Changed Pagepool but available RAM keeps same

Guest Wilson@China

Guest Wilson@China

Hi, All

I changed the PP size from 20MB to 8MB by Wes58's ROMTool V2. After built the new ROM and flashing, I still got 144MB abailable RAM same as before changing. Is there anything wrong?

PS, I noticed the PP size changed to 8MB if I run this tool again.

The WM build is 23434 with OEM build 21889.

Any advise is very appreciated.

Wilson

Guest Gary Crutcher
Hi, All

I changed the PP size from 20MB to 8MB by Wes58's ROMTool V2. After built the new ROM and flashing, I still got 144MB abailable RAM same as before changing. Is there anything wrong?

PS, I noticed the PP size changed to 8MB if I run this tool again.

The WM build is 23434 with OEM build 21889.

Any advise is very appreciated.

Wilson

Did you check "Insert new XIP" at the bottom-left of the window?

Guest Wilson@China
Did you check "Insert new XIP" at the bottom-left of the window?

No, is it mandatory? I was thinking it need checked only while I changed the XIP core version. Ok, I will try it again. Thanks, Gary.

Guest Gary Crutcher
No, is it mandatory? I was thinking it need checked only while I changed the XIP core version. Ok, I will try it again. Thanks, Gary.

Also, you may want to download the latest kitchen and RomTool.

It will tell if the Page Pool was changed or not.

Keep in mind, the latest kitchen changes the directory layout.

You should read the new PDF file before cooking.

Guest Wilson@China
Also, you may want to download the latest kitchen and RomTool.

It will tell if the Page Pool was changed or not.

Keep in mind, the latest kitchen changes the directory layout.

You should read the new PDF file before cooking.

Gary, thanks again for your kindly reminding. I am using the latest version of the Wonderful tool.

Guest sinancetinkaya

I had the same issue with wes58's romtool. Delete xip.nb and change xip.nb.new to xip.nb, build again

Edited by sinancetinkaya

Guest wes58
I had the same issue with wes58's romtool. Delete xip.nb and change xip.nb.new to xip.nb, build again

When you are doing this, why don't you press "Save MsgLog" button and attach the file msglog.txt which should be in you current rom folder. I will have a look at it.

I built 4-5 roms when I was testing the problem with Samsung KIES, so page pool worked for me fine.

Edited by wes58

Guest sinancetinkaya
When you are doing this, why don't you press "Save MsgLog" button and attach the file msglog.txt which should be in you current rom folder. I will have a look at it.

I built 4-5 roms when I was testing the problem with Samsung KIES, so page pool worked for me fine.

Sorry man, I didn't think it's a serious issue. Have you tried wm6.1 xip ?

Guest wes58
Sorry man, I didn't think it's a serious issue. Have you tried wm6.1 xip ?

You know it's not about being a serious issue, but because I changed a lot of thing when I removed all those options, so I could miss something easily. I would like like to fix any bugs that can be found.

No, I haven't tried 6.1. I guess I should probably have it somewhere. I will check if the code is the same.

Guest sinancetinkaya
You know it's not about being a serious issue, but because I changed a lot of thing when I removed all those options, so I could miss something easily. I would like like to fix any bugs that can be found.

No, I haven't tried 6.1. I guess I should probably have it somewhere. I will check if the code is the same.

I'll dump/rebuild a new wm6.1 again and I'll let you know the results

Guest wes58
I'll dump/rebuild a new wm6.1 again and I'll let you know the results

I just checked the code in xip for 6.1 rom is the same so it should patch it OK.

Guest sinancetinkaya

Rom Folder E:\ROM\i8000test

OS is installed drive D

After the building, this is the xip.nb

E:\ROM\i8000test>osnbtool -d xip.nb 1 xip.bin

OS ROM Partition Tool V1.59 By Weisun :> PDAclan.com

Sector size : 0x00000800

Extra data bytes : 0x00000000

OS IMAGE found.

Partitions infomation:

Part-0 type: BOOT SECTION image

Part-1 type: XIP RAM Image

Part-2 type: IMGFS file system

Signature: SRPX

CompressVersion: 5

Uncompressed size: 334000

Deompress processing...

Successfully decompressed to xip.bin

E:\ROM\i8000test>osnbtool -ap xip.bin 4

Find "NKKD8" signature at offset: 0x002C97C0

Find instruction at offset: 0x002C9A80

Find PagePool Value at offset: 0x002C9A90

Old value: 0x01400000(20MB)

Sure to modify it to 0x00400000 (4MB)(y/n)? n

User cancel.
this is the xip.nb.new
E:\ROM\i8000test>osnbtool -d xip.nb.new 1 xip.bin

OS IMAGE found.

