gone below 90%.

I think it's unique to CM, but someone else suggested it wasn't. I guess I should just wipe/flash/test a few different ROMs myself to see.

I don't have any idea, I was just saying that all the kernels come from the same source, mine is just less modified. Just trying to inform you guys. No aggression intended ;-)

Would be nice if you could test it and report. Would maybe interest those frustrated by that behavior.

I just said I would think it comes from the ROM...

I agree with you on the undervolting. I don't see any significant improvement with my N1 on CM with persiasown's undervolted .33 kernel. I'm not sure about the buttons either - that's the kind of thing it's easy to convince yourself you see improvement with, even if it's really just you've gotten used to where the sweet-spot to touch is.

Exactly ! ;-)

[EDIT] Just tested myself. Plugged in the NexusOne while it was charged at 96% and it kept charging and is at 99%. Means it's something with CM kernel then ! Therefore using TCK 0.7 should behave normally. i.e always charge, whatever you battery level is.

Edited by teknologist

Guest DistortedLoop
I don't have any idea, I was just saying that all the kernels come from the same source, mine is just less modified. Just trying to inform you guys. No aggression intended ;-)

I didn't sense any aggression! <_<

Would be nice if you could test it and report. Would maybe interest those frustrated by that behavior.

I just said I would think it comes from the ROM...

Exactly ! ;-)

[EDIT] Just tested myself. Plugged in the NexusOne while it was charged at 96% and it kept charging and is at 99%. Means it's something with CM kernel then ! Therefore using TCK 0.7 should behave normally. i.e always charge, whatever you battery level is.

I guess that backs up my original statement that it's from Cyanogen, not Google. Although that guy may have just meant in Cyanogen's .32 kernel. Who knows.

At any rate, good to know there's a stable way to avoid it with your kernel.

Guest teknologist
I didn't sense any aggression! <_<

I guess that backs up my original statement that it's from Cyanogen, not Google. Although that guy may have just meant in Cyanogen's .32 kernel. Who knows.

At any rate, good to know there's a stable way to avoid it with your kernel.

Wait...I tested it on MCR 1.8 with TCK 0.7. This doesn't mean anything then....maybe it's something in CM ROM too...

Only way to check is to test with CM 5.4.1 + TCK 0.7

Are you willing to ?

TIA!

Guest commodoor
Wait...I tested it on MCR 1.8 with TCK 0.7. This doesn't mean anything then....maybe it's something in CM ROM too...

Only way to check is to test with CM 5.4.1 + TCK 0.7

Are you willing to ?

TIA!

Ok i tried this and its true charging is stuck at 98% and doesn't go up. i'm running CM 5.4.1 + TCK 0.7 so this is not kernel based problem. i think the phone thinks its full charged and doens't charge, the light is green so meaning its fully charged.

Ok i tried this and its true charging is stuck at 98% and doesn't go up. i'm running CM 5.4.1 + TCK 0.7 so this is not kernel based problem. i think the phone thinks its full charged and doens't charge, the light is green so meaning its fully charged.

i can confirm on CM 5.0.4.1 that my led light is green indicating a full charge, but phone is stuck on 95%... i am plugged into my pc..not sure if that has any effect... the lockscreen indicates charging though...

anyone have any suggestions on radio version? 27 or new 54?

am on newly released .32 kernel posted by persiansown yesterday...

Edited by ieon

Guest teknologist
But what i thought was that .33 kernel didn't support the android or am i wrong here?

TCK 0.7 is based on kernel source 2.6.33-test1 from android git.

It's published by the android team at google and based on upstream 2.6.33 linux kernel.

Guest commodoor
TCK 0.7 is based on kernel source 2.6.33-test1 from android git.

It's published by the android team at google and based on upstream 2.6.33 linux kernel.

Ok thnx for the reply i understand it now

Guest DistortedLoop

Thanks for checking that combination and saving me the effort! This finally confirms that it's not the kernel as was suggested to me on the other thread, but the ROM itself, which was what I originally thought.

As for the green "charged" indicator, that's not necessarily an indicator of a 100% battery from what I've read. I'm not sure at what charge point it actually goes green, but a common "scolding" you'll get over on XDA for bringing that particular subject up is that green does not equal 100%

Today, with Pershoot's Undervoltage/OverClock .32 kernel (but not using overclock (setcpu set at 998)), after 6 hours, I am at 50% battery life, with what I would call very moderate, if not light usage. WiFi off the last three hours, strong 3G signal, etc.

I'm about ready to take Cyanogen mod off my phone. I love all it's features, but I've tried several different undervolted kernels, .32 & .33, used SetCPU, etc., and it's just a huge battery suck no matter what I do. Ironically, I haven't tried TCK with it. I guess I should, but I'm thinking of trying the Desire ROM, and I'll get a taste of TCK if I do that. ;-)

Guest xkonni

i can confirm on CM 5.0.4.1 that my led light is green indicating a full charge, but phone is stuck on 95%... i am plugged into my pc..not sure if that has any effect... the lockscreen indicates charging though...

As for the green "charged" indicator, that's not necessarily an indicator of a 100% battery from what I've read. I'm not sure at what charge point it actually goes green, but a common "scolding" you'll get over on XDA for bringing that particular subject up is that green does not equal 100%

true, i just double checked that. the light goes on before 100%.

but i am still sure that this has nothing to do with the rom you run, but the kernel and its the same with all kernels unless someone reversed patches.

take a look at this:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/ex...46a0c70fa912250

Once we fully charge, we stop charging until we drop to 99%

then we top off again. When in this state we will pretend

we're fully charged (reporting 100% to userspace) until

we drop below 99, to avoid confusion.

this lead to serious troubles when people first used 2.6.32, as this lock was not disabled when flashing 2.6.29 again or even rebooting and their phones would not charge at all.

you can read a lot about this here: +-20 pages

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...96&page=101

specially this comment from cyanogen, refering to the commit quoted above.

so they altered the charging behavior, here:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=kernel/ex...00af82b0df14238

to the way it is now, having a certain range in which the phone does not charge (if its coming from 100%)

from the first link, this should just be 99%, but might be a little lower as well.

with all that said i do not believe that cyanogen would change charging behavior in his rom.

its in the mainline kernel anyway.

by the way, i just charged my phone to 100%, let it drop to 99%, and plugged it in again. charged to 100% just fine.

running CM5.0.4.1 with the default kernel.