Partitions infomation:

Deompress processing...

Successfully decompressed to xip.bin

Old value: 0x00400000(4MB)

User cancel.
This xip is dumped from pdanew.nb0
E:\ROM\i8000test>o2util -nb0split pdanew.nb0

Omnia2 ROM utility // © 2009 by RodrigoFD. Version 1.0.3643.26198

Successfully expanded file to size 455081984

Successfully extracted 1 sections from NB0 file.

E:\ROM\i8000test>osnbtool -d pdanew.os.nb 1 XIP.bin

OS IMAGE found.

Partitions infomation:

Deompress processing...

Successfully decompressed to XIP.bin

Old value: 0x01400000(20MB)

User cancel.
Here is MsgLog.txt
Done... Check for Error Messages.

*** Created File Finished ROM\pdaNew.nb0

*** Created File imgfs-new.bin

..\tools\ImgfsFromDump.exe ... started

*** Created File xip.nb.new

tools\osnbtool.exe ... started

ExtReloc exited.

tools\extreloc.exe ... started

BuildOS exited.

tools\buildos.exe ... started

*** Files/Folders Copied to E:\ROM\i8000test\XIPTools\xip_out.bin

*** Certificate, File Signing Patched

*** Page Pool Patched

*** Created File E:\ROM\i8000test\XIPTools\XipOrg\xip.bin

*** Files/Folders Copied to E:\ROM\i8000test\XIPTools\XipOrg\xip.bin.bak

Please Wait...

As you see xip.nb.new is ok but your tool uses the original xip.nb for building. May be different OS, language, OS folder who knows. I have had some issues with other tools because of turkish OS. So I didn't take it serious. Thanks a lot for your work <_<

Edited by sinancetinkaya

Guest wes58

Rom Folder E:\ROM\i8000test

OS is installed drive D

Here is MsgLog.txt

Done... Check for Error Messages.

*** Created File Finished ROM\pdaNew.nb0

*** Created File imgfs-new.bin

..\tools\ImgfsFromDump.exe ... started

*** Created File xip.nb.new

tools\osnbtool.exe ... started

ExtReloc exited.

tools\extreloc.exe ... started

BuildOS exited.

tools\buildos.exe ... started

*** Files/Folders Copied to E:\ROM\i8000test\XIPTools\xip_out.bin

*** Certificate, File Signing Patched

*** Page Pool Patched

*** Created File E:\ROM\i8000test\XIPTools\XipOrg\xip.bin

*** Files/Folders Copied to E:\ROM\i8000test\XIPTools\XipOrg\xip.bin.bak

Please Wait...

So, from the MsgLog.txt it looks like xip.bin was patched and page pool changed. New xip_out.bin was created from patched xip.bin and osnbtool.exe inserted this file xip.nb and created xip.nb.new. This file, xip.nb.new is used to create a new rom pdaNew.nb0

But from your dump of pdanew.nb0 it looks like it didn't change page pool value or didn't use xip.nb.new. That's really strange. I will have a look.

Thanks for this information.

- So you are using version 2.0.2?

- WM version that you were testing is 6.1?

Guest sinancetinkaya
So, from the MsgLog.txt it looks like xip.bin was patched and page pool changed. New xip_out.bin was created from patched xip.bin and osnbtool.exe inserted this file xip.nb and created xip.nb.new. This file, xip.nb.new is used to create a new rom pdaNew.nb0

But from your dump of pdanew.nb0 it looks like it didn't change page pool value or didn't use xip.nb.new. That's really strange. I will have a look.

Thanks for this information.

- So you are using version 2.0.2?

- WM version that you were testing is 6.1?

Roger,

romTool2.0.2 and wm6.1 21006

4416115987_c19bf4bbe2_o.png

One question if you know,

Why can't I disable security warning?

After flashing, it always has the old value even I change [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies] "0000101a"=dword:1

I believe one of samsung stuffs has been changing it but I couldn't find it yet

Edited by sinancetinkaya

Guest wes58
Roger,

romTool2.0.2 and wm6.1 21006

4416115987_c19bf4bbe2_o.png

One question if you know,

Why can't I disable security warning?

After flashing, it always has the old value even I change [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies] "0000101a"=dword:1

I believe one of samsung stuffs has been changing it but I couldn't find it yet

Ok, I found the problem and it was something that remained from my changing/removing some of the options.

Can you please check this version and see if it works for you. If it is OK I will add it to my thread.

Security policies are set in:

OEM\OEMDrivers\mxip_oemdrivers_100.provxml.

Note that values there are in decimal, so 4097 (dec) equals to 1001 (hex).

The other place where policies are set is SYS\Shell 1f1aca24-d942-464a-9281-10567741499c.rgu.

Which ever file is executed last (I think it will be .provxml) that's what the values will be set. I never worried about this, because I use Sashimi to restore my applications and other setting and thats where those values are also changed.

romTool_test.rar

Guest sinancetinkaya

Tested and it's working. If you're going to share a new version, can you fix the rom version error too ? Apparently your tool gives error when we use a 5 character rom version like I8000JUIJ1 in settings tab

Edited by sinancetinkaya

Guest wes58
Tested and it's working. If you're going to share a new version, can you fix the rom version error too ? Apparently your tool gives error when we use a 5 character rom version like I8000JUIJ1 in settings tab

Ok, done. I had PDA version set to 11 characters before.

Thanks for testing.

Guest Wilson@China

Thanks for your recommendation, I will try agin.

Guest Wilson@China
Don't you read whole thread :mellow:

Wes58 has fixed it <_<

Sorry for my poor English, I didn't realize that Wes had fixed pagepool issue but only the Security Check bug. Anyhow, I did the rename/replace manually and the RAM bacame larger. Still strange thing is I changed from orginal 20MB to 8MB, but total RAM only increased 5MB instead of 12. Why? Sorry again for the newbie's question.

Guest sinancetinkaya
Sorry for my poor English, I didn't realize that Wes had fixed pagepool issue but only the Security Check bug. Anyhow, I did the rename/replace manually and the RAM bacame larger. Still strange thing is I changed from orginal 20MB to 8MB, but total RAM only increased 5MB instead of 12. Why? Sorry again for the newbie's question.

Your English is better than mine. I'm assuming you're using wm6.5 and that's why I hate it. It's a ram monster <_<

Guest wes58

As I wrote in my romTool thread before. The default setting of page pool is 20MB, this would give you ~139MB of Ram (that's what we used to have on previous roms). Samsung is changing it to 15MB (after flashing the phone). That's why you have ~144MB of Ram without making any changes to page pool. If you change page pool to 8MB you should have ~139 + (20 - 8) = 151MB of Ram

Guest Wilson@China
As I wrote in my romTool thread before. The default setting of page pool is 20MB, this would give you ~139MB of Ram (that's what we used to have on previous roms). Samsung is changing it to 15MB (after flashing the phone). That's why you have ~144MB of Ram without making any changes to page pool. If you change page pool to 8MB you should have ~139 + (20 - 8) = 151MB of Ram

Hi, Wes, your calculation sounds correct. But I found strange thing is, before I flashing JA3(WWE), the RAM is 139M. After that, became 144M as you mentioned. But even I flash others version with PP size 20MB(read out by your tool), the RAM is still 144M instead of 139M. So I believe the result 144MB from Samsung should not via PP size changing but others way (properly reserved partition and defined by eboot?).

If my assumption is right, then I think I should gain 12MB more instead of 7MB. What do you think?

Guest wes58
Hi, Wes, your calculation sounds correct. But I found strange thing is, before I flashing JA3(WWE), the RAM is 139M. After that, became 144M as you mentioned. But even I flash others version with PP size 20MB(read out by your tool), the RAM is still 144M instead of 139M. So I believe the result 144MB from Samsung should not via PP size changing but others way (properly reserved partition and defined by eboot?).

If my assumption is right, then I think I should gain 12MB more instead of 7MB. What do you think?

20MB page pool is hard coded into the rom (or nk.exe). Samsung overwrites this value with 15MB page pool but this only happens when you boot the phone. If you dump the rom from the phone you still will see 20MB page pool defined in the rom. What we are doing when we patch the page pool value we are writing a new value (let's say 8MB) to memory where it is stored, and we are disabling the code so Samsung can't write 15MB (by eboot), which would overwite our (8MB) page pool value.

Guest Wilson@China
20MB page pool is hard coded into the rom (or nk.exe). Samsung overwrites this value with 15MB page pool but this only happens when you boot the phone. If you dump the rom from the phone you still will see 20MB page pool defined in the rom. What we are doing when we patch the page pool value we are writing a new value (let's say 8MB) to memory where it is stored, and we are disabling the code so Samsung can't write 15MB (by eboot), which would overwite our (8MB) page pool value.

Now I see, thanks for your explanation.